Airport Extreme vs. Century Link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
There are plenty of other people using Centurylink in you building. Go knock on some doors and ask how they are set up with CL.

+1!!! That sure makes for a good logical sense suggestion to me. Might even meet some nice new neighbours... šŸ˜

Don't forget to check what their download/upload speeds are and what brand and model modem they are using as well as any and what ports etc...

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
+1!!! That sure makes for a good logical sense suggestion to me. Might even meet some nice new neighbours... šŸ˜

- Patrick
=======

Lot of them are armed. The ones I have talked with agree; CL s---s...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
But your screen shot says you are getting 100Mbps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 12.29.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 12.29.36 PM.png
    42 KB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 3.33.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 3.33.00 PM.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lot of them are armed. The ones I have talked with agree; CL s---s...

It would doubt that you have anything to worry about just because they might be armed, unless of course you tend to be an A H which I doubt and maybe you could also discuss guns as well... šŸ˜

To my limited knowledge, CL in this area (LA) Lower Alabama, has never achieved that much.

Maybe check out Centurylink at the DSL forums site:

I think they also carry a database of ISP ratings and speeds etcetera... I didn't look that far...

- Patrick
=======

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would doubt that you have anything to worry about just because they might be armed, unless of course you tend to be an A H which I doubt and maybe you could also discuss guns as well... šŸ˜

Maybe check out Centurylink at the DSL forums site:

I think they also carry a database of ISP ratings and speeds etcetera... I didn't look that far...

- Patrick
=======

Thank you Patrick,
I try not to be an A H, but sometimes I forget... :}

Didn't know there was such a site and will check it out...

Thanks again Mac Man,

No matter what it says on the screenshot I am not getting 100mbs. That's just wishful propaganda...

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New question, maybe...

After all this changing, disconnecting, re-connecting, testing, and hair pulling (not much left at this stage) my mac mini has been acting spooky. Now, when I turn it on the chime is barley audible. Ran first aid but it didn't help. Could it be miffed at me for putting it through all this chaos? Or has it developed a case of the delta variant? Asking for a friend... :}

Reaction score
I have Century Link an router. I only plug in the router to the phone line, power, and DSL port. This provides me with wi-fi throughout my home. My canon wi-fi printer is in one room, MacBook Pro in another, cell phone all over. I have an Air port station sitting unopened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My CL barely works at the other end of my house. I do not have a big house. And forget about going outside. So I disabled my CL Wifi and I have an Airport express 2nd generation that will work all throughout the house and outside. My shop is 150 feet from the Airport and my laptop does not pick up the signal. So I took my ancient old airport express and taped it to the window in my shop and use it as a repeater. There is just enough signal that the old AE picks it up and amplifies the signal so I can get it in my shop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No matter what it says on the screenshot I am not getting 100mbs. That's just wishful propaganda...

So what speeds do you get if you used some of the speed test sites???:

Take your pick from any of these listed test sites:

You might want to try checking several times a day and at different times.

- Patrick
=======

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what speeds do you get if you used some of the speed test sites???:

Take your pick from any of these listed test sites:

You might want to try checking several times a day and at different times.

- Patrick
=======

Something weird is going on. After doing the failed test with connecting the AE directly to the ethernet wall hub I thought I'd try to move the AE into the office (spare bedroom) and see if it could wirelessly connect to the CL. That didn't work either. Then I started fiddling around with the AE controls, the network controls, the CL controls, etc. to maybe get a connection that way. I've done so much fiddling that I couldn't begin to explain it all (the little gray cells were smoldering). The end result is that the AE is still in the office, amber light blinking. But look AE shows! What netspot shows! I'm CL1062 and John's WIFI Network. And look what speedtest shows! CL even has a "Mac Authentication" page I tried without any luck!

I've been at this all day (except for my afternoon libations, of course) and I cannot understand a thing! Why shouldn't I be able to connect the AE WIRELESSLY to the CL from the office and, why can't I shut down the router end of the CL to make that happen??

HELEN HELP US!! (I think that's an old newspaper column for those wondering)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.14.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.14.31 PM.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.01.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.01.10 PM.png
    479.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.03.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.03.09 PM.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.31.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.31.25 PM.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blinking yellow in this situation means AE is lacking a connection to the internet. (Blinking yellow can also mean AE has an upgrade available but is Apple supporting AE anymore?) AE is not able to communicate with your CL modem. They have to be connected via an ethernet cable. They are incompatible with each other via wireless. That is a fruitless endeavor. That is shows on Netspot only means that it AE is sending out a signal. Netspot doesn't tell you the strength or connectivity to the internet. It only shows the strength of the signal of the wifi router. AE is not sending any data as it is not connected to the internet. So that is why it is appearing.

