• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's Official Press Release on iPhone 4 Reception Issues and the Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your basically claiming Apple hatched an evil plot before the iPhone was released to create the Bumper as a solution to a problem they purposely left in the phone. So sure, you didn't say they were "evil" but you're certainly implying it.

Sure I can explain the Bumper, it's a case Apple designed to add the ability to personalize your device and add some protection. Aesthetically it may not be the best for everyone and some people may say it's dumb, but Apple's done a lot of dumb things...iPod Socks are a good example.

Although I'm sure that the Socks must have been part of an evil plot by Apple because they knew iPods could get scratched so they made these socks. :\

LOL, you believe the bumper just COINCIDENTLY fixes an antennae problem? I don't think that Apple is happy about the antennae problem and they wish we would all just put the bumper on the phone and not talk about it, like good little sheep. I don't want to return my Iphone. I love the display. I'm disappointed with Apple and they are not as shiny as I once thought.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
LOL, you believe the bumper just COINCIDENTLY fixes an antennae problem? I don't think that Apple is happy about the antennae problem and they wish we would all just put the bumper on the phone and not talk about it, like good little sheep. I don't want to return my Iphone. I love the display. I'm disappointed with Apple and they are not as shiny as I once thought.

So is your plan to continuously troll the forums then since you refuse to return your phone which must be pretty unusable given how you are speaking of the issue and you apparently believe that Apple has hatched an underhanded plot to force you to buy a Bumper?

Just want to make sure I understand your intentions because in all honesty, I have yet to see a point being made other than outlandish accusations in any of your posts on this topic.

As for does the Bumper "solve" the problem, I'm not even going to debate that with you. There has been enough articles produced by independent parties to answer that. You just need to take the time to read them.

Well unless Apple paid Consumer Reports to lie so they could push more Bumpers?

PS: "Antannae" is not accurate in this case. That version of the word is only appropriate when speaking in a zoological sense. For a wire or rod used to transmit radio signals, it's antenna or antennas.

antenna |anˈtenə|
noun
1 Zoology ( pl. -tennae |-ˈtenē|) either of a pair of long, thin sensory appendages on the heads of insects, crustaceans, and some other arthropods.
• ( antennae) figurative the faculty of instinctively detecting and interpreting subtle signs : he has the political antennae of a party whip.
2 ( pl. -tennas ) a rod, wire, or other device used to transmit or receive radio or television signals.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you read the extensive testing on Anandtech? Every phone they tried covering with their hands went down in signal at least somewhat. In fact all the Nokia phones I own do of I cup my hands over the phone covering the antenna.

Reaction score
LOL, you believe the bumper just COINCIDENTLY fixes an antennae problem?

If it keeps your finger off the seam, then it might. Think about it.

I don't think that Apple is happy about the antennae problem and they wish we would all just put the bumper on the phone and not talk about it, like good little sheep.

They're probably not happy with the antenna problem at all. As for Apple wishing we'd conform to its standards...that may or may not be true- but all in all, Apple seems to care more about the consumer and the way they interact with their Apple devices. They want the consumer to have the best experience with the product.

I don't want to return my Iphone. I love the display. I'm disappointed with Apple and they are not as shiny as I once thought.

Good for you. I'm sure Steve Jobs is glad that you have one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New "unibody" macbook pro 2.4Ghz, 250 SSD, 4GbDDR3 RAM; Mac OS X Leopard, Parallels (Vista Ult, XP)
All I know is this is a pretty simple thing...where there's smoke there's fire. I absolutely feel for those who are complaining...because I'm one of the ones complaining. My reception went from good with a 3GS to bad with this new phone...in the same exact places.

Now I'll be called a whiner...or a troll...but you know..that's just typical fanboy mentality. Apple isn't all powerful and they are imperfect. I've been screwed by this company more than enough times...which I'm not going to bring up now...and perhaps that's made me a little more jaded. Still, I continue to buy their products and support the brand...but this one's been a real blow as far as I'm concerned.

