Apple Mail Replacement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've been in the market for a new email client as well...and was going to give AirMail a try. I've seen a couple folks post that AirMail was subscription-only...but recent reviews from 2020 I've seen say AirMail has a free version...and only the Pro version is subscription. If this is true...would have to see what features the Free vs. Pro version have/don't have...to make the free version worth it.

Of course totally agree...if the free version turns out to be "nagware"...fuhgeddaboudit!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
I've been in the market for a new email client as well...and was going to give AirMail a try. I've seen a couple folks post that AirMail was subscription-only...but recent reviews from 2020 I've seen say AirMail has a free version...and only the Pro version is subscription. If this is true...would have to see what features the Free vs. Pro version have/don't have...to make the free version worth it.

Of course totally agree...if the free version turns out to be "nagware"...fuhgeddaboudit!;)

- Nick

looking forward to hearing about your experience with AirMail.

I have created an account in GMX.com and it seems to be quite flexible and few different options. is free too. tho one does get the odd "ad' email but quickly disappears as soon as you click on it.

also created an account on Proton mail and that is pretty secure. haven't used it that much. cannot use that email address to text as some other addresses will allow.

created account in mail.com whereby you could set your own domain name.. @myhouse.com or whatever is on their list. but I could not get that to work.
and there were a lot of "ad" emails too.

of course, there is Yahoo, Lycos, Hotmail and so many others.
picking and choosing is challenging to find the right one before notifying all contacts of changes.
and knowing how tho change settings for pop3 or map accounts if need be.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did install Thunderbird (free email client)...and so far it has been working well. Much more cooperative than the Apple Mail app...which can be very fickle when trying to setup accounts...and as mentioned earlier in this thread...for some silly reason the Apple Mail app seems to have a problem "remembering" passwords.

Biggest issue I have with Thunderbird...the interface doesn't seem to handle multiple email accounts well like Apple Mail. Unless I'm missing something...Thunderbird seems to handle each email account individually...instead of a single "Inbox" for all accounts.

I have 10+ email accounts...which means with Thunderbird I need to check 10+ different Inbox's to get all new email...instead of a single Inbox with Apple Mail.

Apple Mail works great once you have all your email accounts setup (which isn't always easy). These issues may also depend on which version of Apple Mail folks have.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did install Thunderbird (free email client)...and so far it has been working well. Much more cooperative than the Apple Mail app...which can be very fickle when trying to setup accounts...and as mentioned earlier in this thread...for some silly reason the Apple Mail app seems to have a problem "remembering" passwords.

Biggest issue I have with Thunderbird...the interface doesn't seem to handle multiple email accounts well like Apple Mail. Unless I'm missing something...Thunderbird seems to handle each email account individually...instead of a single "Inbox" for all accounts.

I have 10+ email accounts...which means with Thunderbird I need to check 10+ different Inbox's to get all new email...instead of a single Inbox with Apple Mail.

Apple Mail works great once you have all your email accounts setup (which isn't always easy). These issues may also depend on which version of Apple Mail folks have.

- Nick

so you set up an account @thunderbird.com?? kind of catchy name!
now you need to find one email that can accommodate all your other emails open one place.

I think Mail.com and GMX allows you to have several emails under 1 account.. I used to have many emails... one each for different uses... but that became quite onerous and everyone laughed at me for having so many... so now im paring down. lol lol lol

less strain on brain to remember all the passwords. I never have any of my accounts with auto pw....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The trouble with Thunderbird is that over the years, Mozilla kind of neglected it and did not keep up with the latest hardware. Thunderbird also had a NNTP Newsreader which they attached along with the email client.

I used it for years because there were versions for Windows and the Mac but gave up on it along about when Mountain Lion came out. Stuck with Apple Mail from then on.

But, I do have a backup email account at Verizon. Apple actually requires you to have a backup way they can contact you to verify your identity or in case your password is forgotten.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The trouble with Thunderbird is that over the years, Mozilla kind of neglected it and did not keep up with the latest hardware. Thunderbird also had a NNTP Newsreader which they attached along with the email client.

I used it for years because there were versions for Windows and the Mac but gave up on it along about when Mountain Lion came out. Stuck with Apple Mail from then on.

But, I do have a backup email account at Verizon. Apple actually requires you to have a backup way they can contact you to verify your identity or in case your password is forgotten.
hmmm I dont know if I have a backup for my Apple ID.... maybe I do just never had to use it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so you set up an account @thunderbird.com?? kind of catchy name!
now you need to find one email that can accommodate all your other emails open one place.

I think Mail.com and GMX allows you to have several emails under 1 account.. I used to have many emails... one each for different uses... but that became quite onerous and everyone laughed at me for having so many... so now im paring down. lol lol lol

"Thunderbird" is the name of the email client app. Thunderbird can handle as many email accounts as you want to throw at it. Problem I'm finding is Thunderbird doesn't seem to have a unified "Inbox" for all the accounts (so you only have to check one Inbox).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The trouble with Thunderbird is that over the years, Mozilla kind of neglected it and did not keep up with the latest hardware.

Agreed. Thunderbird's interface is a bit dated & clunky...and from what I've been reading Thunderbird is no longer being developed (except for security updates).

- Nick

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
It was member "Sawday's" last post that was somewhat garbled not yours. :)

Looks OK to me. What looks garbled to you. Maybe I can rephrase. Still waiting for BlueMail to respond. I think they mist have gone away for Christmas and not come back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel i3 10th gen quad-core 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
I think that the thing that most folks don't like about Airmail is that it is subscription-only.
it supports iCloud syncing and lets you back up every possible setting to the cloud platform. The services list is also bigger than Spark’s and includes Google Tasks, Asana, Instapaper, iA Writer, Drafts 5, and many more.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks OK to me. What looks garbled to you. Maybe I can rephrase. Still waiting for BlueMail to respond. I think they mist have gone away for Christmas and not come back.

LOL, I figured it out. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.