Anyone installed iOS 8.1 yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just curious given all the fun I have had with Yosemite, I was wondering if anyone has installed the latest update and if there are any issues cropping up.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Monday's around here are busy Lisa. I'll try the update later and let you know if I had any success with it. I also have my wife's iPad to update beside my iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have just installed 8.1 on my 5S and no issues with the install, nor any of the settings or apps.
All is well.
I am now experimenting with making/receiving phone calls from my MBA and text messages as well.
All honky dory, no problems .

Cheers ... McBie

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Monday's around here are busy Lisa. I'll try the update later and let you know if I had any success with it. I also have my wife's iPad to update beside my iPhone.

I understand busy Mondays! :D My editors are encoding away as I type. I will await your review (and I will wait this time!)

Thanks!
Lisa

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just installed 8.1 on my 5S and no issues with the install, nor any of the settings or apps.
All is well.
I am now experimenting with making/receiving phone calls from my MBA and text messages as well.
All honky dory, no problems .

Cheers ... McBie

Great! But I will still wait a bit. I really got side swiped on the Yosemite update so I am learning to control my "need for new now" impulses. They say it builds character....or something like that. ;D

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I've installed 8.1 on both my iPhone and iPad and so far so good. Both devices now show up in iTunes the way they did before without having to attach the device by USB cable.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
In the middle of it right now on my iPad Retina Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I installed 8.1 a couple of hours ago at work but haven't tried the phone features on my MBA yet. The text messaging worked for me Friday but I was texting my sister who has an iPhone. I think the update was to include texting with non-iPhones.

Lisa, why don't you ask Siri if she wants to be updated? :D

chascag, I noticed that iTunes behavior Saturday when I opened it with my 5s on the network. I thought it came from either Yosemite or the iTunes update. Anyway, when it happened I said "Cool!" (I have been using that word a lot since going to Apple).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Lisa - just updated my iPad 2 to iOS 8.1 - all that verifying takes time so patience is a must - used a cabled connection to my MBPro w/ the newest version of iTunes (after a backup).

The device rebooted fine although I did a 'reset' anyway - so far, the half dozen apps I tried seem to work fine; could retrieve/send mail and Safari bookmarks still function - so no major issues at the moment.

Will play w/ it the next few days and then upgrade my wife's iPad Mini - now, as to Yosemite and our Macs, I'll wait a while - Dave :)

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the info. I think maybe tomorrow I might give iOS 8.1 a try.

Yosemite has finally settled down and all email accounts are functioning well. No other issues found.

iMitch - I asked Siri and she said "I'm sure I don't know." Really - quite hmorous and not very comforting.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
All is working well here on my 6 Plus. I have not had one negative issue since I installed at noon. I'm going to give Apple Pay a try tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

C

chas_m

There is a misconception that iOS 8.1 is a major upgrade on par with Yosemite. It isn't.

I installed it in about 20 minutes on both of my iOS devices. No change from anything that I can detect, though I note that I should now be able to send SMS messages from my Mac via relay now that I have 8.1 on the iPhone. That's nice.

The phone call continuity feature worked fine before this. Bottom line, no issues at all (obviously haven't tested every app, but the ones I most use seem unaffected in the slightest). I don't have an iPhone 6 so I can't test Apple Pay yet -- not quite understanding why I can't use an iPhone 5s for that for online buying but I assume an explanation or update will be forthcoming.

Reaction score
No problems installing on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air. Nice to see camera roll back!

chas-m: I thought only the 6 has the radio needed for Apple Pay?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 11.1, 13,3", 2,4ghz, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd + Ext Seagate 1TB 3.0, macOS Sierra
Installed 8.1 to 4S and 5 without glitch.

It looks like 4S works somewhat faster than on previous version,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I can confirm that Apple Pay works like a charm. Took me a second to figure out what I was supposed to do, but after that all was well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I updated my iPad mini this morning. Seems just fine. I am still waiting for my new iPhone 6+.....sigh...

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback! After Yosemite, I didn't want to chance two flakey devices at the same time. iOS 8.1 is working great. Oh, and Yosemite has settle down and everything is working fine.

It has been an interesting journey.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
I had heard many reports of iOS 8 on an iPad 2 making the device excruciatingly slow... Has anyone who had experienced that done 8.1 and noticed a difference? I've not updated my iPad 2 because of all the reports of how it's slowed down iPad 2s. Just wondering if anyone's noticed a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I had heard many reports of iOS 8 on an iPad 2 making the device excruciatingly slow... Has anyone who had experienced that done 8.1 and noticed a difference? I've not updated my iPad 2 because of all the reports of how it's slowed down iPad 2s. Just wondering if anyone's noticed a difference.

As stated on the previous page, I updated my iPad 2 from 8.0.2 to 8.1 last night - now nearly 24 hrs later, all seems fine - I used a cabled connection via iTunes on my MBPro after a backup - then also did a 'Reset' after the update - might want to tell us 'how' you plan to upgrade (assume you're still on 7.x?).

Just upgraded my wife's Mini from 7.x to 8.1 - seems to have gone fine - she'll tell me if any problems arise in a hurry, I'm sure. NOW, I can concentrate on the Yosemite threads - have two computers to take from Mavericks! :) Dave

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I don't have an iPhone 6 so I can't test Apple Pay yet -- not quite understanding why I can't use an iPhone 5s for that for online buying but I assume an explanation or update will be forthcoming.

It seems to be a design decision that you have to have TouchID on the device. They allow Apple Pay for web purchases from the new iPad/mini with TouchID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Updated my iPhone 5 last night. Everything is working fine so far. This was my first time opening iTunes since upgrading to Yosemite and might I say "YUCK!" Yeah, so....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.