Battery Not Charging

Reaction score
Two or three times, I started the day with my battery at 7-8%. In other words, the battery had not charged over night, even though the power adaptor was plugged in. This morning, the battery was down to 6% and would not charge at all. Do I need to reset the SMC? This is a 2017 model (see my signature).

Note: It just began to recharge, tho I don't know why.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey there Marrk,

I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro...and as we both know...these models don't have the old mag-safe plug that magnetically connects to the power-port of a MacBook Pro. The ever so convenient green LED on the ma-safe connector always told us if we had a good connection (since the LED wouldn't illuminate if there wasn't a good connection.

With our 2017 MacBook Pro's (other models as well)...we only have USB-C ports that we use for peripheral devices & charging (and no convenient illuminated LED on the charging cord).

Here's what I've found/learned regarding the USB-C charging connector:

* I've found with the Apple USB-C charging plug/connector...it sometimes tends to work it's way out of the USB-C port during normal use. If it only works its way out 1-2 millimeters (hardly noticeable)...it will stop charging. If I push/snug-up the power connecter all the way back into the USB-C port...the MacBook Pro makes the little "happy sound" that it's properly connected...and charging will begin/resume.

* If you find what I described above happens a lot...maybe try charging from a different port (the 13" 2017 MacBook Pro has 2 USB-C ports).

HTH,

Nick

p.s. What I'm calling "USB-C" ports are technically Thunderbolt 3 ports.:)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick. I don't think it's the cable that is causing the failure — why would my battery go to 6% overnight when the laptop was "Sleeping"? — but I will keep an eye on all the connections.

I did the reset on the SMC, and set Battery Preferences to Restore Defaults.

We shall see. Hope this thing doesn't crap out on me again, as I'm just starting a new cycle of at-home work. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's the cable that is causing the failure — why would my battery go to 6% overnight when the laptop was "Sleeping"?...
You didn't tell us what the charge % was when you put it to "Sleep" at night.

For example...if you put it to sleep with 8-10% battery charge at night...and next morning it was at 8%...then that says it didn't charge properly. If you put it to sleep with 80-90% charge...and next morning it was 8%...then this would be a completely different situation.

Not saying the cable is the issue. Saying that (possibly)...if the cable connector at the port wiggles its way out just 1 millimeter (not 100% flush with the USB-C port)...this could be the issue (has happened to me).

This may not be the issue...just something to consider.:)

Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
In the evening, I put the laptop to Sleep. At that time, it has 90% to 100% charge on the battery. It spends the night with the Power Adaptor plugged in and turned on.

I haven't noticed that any cable connectors were not fully inserted and engaged. I always check to see if the "plug" icon on the top menu bar is showing, and it always is when the adaptor is connected to the laptop.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hope that helps.

It seems that Apple is fairly aware of several charging problems with those Mac that might be worth wild reading through in case something was missed or not too obvious:

I guess I am mistaken by thinking that a third party had made an adapter that indicated when those MacBooks were charging or not, but maybe it's not even possible.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
It seems that Apple is fairly aware of several charging problems with those Mac that might be worth wild reading through in case something was missed or not too obvious:

I guess I am mistaken by thinking that a third party had made an adapter that indicated when those MacBooks were charging or not, but maybe it's not even possible.

- Patrick
=======

Hmm. Nothing about resetting the SMC. Guess I blew that one. :D

EDIT: See Post 9 below.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Nothing about resetting the SMC. Guess I blew that one. :D

Well Marrk, I'm pretty sure I would have done exactly the same thing if I had been in the same situation. Apple seems to tend to be a bit on the conservative side with many of its support articles. 😏

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry!! I missed it!!

Check the power outlet
Make sure that you've connected your USB-C power adapter to a working power outlet. Unplug your USB-C power adapter from the power outlet, then plug in a known good device, such as a lamp or clock to confirm it powers on properly. If the power outlet works, connect your USB-C power adapter and try to charge your Mac. If your Mac still won't charge, shut down your Mac and close the display for 30 seconds, then open the display and try to charge your Mac again. If you're not using a Mac with Apple silicon, reset the SMC.

But I've got the Intel chip. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What it's telling you Marrk, is that you should reset the SMC if you have an Intel Mac, which you do have.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry about my sloppy posts yesterday. Just got a lot on my mind. Maybe we all do, these days. Anyway, just want you to know that I value you guys, and I am grateful for your help. You are aways generous and really very groovy.

Thank you.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Groovy huh? Well thats a nice thing to say about us, thanks.
Going back to the charging issue, doesn't your Battery icon on the Menu Bar indicate when the device is connected to AC power? Mine shows a two pin plug over the Battery icon. Also if you go to System Preferences > Power > Battery, Big Sur shows the charge for the Battery and if it's connected to a charger.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sorry about my sloppy posts yesterday. Just got a lot on my mind. Maybe we all do, these days. Anyway, just want you to know that I value you guys, and I am grateful for your help. You are aways generous and really very groovy.

Thank you.

Perfectly understandable, Marrk. Brave and courteous of you to respond as you have. We shall continue to be "generous and groovy" (y) :)

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Groovy huh? Well thats a nice thing to say about us, thanks.
Going back to the charging issue, doesn't your Battery icon on the Menu Bar indicate when the device is connected to AC power? Mine shows a two pin plug over the Battery icon. Also if you go to System Preferences > Power > Battery, Big Sur shows the charge for the Battery and if it's connected to a charger.

To Rod: In Post #5 above, I stated that I always check to see "a two pin plug over the Battery icon."

To All Here: I haven't experienced any charging problems for the past two days. Maybe the SMC reset did the trick. I'll keep an eye on things and let you know. Thanks, again, for the help. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't experienced any charging problems for the past two days. Maybe the SMC reset did the trick. I'll keep an eye on things and let you know.
Congrats. Fingers crossed all remains good.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe the SMC reset did the trick. I'll keep an eye on things and let you know. Thanks, again, for the help. :)

It is certainly listed as one of the items that gets "fixed" during an SMC Reset:
Troubleshooting SMC Issues
The system management controller determines the settings for your computer fans, lights, power adapter, charging, video display issues and overall system performance...

Often a good fix-it thing to at least try when they tend to go goofy... 😏

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In the new M1 systems, there is no SMC, but a separate device called the Always on processor (AOP). The AOP handles the system settings like the SMC used to do. It is reset by turning off the machine and removing power for a bit.

OP
M
Reaction score
This link from an above post states that one possible remedy is to shut down the computer and close the display. I am wondering what closing the display does to a computer that is "Shut Down."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am wondering what closing the display does to a computer that is "Shut Down."
It does sound a little like overkill. But if a computer is already experiencing non-normal issues (not charging properly in this case)...trying things that also may not seem "normal" certainly can't hurt.

Also remember all Apple portable computers have a sensor that when the display is closed...puts the computer to sleep (as long as someone is not working in clamshell mode). Maybe there's some sort of relationship when the computer is shut down + display is closed...somehow helps make all the computers circuitry "extra" happy.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.