As it was stated above...some of us sold off the old phone and bought the new one...right away...having faith in Apple's new product. I sold my 3GS in 15 minutes on ebay...that's 15 MINUTES! Now to tell us to "just return it" if you're having problems...that's just bullstoke...I've been defending iPhones since their release...despite bad batteries...defective phones. In a sea of Blackberries and Androids, I've always maintained that I was perfectly happy with my phone. But I'm not this time...and those of us who are not are very frustrated and absolutely have a right to complain. Go ahead and call us trolls...whatever dude. We feel let down...we feel like we got duped...we basically feel like we've defended this product forever..we've given Apple our hard earned money on countless occasions...and, most importantly, in my case, I've invested quite a bit of money on Apps for my phone...so "just return it" is not a valid or acceptable solution.

To all the fanboys...Apple is imperfect...Apple does make mistakes..and just because for once they admitted a mistake doesn't make them worthy of all this praise. The product should've been tested more thoroughly before it went to market...period. And to be honest...I'm just as happy to bash AT&T throughout this whole fiasco...it's their network...if they can't handle it, they need to look at their contractual agreements as well.

I'm stuck with a phone now that I'm not completely happy with...and that's a sad day for me...and it's a sad day for Apple. I truly hope that a software fix does the job. I'm going to maintain a positive attitude...I'm not returning a phone...I'll wait and see...I'm a patient man. But I have to say...if software doesn't fix this, Apple has lost a long time customer for good.

Reaction score
All I know is this is a pretty simple thing...where there's smoke there's fire. I absolutely feel for those who are complaining...because I'm one of the ones complaining. My reception went from good with a 3GS to bad with this new phone...in the same exact places.

Now I'll be called a whiner...or a troll...but you know..that's just typical fanboy mentality. Apple isn't all powerful and they are imperfect. I've been screwed by this company more than enough times...which I'm not going to bring up now...and perhaps that's made me a little more jaded. Still, I continue to buy their products and support the brand...but this one's been a real blow as far as I'm concerned.

As it was stated above...some of us sold off the old phone and bought the new one...right away...having faith in Apple's new product. I sold my 3GS in 15 minutes on ebay...that's 15 MINUTES! Now to tell us to "just return it" if you're having problems...that's just bulls**t...I've been defending iPhones since their release...despite bad batteries...defective phones. In a sea of Blackberries and Androids, I've always maintained that I was perfectly happy with my phone. But I'm not this time...and those of us who are not are very frustrated and absolutely have a right to complain. Go ahead and call us trolls...whatever dude. We feel let down...we feel like we got duped...we basically feel like we've defended this product forever..we've given Apple our hard earned money on countless occasions...and, most importantly, in my case, I've invested quite a bit of money on Apps for my phone...so "just return it" is not a valid or acceptable solution.

To all the fanboys...Apple is imperfect...Apple does make mistakes..and just because for once they admitted a mistake doesn't make them worthy of all this praise. The product should've been tested more thoroughly before it went to market...period. And to be honest...I'm just as happy to bash AT&T throughout this whole fiasco...it's their network...if they can't handle it, they need to look at their contractual agreements as well.

I'm stuck with a phone now that I'm not completely happy with...and that's a sad day for me...and it's a sad day for Apple. I truly hope that a software fix does the job. I'm going to maintain a positive attitude...I'm not returning a phone...I'll wait and see...I'm a patient man. But I have to say...if software doesn't fix this, Apple has lost a long time customer for good.

The word "fanboy" does not constitute your place of argument in this forum, and is a definite good way to get yourself completely ignored. Just saying.

Along those lines, I can tell your argument automatically lacks power.

Yes, we get your point- but we all know that every company can have product issues. Apple has had them in the past. Sure, they're less of an occurrence from Apple, but if you compare that to other electronic companies, it should be pretty clear why Apple is praised to begin with.

As for AT&T, the largest provider when it comes down to non-CDMA cellular technology, also has imperfections- however if you do a little more research into that company you'd figure out why they have issues.

