• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

April 18th!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The priority of desktop/Powerbook is rendured irrelevant by the cooling issue

OP
T

TylerMoney

I just don't think they're ready for the powerbook g5 yet. Even if they have the technology...I don't think it's laptopable (new word) yet...I could be wrong, and if I am...I'll admit to it. I just think'll itl'll be longer than we think...I mean..everything else has..just about....and they haven't even said anything about them yet...it's going to be april in a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well that's a good point, especially seeing that most apps that need that much speed are bound to be in studios and places where towers are just fine. Me doing my homework in a Barnes and Noble, I don't really need a G5 super speed :p But it would be nice! The main thing is to get the word out. Mac, be it G4 or 5 is better then M$ :)

OP
W

wiggin1605

People!

The powerbook is called POWER book for a reason. They have more POWER then the iBooks do they are meant for professional using. Such as I know for a fact that the tv show Scrubs is edited on power books using final cut pro. fasheezy you use the word chipset to much. You people may not have any need for a G5 "chipset" in a lap top but there a lot of professional users out there who could really use the power. If you guys just surf the web and type get a iBook cus it sounds like you really don't need one. I say seeing as the iBooks use the G4 chip now apple isn't going to have the power book and the ibook have the same chip for more then a 6 months an they switched over awhile ago so its time they switch to the G5 for the power books now. Also if you remember when the first power book came out they said it was a desk top replacement they were about the same speed as the towers. Why cant they have power books the same speed as the power macs?? they w.ill opnly be the same speed fpr a lil while any way

OP
T

TylerMoney

they don't have exactly the same chip...the powrebooks stil have a newer..slightly more powerful chip.....and I'm not saying we don't need them yet...I'm just saying..they aren't going to be out this soon...apple hasn't even more than hinted at it....and they're still uping the G5's...which could mean a soon release...but not april 18...and if they do come out that day...I'll be wrong..and that's ok..but if they don't..you'll be wrong.

OP
T

TylerMoney

No, cause I'm accepting the outcome either way. It doesn't really matter when it comes out to me...I just think it's going to be later than you think.

OP
W

WilliS

april 18th is a sunday....no one will announce anything on a sunday...i would put money on that

its not gonna happen...apple is happy with the rave reviews of their g5's...and they are letting people oooh and aaah over them while they work out the bugs of whatever is in store for their summer shows.

i would say the next update from apple will be in may or later... and it wont be a g5 powerbook

first the update of the g5 desktop... (which im wondering... is the dual 2 ghz motherboard able to accept whatever upgrades they make? if they go to dual 3ghz in the future, would i be able to upgrade?)

then the update of the powerbook to g5

for any of you who own a laptop, you know how long the battery life lasts? not long enough... and with the amount of heat produced from the g5 chip, and the need to cool it, you are looking at a battery eating machine.

just incase you want to try to refute me: heat = energy = battery power... to cool the heat, you need MORE battery power....

ever notice the only things really taking a lot of energy in your house is the stove / heater and the refridgerator?... it takes energy to heat and cool things...... the battery life of laptops is way too short....if apple wanted to come out with anything impressive...it would be a 10 hour battery +++++...i would buy one tomorrow if it could run at full power and keep to 10 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
That's a very good point. Battery limitations are clearly the bottleneck for a G5 powerbook. Cooling must be a big challenge as well... ;)

OP
W

wiggin1605

You for get

You are forgetting energy transfer. Not all the energy to cool it comes from the electricity alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Well all the energy for any fans comes from electricity, I guess he's refering to heat sinks. But those are just passive heat transfering metal things designed to conduct heat away from the CPU

OP
W

wiggin1605

Go back to school.

Mabey all of you should go back to school and pay attention!!!

How old are you people any way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
wiggin1605: I am in school and I do pay attention. :)

I just like Spanish better than Physics. :D

(My roommate's the science major).

I'm 19.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Umm :confused: what was wrong with what I posted? :rolleyes:

OP
T

TylerMoney

Um....why the forks it matter? That isn't main point we're making. It's the third of april today...we have a few days to see what happens.

OP
W

WilliS

Lol im an engineering student at Pennsylvania State University...i am in school.. and im 19

"You are forgetting energy transfer. Not all the energy to cool it comes from the electricity alone."

the amount of heat the processor produces would never be able to be merely cooled by "transfer of energy" from processor to case, and cooled by the air, if that is what you are suggesting

also, in my argument i was saying that you will not cool water well enough without using lots of power. if you know anything about chemistry or biology, you would know water has a very high specific heat. its not easy to cool water like you can cool metal....so if you even followed what i was saying, cooling water, without a radiator, would be next to impossible... a radiator would take more energy, leaving less battery power

anyway..im done :p it wont happen... the battery power cant handle it..whether you understand my argument or not, thats not my problem :)

OP
T

TylerMoney

they could use the new alchohal battery technology..that sounds awesome...and I want an alchohal batter now.

OP
W

wiggin1605

Yah so im gonna go now.

Ive decided i am flippin sick of how you people have no imagination and are so close minded. So im going to switch over to the mac rumors web site they seem to think more like I do. Bye.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.