• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's Official Press Release on iPhone 4 Reception Issues and the Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy
AppleInsider | Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy
"There's no reason, at least yet, to forgo buying an iPhone 4 over its reception concerns," writes Consumer Reports

iPhone 4 antenna woes rumored caused by lack of coating
http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/07/02/claims.maintain.apple.had.bad.production.run/

And what would Adolf Hitler say about the iphone 4 issues?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3Ogt2L44Q

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
As the article on Anandtech pointed out, the iPhone 4 is much superior to any other phone in being able to hold on to a call in areas of low signal strength. They also pointed out that, as a result of the new design, the attenuation from holding it in certain ways (i.e. covering that black gap) is higher than on other phones. This is not a design flaw… it's a design tradeoff. Making the antenna an external component as part of the casing improved reception greatly, but at the same time made it more vulnerable to signal attenuation in some circumstances, depending also on how you hold it. The Bumper (or ANY OTHER CASE) can solve this. And let me emphasize the latter. You don't have to get a Bumper from Apple. Numerous other 3rd parties are making cases that will work just as well, but for some bizarre reason, this never gets mentioned in all the commotion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
So I'm thinking, where is this update that was promised? One would think it would be a top priority over at Apple to get this out ASAP to silence its detractors.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So I'm thinking, where is this update that was promised? One would think it would be a top priority over at Apple to get this out ASAP to silence its detractors.

Apple said a few weeks. I would rather them wait, test it, and make sure it's right than for them to rush out some sofware that could make things worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.7 Ghz Quad Core . MacBook Pro 17" . AppleTV 2 . iPhone 4S . iPad 2 3G . AppleTV 2
To be honest, this makes perfect sense from my experience. I can grip every square mm of my iphone, while I'm here in Rocky River, and nothing happens, but when I was in V.beach, I was very easy to force the bars to drop by holding it. The only issue I have with their statement is that if this was true, how come the same results cant be replicated while you are using a case? I have a new full body silicone/rubber case, that I got off of ebay for 1 buck, and I actually believe it helps with the issue more than the bumper.

Regardless, I'm liking my iphone way too much to even complain about anything.

I experienced the same thing. I got my iPhone 4 yesterday. In my house i had the "death grip" issue, but i've always had relatively poor reception there. Today in my office i have tried to repeat the issue over & over, but no matter how hard or how long i hold it, the bars do not go down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
Even Consumer Reports says it's fine to buy the iPhone 4:

Not anymore they don't - they just threw the iPhone 4 under the bus:

Consumer Reports Throws iPhone 4 Under the Bus - PCWorld

The problem here is Lord Jobs and the Ivory Tower syndrome. Apple should have been way ahead of this issue and immediately acknowledged the problem and that a real fix would be forthcoming. Instead, we get insulting prevarications in the form of how to hold the phone and/or it's a display problem. The problem will go from bad to worse if Apple puts out a software update that merely masks the problem as opposed to actually fixing it - if a software could have fixed the problem, the update would have been already out last week if not earlier. Me thinks Lord Job's need to wake up from his delusional slumber and deliver a handful of pink slips to the senior engineers responsible for this embarrassing debacle while coming up with a plan to stem the bleeding.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
We'll just need to wait to see what happens. Considering the are two camps in this argument, both with just as many experts as the other your only choice is to wait to see if the iOS update fixes the problem, buy a case, or return the phone.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a heads up on Consumer Reports. Over the years since I was a kid they have run down and blasted many outstanding Audio products and praised Bose for example instead. Bose speakers are not accurate and that is acknowledged by anyone who really knows accurate music reproduction, yet CR has praised them over and over and put down other much more accurate speakers.

I really have no respect for their Tests. I have tested every cell phone i have at my disposal and everyone of them if I cup my hands over where the antenna is located, signal drops 2-4 bars.

And yes I am aware that bridging the gap between the two antennas does cause some signal loss, but CR over and over has let me down and I really do not trust any of their opinions especially with electronic equipment.

If that offends anyone, oh well. Just stating facts I have proven to friends over the years over and over. My feelings toward CR is shared by a lot of people I know and respect. There is a signal issue but from all the testing I have seen and done myself, every cell phone's signal goes down if the antenna is covered by human skin and the signal is low to begin with.

