Best way to use iPod in a car

Reaction score
I have a 06 Subaru Forester and purchased a iPod a few months ago. Now I have most of my collection on mp3 format so it's hard to go in my car and only have CD's to listen to. I know the 07 Foresters were supposed to have a iPod feature. I think it was something as simply as a plug that you can connect the headphone output to your stereo but unfortunately my car doesn't have anything like this.
What is the best route to go for this? I see a lot of fm transmitters that you plug in so that you can just put your radio to the fm frequency to listen. Is this the best way to do it? There are so many products out there that do this so do any in particular stand out? It seems some even have a feature where you can just put it into a dock which plugs into a car charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
My two ways are via fm transmitter and cassette adapter. Here's a link to my fm setup (with XM):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375261&postcount=715

FM

My fm transmitter is actually my XM satellite radio device. It has an auxilliary input that I use with my iPod shuffle. There are also fm xmitters for iPods, so my guess is they operate similarly.

The plus with fm is you can use it reliably. The minus is that if you travel and you're in a relatively congested area (US northeast corridor, for instance), you'll invariably encounter a need to change radio frequencies. That's when you can use the...

Cassette Adapter

I use the Sony model CPA-9C available through Apple. I've tried others, and this one works well, though it's not particularly durable. My first one lasted around 6 months with fairly steady use. Then the electronics inside apparently fried.

Radio Shack has one, but for me the cassette transport wheels were unacceptably noisy after a couple of months. I also tried a Monster brand adapter, but it kept causing my cassette deck to reverse direction so it was promptly returned. (My car's audio system is a built-in Bose system.)

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
The FM transmitters generally are awful. I used one once in a rental car in San Francisco and had to change its transmission frequency every few miles, and even when there wasn't interference from local stations, the sound quality was awful.

You might talk to your dealer to see if they sell any dealer-installable options, or you can go to an audio dealer to look at after-market kits. They'll all certainly be more expensive than an FM kit, but you'll get loads better sound quality.

You don't have a cassette deck in your car do you? My Volvo has both CD+Cassette and so I use one of those tape adapters and it sounds good enough for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
try a local cartoys or bestbuy.. they offer wireless FM transmitters that I hear are great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
OK sound quality = FM transmitter or Cassette deck adapter
Good sound quality = cable from your headphone jack to the input on your stereo, often via a CD changer input.
Best sound quality = cable from iPod dock to stereo, usually lets you control the ipod from the stereo, sill display song playing.

I use option 2, its the cheapest for best sound. Given I already had an aftermarket stereo, so I knew that I could do it. What you can do depends on the stereo in your car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I have a tape adapter and to me it sounds great. Much better than the FM transmitter.

OP
M
Reaction score
It sounds like a tape adapter would be the perfect solution for me except my car doesn't have a cassette unit. It only has a CD player. It actually is a built in 6 cd changer that is built in the stereo itself (not in the trunk like some others). I'm not very good at this and if I was I'm sure I could somehow wire something in or figure out a way to take a wire from the headphone jack. Unfortunately even though the fm transmitter isn't the best option that may be my only option. I live in Denver, CO and there's a lot of stations around here but then it's rural so maybe I won't get as much interference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
There are also "inline" FM transmitters. These splice into your FM radio's antenna cable and gives a much stronger signal. A good audio shop should be able to tell you more...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
It sounds like a tape adapter would be the perfect solution for me except my car doesn't have a cassette unit. It only has a CD player. It actually is a built in 6 cd changer that is built in the stereo itself (not in the trunk like some others). I'm not very good at this and if I was I'm sure I could somehow wire something in or figure out a way to take a wire from the headphone jack. Unfortunately even though the fm transmitter isn't the best option that may be my only option. I live in Denver, CO and there's a lot of stations around here but then it's rural so maybe I won't get as much interference.

