• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple will 'set the world on fire' with iPhone 6 sales

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 6 Plus has great resolution but the plain 6 not as good at all.

I do agree pretty much with the points Wolfsbane mentioned in his last post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
  1. Better design that maximizes screen size and minimizes bezel size, (LG G3 is a good example). The iphone 6 plus makes the LG look petite and it has the same size screen.
  2. Better screen resolution and pixel density. Apple insist that most people would not notice the difference between a 326ppi and a 460 ppi screen... But I can tell the difference.
  3. Better camera. Take away the bells and whistles, and that 8 megapixel camera is pretty dated.
  4. Upgradable internal storage. You are right, they love to bilk us for just a few gigs of storage.
  5. And the price that they are asking for the iphone 6 plus is a no go, sorry. There are other options out there with better specs at a more affordable price.
  6. At least 2 gigs of ram
1.) User preference
2.) Its a numbers game on these small screens on 15 inch and larger yes.
3.) I am for better cameras but increasing the megapixels without increasing other components leaves grain in the pictures as with the competition .
4.) 128GB should be more than enough for the majority.
5.) I will wait for test results in the past Apple has matched or beat the competition with less.
6.) Sure if it needs it since it uses far less than the competition it may not again a numbers game.

Reaction score
I love the way iphones sync up with Macs, but I can't for the life of me understand why Apple won't allow a competent call blocker app. The call blocker they do offer is a half measure at best.
I have a jailbreak on my 5 that allows me to use iblacklist, but if not for this program I couldn't be using an iphone. I would have to go back to Android. iblacklist allows blocking of specific area codes so most of the robocalls can be blocked. Anyone who uses a cell phone for business gets robocalled to death otherwise. A versatile call blocker is a very necessary tool for me.
Superior apps from Apple?
Not really, but the hardware is fine from my perspective.
I'll be needing a new phone soon, but as it stands this is the one thing that will cause me to go back to Android.

C

chas_m

Have any of you actually held/used/tested the iPhone 6 models?

If not, I'd suggest you reserve judgement on some of your (occasionally goofy) claims. Apple has routinely bested competition with higher "specs," and I expect that will happen again this time.

As for the camera, the 8MP to which you refer is the most popular camera in the world, bar none. If it's good enough for the National Geographic to use, maybe there's some additional info about the camera you're not considering (hint: there is).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
  1. Better design that maximizes screen size and minimizes bezel size, (LG G3 is a good example). The iphone 6 plus makes the LG look petite and it has the same size screen.
  2. Better screen resolution and pixel density. Apple insist that most people would not notice the difference between a 326ppi and a 460 ppi screen... But I can tell the difference.
  3. Better camera. Take away the bells and whistles, and that 8 megapixel camera is pretty dated.
  4. Upgradable internal storage. You are right, they love to bilk us for just a few gigs of storage.
  5. And the price that they are asking for the iphone 6 plus is a no go, sorry. There are other options out there with better specs at a more affordable price.
  6. At least 2 gigs of ram

On the design aspect, I think you should reserve judgement until you actually get the phone in your hands. The concept of having little to no bezel is a novel one, but it also has its downsides - like case fitment, ruggedness and repairability.

On the screen resolution - I have a hard time understanding the concern, but then, I can't discern a difference in resolution on any of the Retina displays. This seems like more of a concern over specs than one that has any roots in practicality.

On the camera - have to disagree. It has long been known that megapixel count has very little to do with image quality once you get over a certain size. This is strictly a "my number is bigger than yours" contest that Apple isn't going to fight. My iPhone 5's now aged camera produces far better images than most modern phones. The problem is, people feel the need to have metrics to compare image quality - and unfortunately, metrics in this case, don't tell the whole story.

On the storage - I agree wholeheartedly, in this day and age of $15 32GB flash drives there is absolutely NO reason that the base model iPhone should be 16GB - particularly when these higher resolution video and still cameras are producing larger and larger file sizes. 16GB is just not enough.

