Apple Announces Second-Generation iPhone SE Starting at $399

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So buy it now and keep it in the box until you're ready to use it or when you go back to Bali. The 7 is still a good iPhone and you could always pass it on to a family member or friend while there in Australia. The new SE is not going to get any cheaper. And why do you think you need the 128GB model?

My wife's 7+ is 128GB and she has it loaded with photos, images, videos, and messages, but it's only using around 20GB. My 8 is 64GB and I'm only using around 10GB. Many folks buy iPhones with lots of storage and wind up only using a fraction of it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Cool! New iPhone SE could very well be my next phone as well.

Please let us know your initial thoughts (Pro's & Con's).:)

Thanks,

- Nick

x 2,

and what service provider.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
and what service provider.

Just a quick note about that.....

It's always best to buy the unlocked no service provider version if you're buying direct from Apple. All you need to do is remove the SIM card from your old phone and insert in the new one. A SIM card remover comes in the box with each iPhone you buy.

on0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27” 40/512 ssd

It's always best to buy the unlocked no service provider version if you're buying direct from Apple. All you need to do is remove the SIM card from your old phone and insert in the new one. A SIM card remover comes in the box with each iPhone you buy.

Yes, buy unlocked from Apple which allows you to take advantage of any discount Apple offers ie Education or in my case Military/veteran.

My carriers are tracfone (Verizon mvno) & FreeUp (AT&T mvno). Unfortunately neither will allow me to utilize the Apple eSIM installed on the ES 2020. I'm watching for a mvno that utilizes the eSIM.

Note: Order today, delivers:
May 11 - May 18 – Free

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So buy it now and keep it in the box until you're ready to use it or when you go back to Bali. The 7 is still a good iPhone and you could always pass it on to a family member or friend while there in Australia. The new SE is not going to get any cheaper. And why do you think you need the 128GB model?

My wife's 7+ is 128GB and she has it loaded with photos, images, videos, and messages, but it's only using around 20GB. My 8 is 64GB and I'm only using around 10GB. Many folks buy iPhones with lots of storage and wind up only using a fraction of it.

I have 128Gb my the iPhone 7, after 3 years I have just over 85Gb.

OP
M
Reaction score
@on0: Thanks for that info. I have Verizon now. The service has been fine, but they recently pissed me off with some credit card shenanigans, so, if I get a new phone, I may try ATT.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as carriers go, I have tried them all - Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and finally T-Mobile.

We settled on T-Mobile because they give us 2 lines of unlimited calls, data, and texts for $60/month. That includes taxes. If you're 55 and over T-Mobile has that special, however, you must use auto-pay to pay your bill each month. It's a great deal compared with other carriers. And in our area of Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth) service is great.

Also, T-Mobile has taken over Sprint as of April 1 of this year which means that the Sprint towers are now available to T-Mobile customers.

on0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27” 40/512 ssd
As far as carriers go, I have tried them all - Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and finally T-Mobile.

We settled on T-Mobile because they give us 2 lines of unlimited calls, data, and texts for $60/month. That includes taxes. If you're 55 and over T-Mobile has that special, however, you must use auto-pay to pay your bill each month. It's a great deal compared with other carriers. And in our area of Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth) service is great.

Also, T-Mobile has taken over Sprint as of April 1 of this year which means that the Sprint towers are now available to T-Mobile customers.

We are lite users and have tried many but the current ones: Tracfone Prepaid Wireless Smartphone SIM+Plan-1200 Min,1200 Txt, 3GB Data $50 annual on eBay. (Verizon towers)

Even cheaper: FreeUp Mobile which is FREE. The Free plan is no longer available and they did just cut the usage down from 1000 minutes a month to 250 minutes of talk and 250 text messages per month.(no data) can't complain as it's free and on AT&T towers. :D

PS, If T-Mobile works for your area I would take a look at Mint Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO) for $15 mo. INCLUDES: Unlimited Nationwide Talk & Text 3GB 4G LTE per month

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I may have a high price to pay for the iPhone SE at point of sale but I cannot complain about my provider Amaysim. I believe they are a British owned company and their price, services, options and support are exemplary and believe me I've tried a few. I pay $20.00/month for 10Gb of data and unlimited calls within Australia.
While in Bali for extended times (6+ months) not only is my number preserved but the fee carries over into the next month as credit meaning after the first month the plan costs nothing. Couple that with 24/7 live phone support from people who actually speak English and live here in Australia or at least they did 2 years ago (the last time I actually needed to speak live to a rep). Replacement SIM cards are easily available and activated by scanning with the Amaysim app. I guess it's that old adage, "what you loose on the swings you pick up on the merry go round".

OP
M
Reaction score

Wanted to follow up on the idea of buying an unlocked phone.

This from the Apple site: The iPhone will be locked when you choose AT&T as your carrier and pay with an AT&T Installment Plan. All other iPhones with plans or iPhones that are SIM-free are considered unlocked.