Lastly, on your insightful comment on whether or not you are regarded as a troll or whiner- you are on a forum based around Apple products, and naysaying Apple isn't going strengthen your argument on this forum.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'll be called a whiner...or a troll...but you know..that's just typical fanboy mentality.

First, pulling out the "fanboy" reference isn't really a great way to make friends and influence people.

Second, no, you won't necessarily be called a whiner or a troll. I reserve those titles for the people who have a mindset that goes something like this:

"OMG when I even look at mah iPhonez it loses all its signals and it's such crap and Apple knew about it and they don't care and their fix isn't gonna work but I'm gonna sit here and complain over and over about it while I hold on to what I feel is an unusable phone rather than use the option of returning it even though I know Apple's not gonna fix it."

That type of person is not productive, and honestly, usually just becomes a troll.

Apple isn't all powerful and they are imperfect. I've been screwed by this company more than enough times...which I'm not going to bring up now...and perhaps that's made me a little more jaded. Still, I continue to buy their products and support the brand...but this one's been a real blow as far as I'm concerned.

Why would you continue to buy from a company that screwed you over "more than enough times"? That makes no sense to me.

As it was stated above...some of us sold off the old phone and bought the new one...right away...having faith in Apple's new product. I sold my 3GS in 15 minutes on ebay...that's 15 MINUTES! Now to tell us to "just return it" if you're having problems...that's just bullstoke.

Yes and I think telling people who feel their phone is unusable at this point and who don't think Apple's software fix is going to work should return the phone. If you feel that this is an issue that affects every iPhone 4 (even though it clearly doesn't, but let's play along), then yes return the phone.

AT&T has other phones you can use in the meantime (including a brand new 3GS that they still sell) until you feel Apple has addressed the iPhone 4 issues down the road. But holding onto what you claim is an unusable product just doesn't make any sense.

As for selling off your iPhone 3GS within 15 minutes of getting your iPhone 4? That's just bad planning/bad luck, but that excuse doesn't change the reality of the situation.

But I'm not this time...and those of us who are not are very frustrated and absolutely have a right to complain.

Sure, you do, I don't deny that. But when your complaining spills into multiple threads, and it's not productive, and it looks like you're just trying to complain for the sake of complaining, and you continue to behave in ways that totally defy logic, we also have a right to ask you to stop because those are all hallmarks of being a troll.

My friend above who is claiming the "black helicopter conspiracy theory" that Apple is purposely making Bumpers because they knew that the antenna was bad but they were going to ship the product anyway despite all the scientific and independent proof otherwise, yeah, that's trolling.

Go ahead and call us trolls...whatever dude. We feel let down...we feel like we got duped...we basically feel like we've defended this product forever..we've given Apple our hard earned money on countless occasions...and, most importantly, in my case, I've invested quite a bit of money on Apps for my phone...so "just return it" is not a valid or acceptable solution.

So you would rather keep a phone that you feel doesn't work just to prove a point? What is that point? How long are you going to hold on to a phone that you feel doesn't work before you think it's too long? Why not just go return it and get a brand new iPhone 3GS from AT&T?

To all the fanboys...Apple is imperfect...Apple does make mistakes..and just because for once they admitted a mistake doesn't make them worthy of all this praise.

My friend, you need to be very careful throwing that word around and making assumptions. If you actually had any history on this board or spent time reading any threads beyond the ones you feel you want to come to complain to, you would quickly realize that most of us you are claiming are "fanboys" who see Apple as never doing any wrong is completely unfounded.

In this particular issue, yes I do think a lot of the mega complainers on this topic are either trolling, over reacting, or are behaving completely illogically without any justification for their actions.

C

chas_m

Huh? Did I ever say I hate my phone or that Apple was "evil?" Please show me where.

So let me get this right ... you think Apple lied in a public press release (for which they can be sued), but you're okay owning a product from a company that blatantly lies to you, even though they've offered you a cost-free way out?

Your posts are telling us a lot more about you than about Apple, my friend.

Can you explain the bumper?