On the price - Again, I agree. This field is WAY too competitive for Apple to command this much of a premium, particularly given the storage costs.

On the memory - Just as with the camera, I could honestly care less about the metrics as long as the phone performs well. Given that I have yet to run into an app that doesn't perform well on my old iPhone 5, I tend to think that the iPhone 6 has more than adequate memory.

My advice - don't get too caught up with the specs. One-upmanship rarely produces a superior product, which is kinda why the quality of Android phones is so lacking.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
On the design aspect, I think you should reserve judgement until you actually get the phone in your hands. The concept of having little to no bezel is a novel one, but it also has its downsides - like case fitment, ruggedness and repairability.

On the screen resolution - I have a hard time understanding the concern, but then, I can't discern a difference in resolution on any of the Retina displays. This seems like more of a concern over specs than one that has any roots in practicality.

On the camera - have to disagree. It has long been known that megapixel count has very little to do with image quality once you get over a certain size. This is strictly a "my number is bigger than yours" contest that Apple isn't going to fight. My iPhone 5's now aged camera produces far better images than most modern phones. The problem is, people feel the need to have metrics to compare image quality - and unfortunately, metrics in this case, don't tell the whole story.

On the storage - I agree wholeheartedly, in this day and age of $15 32GB flash drives there is absolutely NO reason that the base model iPhone should be 16GB - particularly when these higher resolution video and still cameras are producing larger and larger file sizes. 16GB is just not enough.

On the price - Again, I agree. This field is WAY too competitive for Apple to command this much of a premium, particularly given the storage costs.

On the memory - Just as with the camera, I could honestly care less about the metrics as long as the phone performs well. Given that I have yet to run into an app that doesn't perform well on my old iPhone 5, I tend to think that the iPhone 6 has more than adequate memory.

My advice - don't get too caught up with the specs. One-upmanship rarely produces a superior product, which is kinda why the quality of Android phones is so lacking.

Agree with everything you said . . . just have to add my 2 cents on the camera since photography is one of my major interests.

Nikon's top-line pro camera sports a 16MP sensor, when they could easily gone with 24, 36 or even more. Why?
Because there are always trade-offs. Increasing MPs for the same sensor technology and size automatically results in reduced ISO (low-light capability) and Dynamic Range (ability to handle scenes with large variations in color and lighting).
Also, the larger files mean additional processing burden and reduced frame rates for burst capture.

I am all for better cameras in phones, but trust me, how many megapixels it has is not one of the things I consider. 8 is more than sufficient for any reasonably sized print I am likely to do with a cell-phone camera.
If I want to produce a wall-sized mural I will be using my Nikon D610, tripod and a lens that costs more by itself than the non-contract price for the iPhone 6.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
Well, the only responsible way to make this type of purchase is by holding the devise in your hands after careful research and consideration. Which I will do. Reviews are starting to filter in, so information is starting to become more available. We'll see.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Well, the only responsible way to make this type of purchase is by holding the devise in your hands after careful research and consideration. Which I will do. Reviews are starting to filter in, so information is starting to become more available. We'll see.

+1

Couldn't agree more. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Impressive.

Almost identical features to the Nexus4 - only two years later and only about 2.5 times more expensive.

No doubt people will be signing up in droves :)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
On the topic in hand, it does sound like Apple has set the world on fire, with release day stock sold out on pre-order.

I suspect there is a lot of pent-up demand for a larger iPhone which is now being served.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Impressive.

Almost identical features to the Nexus4 - only two years later and only about 2.5 times more expensive.

And finally getting closer to the Google's Nexus 5, a smartphone now about half the price of the iPhone 6.

Read more: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus vs Nexus 5: Smartphone specs compared | ITProPortal.com

I know my youngest son ditched his iPhone 5 model for a Nexus 5 last year as he was getting tired of Apple's locked iOS and all the required jailbreaking stuff and still figures he's got a better useable super phone.

And no lineup or waiting for any new iPhone delivery. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
On the topic in hand, it does sound like Apple has set the world on fire, with release day stock sold out on pre-order.