How should I understand this? Locked is unlocked or locked is locked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I understand that to mean, the only iPhone that is locked are the iPhones purchased for AT&T, through the AT&T monthly installment plan. If you buy an iPhone for AT&T and pay outright, it will be unlocked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wanted to follow up on the idea of buying an unlocked phone.

This from the Apple site: The iPhone will be locked when you choose AT&T as your carrier and pay with an AT&T Installment Plan. All other iPhones with plans or iPhones that are SIM-free are considered unlocked.

I always purchase the SIM free version from Apple since that will work with any carrier. For example if you are currently with AT&T and decide to switch carriers to say T-Mobile, you may have to get an unlock from AT&T if you switch and use the same phone.

Also, any phone you buy directly from a carrier (not Apple) may be locked to that carrier even if you pay outright for the phone. Each carrier is different with their lock-unlock policy, so it's always best to ask first.

BTW, buying an iPhone in Canada is different. Canadian purchased phones are unlocked regardless of whether a person owes payments for the phone. A good policy that should be adapted in the US in my opinion.

OP
M
Reaction score
^^Thanks, chscag. I haven't bought an iPhone since 2012, and that was my first, so I'm no wiz at this. Your insights are helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I may have a high price to pay for the iPhone SE at point of sale but I cannot complain about my provider Amaysim. I believe they are a British owned company and their price, services, options and support are exemplary and believe me I've tried a few. I pay $20.00/month for 10Gb of data and unlimited calls within Australia.
While in Bali for extended times (6+ months) not only is my number preserved but the fee carries over into the next month as credit meaning after the first month the plan costs nothing. Couple that with 24/7 live phone support from people who actually speak English and live here in Australia or at least they did 2 years ago (the last time I actually needed to speak live to a rep). Replacement SIM cards are easily available and activated by scanning with the Amaysim app. I guess it's that old adage, "what you loose on the swings you pick up on the merry go round".

Just a correction: Amaysim is not British owned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just a correction: Amaysim is not British owned.

Just for the record:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Amaysim Australia Ltd
Type
Public Company
Traded as ASX: AYS
Industry utility services; telco, energy
Founded November 2010
Founder Peter O'Connell, Rolf Hansen, Christian Magel, Thomas Enge, Andreas Perreiter
Headquarters Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Area served
Australia
Key people
Peter O'Connell (CEO)
Products Mobile phone plans, electricity, gas and solar
Revenue Increase A$ 212.6 Million
Net income
Increase A$ 59.5 Million
Number of employees
Website amaysim | Mobile Plans & Energy Plans
Amaysim (branded as amaysim) is an Australian provider of mobile and energy plans.

amaysim was founded as an Australian telecommunications provider by Peter O'Connell, Rolf Hansen, Christian Magel, Thomas Enge and Andreas Perreiter in November 2010.[1]

The amaysim group has over 1.12 million subscribers.[2]
Amaysim - Wikipedia

Amaysim - Wikipedia

- PATRICK
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I understand that to mean, the only iPhone that is locked are the iPhones purchased for AT&T, through the AT&T monthly installment plan. If you buy an iPhone for AT&T and pay outright, it will be unlocked.
To add to this, if you want to get the AT&T phone unlocked, you have to pay it off. My daughter ran into that when she travelled overseas and wanted a local SIM to avoid the AT&T overseas charges. She couldn't get the SIM to work because the phone was locked because it was on an AT&T payment plan. She ended up putting it in airplane mode, then turning on Wifi and doing without cellular for the trip. PITA.

OP
M
Reaction score
Walk me through this. If I buy a SIM-free, unlocked iPhone, then the next thing I have to do is buy a plan with a carrier, let's say Verizon. Then, how do I get the SIM? At a Verizon retail store? Then, I have to take the back off of the phone and install the SIM?

Just trying to get the steps clear in my head.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you buy the phone from Apple, SIM-free and unlocked, you can go online to establish an account with Verizon. They may be able to ship the SIM to you and you put it in. However, I think you can get Apple to put in a SIM for you (I don't remember, it's been a while). In any event, you can put the SIM in yourself. The phone comes with a little tool to open the tray where the card goes. Then you register the SIM over the air with Verizon and you are good to go. Or you can take the phone to the nearest Verizon store and they do it all for you. I find that's the easiest way because they can do all the registering online on their system faster than I ever could myself. But then, my Verizon store is 5 minutes away...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake is correct. Placing the SIM in the phone is a 5 minute task at most. As I stated above, all iPhones sold by Apple direct have a SIM remover tool included in the box. However as Jake told you, the best way is to go to your nearest Verizon store or whichever carrier you choose, open an account, and have them put the SIM in the phone for you.

If you already have an account and an older phone, just remove the SIM from the older phone and place in the new one. Then restore your backup that you made of your old phone to the new phone. You'll be good to go. I recently did exactly that with my new phone and also for my wife.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.