Last edited:
OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blinking yellow in this situation means AE is lacking a connection to the internet. (Blinking yellow can also mean AE has an upgrade available but is Apple supporting AE anymore?) AE is not able to communicate with your CL modem. They have to be connected via an ethernet cable. They are incompatible with each other via wireless. That is a fruitless endeavor. That is shows on Netspot only means that it AE is sending out a signal. Netspot doesn't tell you the strength or connectivity to the internet. It only shows the strength of the signal of the wifi router. AE is not sending any data as it is not connected to the internet. So that is why it is appearing.

Thanks again Mac Man,
Looks like all the more reason to separate CL from its router... There must be a way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Try shutting off the wifi on the CL modem and reconnect your AE via ethernet cable attached to CL modem. I still think that CL has that Modem/router throttled either the way it is set up or down in the basement where the whole building is wired.
I have been throttled at the CL hub in town. I had 10 Mbps and they lowered it to 8 Mbps with some lame excuse that I could not get 10 out were I lived. Trouble is I had 10 working for years before they changed it. I look on the web site and they offer 40 Mbps service where I live but then I call they start taking in circles. CL is a lying bunch of *********.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I started fiddling around with the AE controls, the network controls, the CL controls, etc. to maybe get a connection that way. I've done so much fiddling that I couldn't begin to explain it all (the little gray cells were smoldering). The end result is that the AE is still in the office, amber light blinking.
I've been at this all day (except for my afternoon libations, of course) and I cannot understand a thing!

From the date of your first post on the problem, it looks like you have been charging windmills for several weeks here now and 'fiddling around with the AE controls' is certainly not the best way to tackle a problem with your Apple Extreme.

Maybe it is time to get some proper documentation and instructions and follow them very carefully or maybe better still, get hold of an expert networking Tech and get things sorted out, and it may be well worth your while and save any hair or patience that you might have left.

And maybe look at other methods as it is possible that your AE has actually come to the end of its lifeline. Many users have found that their similar AE units succumbed sometime ago.

And do you really need to use it???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't disagree with Patrick. I'd die to get 19Mbps download but it is beyond my control. .
Someone at CL at internet tech support can tell you how your system is set up and what the max speeds are on your plan. If you have been changing things inside your modem or the AE without knowing what you are doing you might be lucky you still have internet access. Other than shutting of the wifi on the modem I do not think I am capable of doing anything other than rebooting it.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Try shutting off the wifi on the CL modem and reconnect your AE via ethernet cable attached to CL modem. I still think that CL has that Modem/router throttled either the way it is set up or down in the basement where the whole building is wired.
I have been throttled at the CL hub in town. I had 10 Mbps and they lowered it to 8 Mbps with some lame excuse that I could not get 10 out were I lived. Trouble is I had 10 working for years before they changed it. I look on the web site and they offer 40 Mbps service where I live but then I call they start taking in circles. CL is a lying bunch of *********.

Thanks Mac Man,
I'm sure the nice folks at CL have fine tuned their products to give just enough juice to make you want more. There is no basement but wherever the hub is you can bet it is 'throttled...

Haven't tried your suggestion yet and will when I return from the Legion. Gotta make an appearance you know...

Attachments

• 20200711_151737.jpg
    20200711_151737.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the date of your first post on the problem, it looks like you have been charging windmills for several weeks here now and 'fiddling around with the AE controls' is certainly not the best way to tackle a problem with your Apple Extreme.

Maybe it is time to get some proper documentation and instructions and follow them very carefully or maybe better still, get hold of an expert networking Tech and get things sorted out, and it may be well worth your while and save any hair or patience that you might have left.

And maybe look at other methods as it is possible that your AE has actually come to the end of its lifeline. Many users have found that their similar AE units succumbed sometime ago.

And do you really need to use it???

- Patrick
=======

Thanks Patrick,
You are correct. I've been chasing windmills longer than this forum but some of those little gray cells can't help themselves and tempt me that "just around the corner" is the pot of gold...

Along with fiddling I have read and re-read manuals, instruction sheets and other forums in search of that gold...

I have enjoyed yours and the others inputs but I think maybe it is time to move on to something else as it appears I've worn out my welcome...

Thanks again...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have enjoyed yours and the others inputs but I think maybe it is time to move on to something else as it appears I've worn out my welcome...

You'll always be welcome. :) Just keep on trucking and maybe we can "activate" some of those gray cells that have gone to sleep. ;)

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll always be welcome. :) Just keep on trucking and maybe we can "activate" some of those gray cells that have gone to sleep. ;)

Many thanks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.