Anyone installed iOS 8.1 yet?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have installed 8.1 on my iPad2 and so far have no problems with any of the installed apps, however, with Yosemite on my iMac 21.5" the drop-down Apple menu no longer appears to include 'Check for updates', whether or not "automatic updates" in Preferences is checked.
The App Store entry in the  menu will update to include a count of updates when they come in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 2.7G i5 + iPad2 +iPhone 6s+MacBookPro 15in 2017
The App Store entry in the  menu will update to include a count of updates when they come in.
Thanks for that 'van smith' but when you select App Store, it takes you to 'Featured' not Updates like the previous IOS versions did! ......Why do they have to change things that work OK?....don't bother answering that comment please or we'll open a new can of worms!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Now I'm confused - your previous comment mentioned Yosemite but you mentioned iOS in your last comment. Are you talking about the behaviour on your Mac or your iOS device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm confused - your previous comment mentioned Yosemite but you mentioned iOS in your last comment. Are you talking about the behaviour on your Mac or your iOS device?

Sorry for the confusion, slipped the 'i' in by mistake, only referring to the iMac.

C

chas_m

When I've opened the Mac App Store, it *always* opens to the Featured page -- it did this in Snow Leopard and on up. Just like the iTunes Store always opens up to that page. It has never not done this for me unless I had not actually quit the program and was just returning to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I've opened the Mac App Store, it *always* opens to the Featured page -- it did this in Snow Leopard and on up. Just like the iTunes Store always opens up to that page. It has never not done this for me unless I had not actually quit the program and was just returning to it.

In all the operating systems I've used since I bought my iMac, os9, mountain lion, mavericks etc, from the apple icon menu there was a 'check for updates' option which 'always' took me to the app store updates, not featured! and all I'm saying is that 'it ain't there any more!'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
After a week of 8.1 on my iPhone 5, things are ok. The only issue is the one I've been having since 8.0 and that is my iPhone drops wi-fi every so often. It shows a connection icon (full strength), but won't refresh Instagram or allow me to browse on Safari or access iTunes store. Anything that requires internet. If I turn off wi-fi, it works on LTE and then I'll turn wi-fi back on and it's ok again. Weird because this is only on my iPhone 5 and not our iPad Air or iPad Air 2. I didn't have this trouble with iOS 7.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a week of 8.1 on my iPhone 5, things are ok. The only issue is the one I've been having since 8.0 and that is my iPhone drops wi-fi every so often. It shows a connection icon (full strength), but won't refresh Instagram or allow me to browse on Safari or access iTunes store. Anything that requires internet. If I turn off wi-fi, it works on LTE and then I'll turn wi-fi back on and it's ok again. Weird because this is only on my iPhone 5 and not our iPad Air or iPad Air 2. I didn't have this trouble with iOS 7.
This was a known issue with iOS 8 IIRC. That said, I've noticed the same thing here - the phone drops out of WiFi, flips back to LTE and then reconnects. I notice that this really only happens when the phone display is off and it only happens once in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I notice that this really only happens when the phone display is off and it only happens once in a while.

Yup, same here.

Funny thing is my wife hasn't had it happen to her and she has an iPhone 5 too. Hers is the silver, mine the space grey. Maybe that makes a difference? She also recently had her phone replaced, so maybe it's a slightly different model? Weird, but whatever... I've already ordered an iPhone 6 and I'm just waiting for it to ship, so this (hopefully) won't be an issue soon.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the iPhone 6 and I'm experiencing the issue. Not often mind you but I've seen it happen more than once.

Only happens with the space gray variant? Maybe your phone spaces out. I'm sorry, I'll show myself out. ;)

Reaction score
Im still running iOS 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5s

Im thinking of updating to iOS 8.1

But for some reason in iTunes, it only says version 8.0.2 is available. Why is that? Must I do that update before 8.1 is available to me?

Im running Yosemite and my iTunes is up to date (12.0.1.26)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Im still running iOS 7.1.2 on my iPhone 5s

Im thinking of updating to iOS 8.1

But for some reason in iTunes, it only says version 8.0.2 is available. Why is that? Must I do that update before 8.1 is available to me?

Im running Yosemite and my iTunes is up to date (12.0.1.26)

I upgraded our iPads to iOS 8.1 recently and as I recall on my wife's Mini (which was on 7.x; I was already at 8.0.2 on my iPad 2), iTunes stated the same but the upgrade was to 8.1 - just my experience. Good luck - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I updated my new iPad Mini 2 last night. For some reason it arrived brand new with only iOS7.1.2, so I had to do a full update. It took most of the evening to download with my very slow connection and then ages and ages for the verification - then went through the actual installation pretty quickly.

It seems OK so far. Still prefer the interface of iOS6, but my tired old eyes don't see pale thin fonts and pastel colours that well. Seems Apple is for the young :D

Edit - it said iOS8.1 when it was offered on my iPad.

Reaction score
Just curious given all the fun I have had with Yosemite, I was wondering if anyone has installed the latest update and if there are any issues cropping up.

Lisa
I've updated my iPad 4 first to iOS 8, then to 8.1 and I wish I hadn't done so. None of my important apps work anymore. These were apps I could use in class for my English lessons and were the reason I bought the iPad last year. I've already searched the iTunes Store but there's nothing comparable for iOS 8.1. Further more iOS 8 seems to be using up most of the capacity of my 32 GB iPad, Even after having thrown out a lot of the unimportant apps, there's only 6 GB left. Before the update it was 16 GB.
I'm frustrated. And I'm surely not going to update my MBpro, that is still running on mountain lion as I am afraid all the programmes I desperately need for my job might not work anymore either.
:Not-Amused:

Reaction score
When I upgraded my iPad to iOS7 I started to experience problems with freezing and crashing. When iOS 8 came out I upgraded to it in thevhope that Apple had sorted out the problems. They haven't, and if anything the problems are now greater. I've upgraded to every new version in the hope that the problems have been solved, but no joy. I've now bought a new Samsung tablet and will transfer to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
All good on my iPad Air. It took three hours to download and about 15 minutes to install. Apps open much faster it seems than with 7.

Because of how long it took to download, I will wait till tomorrow to upgrade my iPhone 5S.

Where can I read about all the new cool things iOS 8 can do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.