Apple ID question

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Okay. Here goes:

First off, I gracefully acknowledge Admin chscag's post. I am only adding mine because I promised to post today.

For clarity I will use "You" to indicate the person who owns the Apple ID

On YOUR iPhone:

Go into Settings > Messages.

iMessage should be ON

Tap on the Heading "Send & Receive".

Your iPhone number should be Ticked.
Your Apple ID email(s) should be ticked.
All OTHER phone numbers unticked (Tapping on these ticks them, tapping again removes the Tick.)

Underneath you will see "START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM"

Only your phone number should be ticked.
You can tick your Apple ID address(s) - optional

Now go back to Settings > Messages

Share Name and Photo turned OFF

Tap on "Text Message Forwarding"

There will be a list of Devices. Allow, by turning ON, those Devices to send and receive text messages from YOUR phone.

I have My Mac(s) and my iPad turned ON.

Any Others' (phone, Mac or iPad) should be turned OFF.

ON OTHER's iPhone (and iPad if relevant)

Settings > Messages

iMessage ON

Tap on "Send & Receive". Only other's phone number should be ticked.
Your phone number and Apple ID email address(s) should be unticked.

Back to Messages.

Share Name and Photo turned OFF

Text Message Forwarding. Anything listed here that is YOURS should be turned OFF

Now here is something else that is often forgotten.

If YOU have allowed Text messages to be Read and Sent from your Mac, then there is another setting to be adjusted.

On YOUR Mac, go into Messages. Then use the Keyboard shortcut - Command plus comma - to enter Message Preferences.

Now Click on "@iMessage".

Your Apple ID email address should be shown
Enable Messages in iCloud should be Ticked

"You can be reached for messages at" - look at list underneath

Tick YOUR phone number.
Untick OTHERS if shown

Tick your Apple ID email address(s). (if any others shown, Untick)

I think that covers it.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Once you have mulled over the above, a few general comments, if I may.

"You" are the "owner" of all the Devices concerned. But assuming there are only two of you for the moment - "You" and "Other" and just talking about iPhones, although it applies to all devices:

Your Apple ID will appear at the top of Settings on both iPhones.

Moreover, if you go into Contacts on both iPhones, "me" will be seen alongside "Your" name.

That doesn't matter a hoot; but if "Other" wants to phone "You", it will seem to the iPhone that "Other" is phoning itself. Ditto text. You can live with that. But it can cause confusion. I advise that you consider doing this:

What I did to ease matters was this:

My Apple ID in Contacts is Ian T.... (it holds all the personal info about me) and appears on both iPhones as "me".

On My iPhone I created a new Contact - Ian W T... with only my Mobile/Cell Phone number. This syncs to my Wife's iPhone. She uses that contact to phone me and lists that Contact as her Emergency Contact.

That way, there is no confusion. It nicely segregates "ownership" from individual.

Admin chscag and others who share one Apple ID may have dealt with in other ways.??

Ian

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Admin chscag and others who share one Apple ID may have dealt with in other ways.??

I simply change the "me" to my first name and add another contact with my wife's first name. Then we can phone each other from our contact list.

I do have a number of contacts on my phone's contact list that are my wife's personal ones and vice versa for her phone with my personal contacts. We can live with it though. After 39+ years of marriage, it's a minor thing. :rolleyes: :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.