Audio Question

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Dave,

Yes. That (mini-toslnk to toslink) is what you want. It will work in the headphone jack of every "Intel" iMac, MB, MBP, MBA and Mini to date.

Reaction score
Dave,

Yes. That (mini-toslnk to toslink) is what you want. It will work in the headphone jack of every "Intel" iMac, MB, MBP, MBA and Mini to date.

No that's not what he wants. His amp has no digital input.

To the OP, you can't use a minijack to RCA cable either. You need a minijack to DIN cable - which is probably what you were using with your PC. Just plug the amp in as it was, and plug the minijack into the headphones socket of your Mac. Nothing else to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

To the OP, you can't use a minijack to RCA cable either. You need a minijack to DIN cable - which is probably what you were using with your PC. Just plug the amp in as it was, and plug the minijack into the headphones socket of your Mac. Nothing else to it.

Well, just some points of clarification to the above statements:

As to the Toslink connection on an iMac, my question was for general information and not that I was planning to try an optical link since I have just 2-channel stereo, but others w/ a system that could benefit from this technology would be interested. Now there is no reason that I may not upgrade in the future, so the information was still useful to me.

Second, I agree that the DIN connections should work fine, but he amplifier described (and shown in a pic) also has R/L RCA AUX inputs and the adapter shown would still be an alternate solution. Dave :)

Reaction score
Well, just some points of clarification to the above statements:

As to the Toslink connection on an iMac, my question was for general information and not that I was planning to try an optical link since I have just 2-channel stereo, but others w/ a system that could benefit from this technology would be interested. Now there is no reason that I may not upgrade in the future, so the information was still useful to me.

Second, I agree that the DIN connections should work fine, but he amplifier described (and shown in a pic) also has R/L RCA AUX inputs and the adapter shown would still be an alternate solution. Dave :)

Fair comment. But I was particularly addressing the OP's needs. To state again though, a minijack to RCA cable cannot be used in this instance as the RCA input on the amp in question is a phono (turntable) input. You can't connect a line source to a phono input because of an impedance mismatch. His only option is minijack to DIN.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

That's why the response was not posted for the op - but, was specifically addressed to Dave and his question regarding using a toslink on his Macs.

It would be nice if every thread only had a single question and answer, but, that's just not the case a lot of the time.

This is the correct answer for the op's original question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.