Yes. It's called a casing. I have one on my iPhone 2G, my old iPod, my BlackBook and will get one for my iPad. What expensive portable electronic device made at least partially of glass do you have that you DON'T have some kind of protective casing for?

Again, this attitude says more about you than about Apple.

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I stated mine but I'm not going to get drawn in to petty arguing about it over and over. There's nothing more to add. I may be wrong but I may be right. Mature people accept that others will have different opinions and ideas and that's what makes a discussion interesting. But for stating my opinion, I've been called a whiner and even had my grammar corrected. This behavior is so outrageous it makes me wonder if some of you have been drinking the Koolaid.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bfar5 you have demonstrated that you're not interested in others' opinions or even factual truth.

And by the way, my koolaid was raspberry..yum!

Anyone else want some...maybe I should set up a koolaid stand?

Reaction score
bfar5 you have demonstrated that you're not interested in others' opinions or even factual truth.

I am definitely interested in other's opinions or I would not bother to read them on a forum and that's how I demonstrate that I am interested in what other's have to say. I don't arbitrarily dismiss other's opinions because they differ from my own and assume that the other person is just a whiner or, on the other end of the spectrum, a fanatic.

I only suggested the Koolaid after being insulted.

Reaction score
I am definitely interested in other's opinions or I would not bother to read them on a forum and that's how I demonstrate that I am interested in what other's have to say. I don't arbitrarily dismiss other's opinions because they differ from my own and assume that the other person is just a whiner or, on the other end of the spectrum, a fanatic.

I only suggested the Koolaid after being insulted.

You say that now, but earlier you were off on a different tune.

Reaction score
You say that now, but earlier you were off on a different tune.

And what tune was that? Did I call anyone names? Did I insult anyone until after I was insulted? You've got nothing on me. Go ahead... go back and re-read now.

I merely expressed my HUMBLE opinion. It seems some people on here aren't so humble and think their opinions are the only ones that count. Or is it that only opinions that you agree with are respected? What kind of forum is that?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where were you insulted before throwing out all the "fanboy" and "kookaid drinker" comments?

Reaction score
And what tune was that? Did I call anyone names? Did I insult anyone until after I was insulted? You've got nothing on me. Go ahead... go back and re-read now.

I merely expressed my HUMBLE opinion. It seems some people on here aren't so humble and think their opinions are the only ones that count. Or is it that only opinions that you agree with are respected? What kind of forum is that?

I can't believe you just asked that question.

Fine..you want an opinion, you got an opinion.

My opinion is that you start arguments with anybody who disagrees with you. You then discreetly and indirectly toss insults into the argument, and when you get on the wrong side of the people of a forum, you then get socked. Why? Because frankly sir, you lack forum etiquette. Plain and simple. We are a humble body of people who look at Apple as just another company- and then some. We take all opinions into consideration regardless of whether or not they're the "right" opinions so to speak, but when a forum acquires a person who begs for attention by arguing and downplaying the people within it, you get bitten in the end. And this is where I speak towards you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Can we keep it civil in here please and try to keep on topic.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree with the info in this link partially.

I do agree (from the article):
That dropped calls are annoying and counting the numbers of them you get is nice to know.

With this: "The iPhone 4 is not nearly as hypersensitive to "hand" effects as I was being led to believe from the media buzz."

I do not agree (from the article):
That counting your dropped calls is the end of everything.

With "You cannot tell the difference between a "one-bar" conversation with your mother, and a "five-bar" conversation.". Even on my non-smart phone a 1 bar signal gives much poorer quality sound for calls then on a full strength signal. (5 bars on my phone). So watching signal strength has it's uses too.

That known blackspots mean nothing. If you know of a blackspot and you get a dropped call in it, that is not Apple's fault. That's is whatever phone carrier you are with's fault. Tell them about the blackspot in their network and yell at them to get it fixed.

With "it's good that Apple is conforming to a standard. Beyond that.... it's spin" I think it is not spin at all. I think this person should wait for the iOS update then see if there still more issues. Him saying that makes min sound like a pompous *** and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.