No one is forcing anyone to purchase anything Apple makes. You don't like their stuff, don't buy it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gotta agree with dtravis7 re Bose speakers and Consumer Reports. My Bose 901 series speakers had worn cones and cone deterioration only after a couple years of use. We're not talking about cheap speakers here either. Speaker repair depot in Dallas informed me that Bose speakers in general were made with inferior materials and every 901 series set they've seen was the same.

This after Consumer Reports rated Bose number one in sound reproduction and quality. I have no faith in Consumer Reports either. Take what they stated about the iPhone 4 with a large grain of salt.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Consumer Reports didn't even bother to run a test with a case on it, which most people would sensibly want to use in any event. Numerous technical experts have weighed in with their analyses and every last one I've seen has demonstrated that the iPhone 4 is in fact superior to any other phone out there in holding on to a call in areas known for unreliable connections. But Consumer Reports doesn't seem to get that. All they know is it drops calls when covering a certain spot. Yes... it does attentuate signals more than than other phones do when held a certain way. That's the tradeoff, and really is only a factor in areas with already poor service. That's more a testament to AT&T's network issues than the iPhone.

And yah... Bose blows.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a heads up. I used Bose as an example with Consumer Reports. There have been many other things they have tested and ran down that were even more seriously wrong over the years. I have not respected Consumer Reports in ages. This is nothing to do with their iPhone 4 report, it's an overall distrust based on years of reading their reports and hands on usage with the very products they ran down or did not approve of.

Like I said over a week ago, The Anandtech review and testing is a lot more accurate and real world. The person at Anandtech that did all the DB measurements was in a debate with others at CNN and held his own quite well. Very smart person about Cell phones and their antennas.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agreed related to Consumer Reports. That is the last place I would ever go for proper and correct reports on "anything". It's not even worth my effort to click through to the link.

It started off for me reading reports of tools and materials related to my trade. Everything they had to say was off base. Like they had gone out to the lowest common denominator for answers with not a single expert on hand that had any knowledge of how to properly use the tools and materials they were reviewing.

That moved on to electronics - they have been so far off the mark in this area for so many years, it's just not even funny any longer.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Consumer Reports doesn't buy what Apple is selling

Consumer Reports has decided not to recommend the IPhone 4 due to "a hardware flaw with its antenna."

They also are not buying Apple's explanation of the problem having done testing with other AT&T phones such as the Palm Pre and IPhone 3GS. No other phone displayed similar problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/technology/13apple.html

I think the article is interesting and have to admit the "explanation" that Apple gave regarding software sounded pretty weak. If Apple actually can make a software fix then great. If not, then that excuse may bite them in the butt.

Reaction score
This is one of the most rational, well-written pieces about the iPhone 4's antenna. Simply a must-read:
The iPhone 4 Antenna Unravelled Intelligent Investing - Forbes.com

A very good read. Thanks for posting this.

Part of me has been thinking, even though Apple seems to have missed this flaw, that I still have to give them credit for constantly trying something new. For innovating. It's a great idea putting these antennas on the outside of the phone, all while making it look slick as all get out in the process.

That said, I do hope they step up and do something to remedy this. A very thin, and very clear bumper could be a nice idea. Then the phone would basically look the same while remedying this problem. I'm very curious to see how this all plays out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
I have the iPhone 4 and with the $30 bumper that I bought from Apple, it's signal coverage is far superior to my iPhone 3GS. Whether you read the Consumer Reports or Forbes, the narrative is clear to me. Apple knew full well of the antenna design limitation long before the phone hit the streets and they decided to profit on it by selling a fix in the form of their $30 bumper. Me thinks that either Apple will voluntarily or by class action lawsuit settlement be issuing free bumpers and/or store credit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apple knew full well of the antenna design limitation long before the phone hit the streets and they decided to profit on it by selling a fix in the form of their $30 bumper.
You really think so? LOL

Edit:
$30 hit per iPhone customer to boost Apple's profit margin...... hmmmm
I just don't see it :Confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.