I suspect there is a lot of pent-up demand for a larger iPhone which is now being served.

I believe that such tactics are often used to boost sales by keeping stock short and to increase any pent up demand. But it has to be used very carefully so as to avoid any large scale disappointment for which word can travel very fast, and then the technique often backfires unless it's rectified quickly. ;)

MorningWord 9/12/14: I Want the One With The Bigger GeeBees – $AAPL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
I believe that such tactics are often used to boost sales by keeping stock short and to increase any pent up demand. But it has to be used very carefully so as to avoid any large scale disappointment for which word can travel very fast, and then the technique often backfires unless it's rectified quickly. ;)

I have to agree. Its not like Apple has not already seen this cycle play out the past two years. Apple is very good at these marketing stunts, and make no mistake about it... Its all marketing.... Apple has known for month what production schedule they needed to set in order to make these devices available in sufficient quantities to the public in order to meet the initial surge. But, now we are hearing that they can't keep up with demand? Right. More likely, they are setting an artificial constraint on their logistics in order to manufacture a perceived high demand for a new product. And you are correct... some people will always be willing to wait for the new device. But others will not. It's a risky game that Apple plays, specially if early receipients give the product a less than stellar review that prompts those considering to purchase the devise to look elsewhere. But Apple has enjoyed a lot of recent successes at these marketing ploys. But give Apple props... they know the release of a new product is where they get to hook the binge buyers, and they are absolutely using this to their commercial advantage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

Ask any real retail sales executive if being out of stock helps sales...

You'll get a unanimous "ARE YOU INSANE?? OF COURSE NOT!"

I'm not sure why people make up these kind of fantasies. If someone really wants the phone, they'll get it. If they're on the fence and they can't get it now, they'll move on to their second option. Nowhere in the is there people no wanting to buy then phone, but suddenly wanting to just because they can't. The whole idea is supremely idiotic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Impressive.

Funny you should mention a Samsung phone, because According to third party sites like Gazelle that purchase old phones, Sales of Samsung phones has TRIPLED since the announcement of the iPhone 6.

That's not just coincidence!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Funny you should mention a Samsung phone, because According to third party sites like Gazelle that purchase old phones, Sales of Samsung phones has TRIPLED since the announcement of the iPhone 6.

That's not just coincidence!

Sales or trade-ins?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reviews starting to come out a week after release. They seem mostly favorable. Most of them agreeing that the software, IOS 8 and which is being released today, is the best feature. Hardware, modest but incremental.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I have to agree. Its not like Apple has not already seen this cycle play out the past two years. Apple is very good at these marketing stunts, and make no mistake about it... Its all marketing.... Apple has known for month what production schedule they needed to set in order to make these devices available in sufficient quantities to the public in order to meet the initial surge. But, now we are hearing that they can't keep up with demand? Right. More likely, they are setting an artificial constraint on their logistics in order to manufacture a perceived high demand for a new product. And you are correct... some people will always be willing to wait for the new device. But others will not. It's a risky game that Apple plays, specially if early receipients give the product a less than stellar review that prompts those considering to purchase the devise to look elsewhere. But Apple has enjoyed a lot of recent successes at these marketing ploys. But give Apple props... they know the release of a new product is where they get to hook the binge buyers, and they are absolutely using this to their commercial advantage.

I strongly disagree. 4 million pre-orders on the first day.... No one on this forum can comprehend how many actual phones that is. Sure, we can imagine a pile of 10 phones, a stack of 100, maybe we can conceptualize how many phones 1,000 is. But 4,000,000 is not a number the human brain can comprehend. And that is actual orders, not counting how many are being distributed to the thousands of retail stores for day 1 purchases. Apple (Foxconn, whoever) is building as many phones as they can to handle the demand, however that level of demand is literally unprecedented. There are thousands of potential bottlenecks in producing a high-end electronic device on a different continent, and each of those can alternately limit production rates at different times. Apple is not limiting production intentionally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.