I also live in denver colorado and I use a FM transmitter its a kensington.
I spent $80 on it and it works great.. no static issues..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
The best two FM transmitters, IMHO, are the Dlo TransPod and the Griffin Roadtrip. I have the TransPod and it works fine although sound quality does suffer occasionally (depending on interference level.) They are both a bit bulkier than some people might like, but they seem to work reliably across the most different models of car. But i f you have a cassette deck, use the tape adapters- they're reliable and CHEAP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just want to say that whomever just gave me negative feedback on the "inline" transmitter post should read more carefully. I had initially suggested against FM transmitters and so I know these were already discussed. I posted a followup message to include the inline connection.

A standard FM transmitter works "over the air" to send the signal to one's FM radio and is very susceptible to interference and adjoining stations. An "inline" transmitter is a physical connection, and provides a much stronger signal because it connects directly "inline" to the car's antenna and therefore is less affected by noise from external transmissions.

Thanks for using the feedback system though, just please be more careful before dishing out the red dots.

Reaction score
had the fm xmitter and the tape thing and got tired of the lack of sound quality so bought Sony car stereo off of Amazon for 135 bucks and easily installed myself. now i play and control the ipod right from the Sony deck in the dash. sweet sound man!! Sony CDX-GT610Ui.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have the Griffin iTrip and it works well. The range could be better. If you hold your iPod, and your hand is covering the iTrip, it makes the signal fuzzy. Other than that, it works very well. You can set it to whatever station you want it to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Curious. I borrowed an iTrip from a friend and had a terrible experience with it (both in my own car, and in a rental car). It was the older 4G version that's powered by the iPod, so maybe the new ones (that are self-powered) are able to put out a stronger signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Depends on the model of changer, but the main problem is how to kid the head unit into thinking there's a changer on the other end.

The possible solution is that the changer has a control cable, AND audio cables. If you leave the control cable connected, and a CD in the changer, you can then connect the Ipod to the audio cables (probably just a pair of RCA plugs). You would then 'play' the CD, but the sound source would be the Ipod.

Very messy and inelegant solution, but if your head unit isn't compatible with Ipod, it might work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, it sounds like he's got a built-in changer (built-in, as in, to the head unit). Your solution is a great option (and one I'd completely forgotten about) for those of us who have heads that can control an external changer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, it sounds like he's got a built-in changer (built-in, as in, to the head unit). Your solution is a great option (and one I'd completely forgotten about) for those of us who have heads that can control an external changer.

Yeah, I didn't read it very well, did I? As you say, I'm thinking of the Sony thing I had.

I use the tape adapter thing, which works fine. Not too many cars have tape decks now though.

Reaction score
I have a Griffin iTrip and while there are times when I experience some interference, this is so negligible compared to the cost of rewiring or changing my car audio, it is also great for playing in the house, for example I have a stereo in the kitchen and a proper hi-fi wired up in the living room and the dining room, with the itrip i can set both items to receive the fm signal and I get the same music playing throughout the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Griffin iTrip and while there are times when I experience some interference, this is so negligible compared to the cost of rewiring or changing my car audio, it is also great for playing in the house, for example I have a stereo in the kitchen and a proper hi-fi wired up in the living room and the dining room, with the itrip i can set both items to receive the fm signal and I get the same music playing throughout the house.

Mileage seems to vary on those things. I had one for a while, and it was awful.

I was also forever forgetting to switch it off, and running the batteries down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod 8GB Nano
Your solution is going to be based on 1) how much you want to spend, and 2) How serious an audiophile you are (how much interference you are willing to deal with.)

I have an AUX-Input in my aftermarket stereo, so I bought a $20 Monster able pulled the dash myself. I plugged the cable in, ran it down and out from under the dash panel. (I have never done any radio installation work, it was fairly easy.) The input cable plugs into the headphone jack, and I just navigate on my iPod. Sound is PERFECT, there is no interference, and no need to change the frequency like on the FM Transmitter.

FM Transmiters are about $80+ for a good one. You can likely get an aftermarket stereo in the neighborhood of $150 with Aux-Inputs, and not worry about the issues involved with the FM Transmiter. If you go with the FM Transmiter, and don't like it THEN decide to go to the direct connection, there is over $200 for your iPod connection.

Just something to think about.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.