Apple ID question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
We might be getting a second iPhone soon. Should that have a different Apple ID?

We have a Mac, an iPad and one iPhone now, all with the same ID.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Apple ID belongs to a person, not a device. So the person using that new iPhone, if they want to use it seamlessly with their Mac, they would use the same Apple ID.

So in my case, I have an Apple ID that I use for my MBP, Mac Mini, Apple TV, iPhone XS and Apple Watch. My wife has hers for MBP, iPhone XR and Watch, and daughter has hers for MBA, iPhone XR and Watch.

My daughter and I are in the family plan, so we share purchases and so on.

My wife's phone is paid for by her company so she didn't want to tie it up to the family plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you currently sharing an Apple ID?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm like Ashwin. I have an AppleID that is used on my MBP, iPhone, iPad and  Watch. Plus, it's on a couple of Apple TV boxes just because. My wife has her own AppleID on her iPhone, MBP and iPad. We decided to have the AppleTVs on my AppleID as I am the tech support for the house. We do use Family Sharing.

And for Bob, no, we don't share an AppleID because that leads to all kinds of strangeness. For example, if we shared one AppleID she would be getting all the Message texts that are addressed to me, and I would be getting all of hers. Easier to have two and just set up Family Sharing for the few things we do want/need for both of us.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For example, if we shared one AppleID she would be getting all the Message texts that are addressed to me, and I would be getting all of hers.

That's true but only if you allow it. My wife and I share the same Apple ID but her texts and mine are kept separate. You can set that up either way by going to settings on your phone and select messages.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's true but only if you allow it. My wife and I share the same Apple ID but her texts and mine are kept separate. You can set that up either way by going to settings on your phone and select messages.

I can vouch for what Admin chscag said. My wife and I have shared my Apple ID for some years.

Within Settings on the Mac and iOS Devices, it is quite possible to have separate apps, different email addresses, and different message accounts.

Ian

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I forgot about the Apple TV. That uses the same ID also. I guess you could say the 4 devices are sharing the ID. I don't currently have an iPhone, but might be getting one soon. So I don't do much texting on my phone. That will probably remain the same once I have the iPhone.

If I can set it up so I don't get texts sent to the other phone, then I suppose having one Apple ID is the way I want to go. As long as the two phones and the iPad can share e-mails in Mail, that is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Learn something every day. Those of you who share an AppleID, do you and your sharing partner each get a separate iCloud email address? Or do you have to share that. My wife has her own, as do I.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, in a way; but not the way you are suggesting. There is one Apple ID linked to one iCloud email address: mine.

But each of us, if we want, can set up an email account of our own. For example mine is the email account I use every day which has nothing to do with Apple. My wife has her own - not that she uses it on her iPhone, preferring to use it on her MBP.

So she and I buy apps using my Apple ID.

Think of it this way. The Devices, in this case iPhones and iPads, "belong" to me in that they are all registered under my Apple ID; but within these devices we can personalise our apps, emails, messages, have different Passcodes and obviously different Face Recognition.

If you're keen to know the few settings that need tweaked in order NOT to get calls or texts going to both devices, but only to each appropriate device, I can tell you what they are. :smile :wink

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah, we are happy with two AppleIDs. Works for us. Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah, we are happy with two AppleIDs. Works for us. Thanks.

Good for you. Stick with what you like. As the Woody Allen film said: "Whatever Works."

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Learn something every day. Those of you who share an AppleID, do you and your sharing partner each get a separate iCloud email address? Or do you have to share that.

I have ours setup the same as Ian has his.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're keen to know the few settings that need tweaked in order NOT to get calls or texts going to both devices, but only to each appropriate device, I can tell you what they are. :smile :wink
I'll take you up on that! But, I might not need to do it for several weeks. I could find this thread by searching for "Apple ID". Thanks!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll take you up on that! But, I might not need to do it for several weeks. I could find this thread by searching for "Apple ID". Thanks!

I am at your service, Sir. :) Just tell me when.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
Think of it this way. The Devices, in this case iPhones and iPads, "belong" to me in that they are all registered under my Apple ID; but within these devices we can personalise our apps, emails, messages, have different Passcodes and obviously different Face Recognition.

Ian
I would appreciate the instructions. A friend of mine and his wife use the same Apple ID, and they complain to have text messages cross to each other's phones. I would love to help them with that.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would appreciate the instructions. A friend of mine and his wife use the same Apple ID, and they complain to have text messages cross to each other's phones. I would love to help them with that.

Delighted to help. Will tomorrow do? I've been working all day. Bit knackered, need this ☕, or perhaps ? or better still, vino.?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
Being retired gives me an advantage of not getting tired from work and having a lot of free time. :) Thanks Ian, appreciate that.

Reaction score
I'm anxious to see what Ian's instructions are on this subject - I had to help a couple who had two iPhones, one Apple ID, but unfortunately one profile - it was a nightmare. My solution involved establishing a second ID for the couple, but I would love to see an alternative.
Thanks!
DLC

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alternative is simple:

On the iPhone, his or hers: Settings -> Messages -> Text Message Forwarding ->

Other phones and or Apple devices (Mac, iPad, etc) that are listed under the same Apple ID are identified here under forwarding. Simply remove each other's phone number or devices you do not wish to receive messages. Then, any text message to that particular phone number will only go to it.

I have all our phones setup that way in my home. And my Apple ID owns all the devices. Never a problem if done correctly.

Ian may have a different way to accomplish the same thing but the above works for me.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian will be posting within the next hour or so (just up from bed); but basically Admin chscag has given you the details :) ;)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.