Boot up sound on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I leave my car running 24/7 and only shut it off for maintenance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 iMac 20", 2013 iMac 24". 2007 Mini
"Booooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggg"!!

Didn't work on my iMac, plus why have extra bloat ware? That is a big criticism of Windows, after all.
I'd like to know - from all who say SN doesn't work... did you turn the sound off inside the app? I have 3 iMacs... all different models and SN works on all of them. You DO have to turn the sound off in the app - not just download!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be on to something.... As I stated above, it works on my two iMacs, but I turned off the sound first from within the app just as the instructions stated.

We did have one user in our forums who claimed it didn't work at first, and then when he tried again, it did work. Perhaps the instructions for using the app need to be more clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You may be on to something.... As I stated above, it works on my two iMacs, but I turned off the sound first from within the app just as the instructions stated.

Come on... do you REALLY think I forgot to actually use the app?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Come on... do you REALLY think I forgot to actually use the app?[/QUOTE

No, you're a savvy user but some other folks are not. Anyway, I think we have just about exhausted this subject.

Thanks to everyone for your input and opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i too went into the app to fiddle with it. It simply did not work n o matter how hard I tried (to kill the start up gong).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully this isn't ominous, but out of the blue, the gong has come back by itself. I haven't gone near Terminal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My iMac is rebooted when software update requires it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I mean I disabled the gong via Terminal a few months ago, but all of a sudden it "gongs" again upon start up without I having done anything in Terminal to enable it. So, I'm just wondering why it reverted to the factory setting all by itself.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Personally I find it rather reassuring to hear that sound it means my Mac is booting successfully. If you don't hear it you've got problems.:Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No I mean I disabled the gong via Terminal a few months ago, but all of a sudden it "gongs" again upon start up without I having done anything in Terminal to enable it. So, I'm just wondering why it reverted to the factory setting all by itself.

It's hard to say what you did that caused it to reset. Although it might seem like it did this "all by itself" I really doubt it. Computers are supposed to do only what we tell them to do, and for the most part, that's what happens. Since we can't possibly know everything you've done on your Mac recently, we're playing a guessing game. Did you install anything? Did you use any kind of utility? Did you boot from a different drive, and then back from your usual start up volume? The possibilities are almost endless...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

We did have one user in our forums who claimed it didn't work at first, and then when he tried again, it did work. Perhaps the instructions for using the app need to be more clear.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it takes 1 or 2 reboots for it to start working, and that is what I've experienced.
I wish if we have to have the bloody thing, we could change it like cellphone ringtones or something. This latest 'BONG' is hideous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although it might seem like it did this "all by itself" I really doubt it.

But it did. One day I had the boot up sound squelched. The next day it came back. Just like that.

I'm leaving the sound enabled, just to play it safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully this isn't ominous, but out of the blue, the gong has come back by itself. I haven't gone near Terminal.

It's done that on me, too. Start Ninja DID work on my clean-install of Yosemite. However, I was having big problems with this one external hard drive, and I wiped it, sterilized it, cussed at it, baptized it... then put Snow Leopard back on it to see if it still worked with it.
It did, so I upgraded to Yosemite on it and so far all is well, except that I had a startup bong-killing application on SL (not start ninja) and now here in Yosemite I can't seem to get rid of the sound-killer for SL. Can't help but feel the 2 apps are cancelling each other's effectiveness...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I'd like a hack that lets the chime sound through my USB audio interface that is connected to a nice stereo and a pair of room shaking speakers... Can anyone help me with that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'd like a hack that lets the chime sound through my USB audio interface that is connected to a nice stereo and a pair of room shaking speakers... Can anyone help me with that?

The startup chime will sound via external speakers connected thru the audio out port. I'm not sure about USB connections.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
The startup chime will sound via external speakers connected thru the audio out port. I'm not sure about USB connections.

- Nick

Are you sure? I've had both of my intel Macs connected to external speakers through the headphone jack and no dice. My PPC ones do tho...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gong sound from the iMac itself only, not external speakers. Mid '11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You guys are absolutely right (dotdotdot and pinto79)…no Mac startup chime from external speakers via the audio out jack (just tested on my 2011 MacBook Pro).

WOW…I don't know how I could have been so "clueless" to this sort of thing for so long!!!;) I definitely learned something new today!!!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.