Airport Extreme vs. Century Link

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
Ah, looking again at the images you provided, you seem to have a DSL connection on the CL. It that the port you referred to as "gazinta?" If that is the case, I was incorrect about the coax. In my experience, most providers use coax to the house, then coax within the house to the wall outlet and a small coax from the wall to the modem. Not the case for you, I guess.

So, if nothing moves, then a long ethernet cord, long enough to reach from the CL to the Mac, is in order. Actually, you may need two of them, one to go to the Mac to configure the CL and another to go from the CL to the AE when you configure it. Eventually the one from the CL to the Mac will be replaced by WiFi and you can remove it, although Ethernet will always be faster than Wifi, so if you don't mind the cable going from one room to another, you could just stick with Ethernet and none of the WiFi problems would matter. If the only use of WiFi is for the Mac, the Ethernet cable will do nicely.

Can't do the permanent cable between room for reasons mentioned earlier. But can do it to bring the CL close to the mac to make the change. Could also use the shorter cable to connect the AE to CL as it could be plugged into outlet in bedroom. Then move back to square one. Que no? (Also use the wandering ipad).

Already forgot;
1. plug CL from WAN port to the wall?
2. plug AE from WAN port to different port in CL?
3. pause for adult beverage(s)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
So, at the end the wiring needs to be

wall-----CL------AE ) ) ) ) ) ) ) Mac

when you end up. Wire to CL, ethernet to AE, Wifi from AE to mac

But, to get there, you need

wall-----CL----Mac, so that you can make the changes to the CL to turn off the WiFi (the Transparent Bridge mode they call it) and not lose internet connectivity. The cable from the CL to the Mac is ethernet and will run from one room to another as you do the setting up, but will eventually be removed.

Then you need,

wall-----CL----Mac
-------------\-----AE so you can set up the AE and connect from the Mac to the AE wirelessly but still have the wired connection if it goes south on you. (Trying to show both the AE and the Mac connected to the CL by ethernet cable.)

When all is said and done, the closer the AE is to the Mac the better the signal, but the AE does have 5GHz, which is less prone to interference from other routers, so you can use that band and get away from all the neighbors using 2.4GHz.

So, you can get away with one long ethernet cable, temporarily in place, to lead from the CL to the Mac, and one short Ethernet cable from the CL to the AE that will become permanent, do the setup and then remove the long cable to tidy up. You can keep it just in case you ever have to do any troubleshooting, or if you get a replacement for the CL and need to do the setup again.

I am sort of assuming that your house is not wired with cable connections in every room, as it would be easy to move the CL to the bedroom if it were the case.

There is a kind of "high wire" act way of doing this without the long ethernet cable, if you want to try it. Just use WiFi to enter into bridge mode. As soon as it kicks in, you will lose connectivity to the CL and to the Internet, so you'll be flying blind for a bit. Now cable up the AE, power it on and then look for it on the Mac. If it connects and if it has Internet, you are in great shape. If it connects but doesn't have internet, but you can see the CL, then the issue is the CL lost the internet in the process and will need to be restarted at a minimum, reset at the worst. If you can see the AE, but not the CL, then the link between CL and AE is wrong and is the worst case because now you have no connection to the CL from the Mac at all. If you end up in that configuration, you'll need to get the long Ethernet to reach from the CL to the Mac to reset back to what it was before. Hence, the "high wire" description. If it works, and it should, you are golden. But if it fails and the issue is in the CL, you don't have an easy way back to it without the long ethernet cable. Much like a high wire act, risky, but pretty good probability of success. Failure is ugly.

So, have I confused you enough?

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2014 OS Sierra, Ipad 6th gen. IOS 14.4.2, Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core OSX 10.6.8
So, at the end the wiring needs to be

wall-----CL------AE ) ) ) ) ) ) ) Mac

when you end up. Wire to CL, ethernet to AE, Wifi from AE to mac

But, to get there, you need

wall-----CL----Mac, so that you can make the changes to the CL to turn off the WiFi (the Transparent Bridge mode they call it) and not lose internet connectivity. The cable from the CL to the Mac is ethernet and will run from one room to another as you do the setting up, but will eventually be removed.

Then you need,

wall-----CL----Mac
-------------\-----AE so you can set up the AE and connect from the Mac to the AE wirelessly but still have the wired connection if it goes south on you. (Trying to show both the AE and the Mac connected to the CL by ethernet cable.)

When all is said and done, the closer the AE is to the Mac the better the signal, but the AE does have 5GHz, which is less prone to interference from other routers, so you can use that band and get away from all the neighbors using 2.4GHz.

So, you can get away with one long ethernet cable, temporarily in place, to lead from the CL to the Mac, and one short Ethernet cable from the CL to the AE that will become permanent, do the setup and then remove the long cable to tidy up. You can keep it just in case you ever have to do any troubleshooting, or if you get a replacement for the CL and need to do the setup again.

I am sort of assuming that your house is not wired with cable connections in every room, as it would be easy to move the CL to the bedroom if it were the case.

There is a kind of "high wire" act way of doing this without the long ethernet cable, if you want to try it. Just use WiFi to enter into bridge mode. As soon as it kicks in, you will lose connectivity to the CL and to the Internet, so you'll be flying blind for a bit. Now cable up the AE, power it on and then look for it on the Mac. If it connects and if it has Internet, you are in great shape. If it connects but doesn't have internet, but you can see the CL, then the issue is the CL lost the internet in the process and will need to be restarted at a minimum, reset at the worst. If you can see the AE, but not the CL, then the link between CL and AE is wrong and is the worst case because now you have no connection to the CL from the Mac at all. If you end up in that configuration, you'll need to get the long Ethernet to reach from the CL to the Mac to reset back to what it was before. Hence, the "high wire" description. If it works, and it should, you are golden. But if it fails and the issue is in the CL, you don't have an easy way back to it without the long ethernet cable. Much like a high wire act, risky, but pretty good probability of success. Failure is ugly.

So, have I confused you enough?

Hi Jake,
I hope you know I'm going to have CL and AE nightmares tonight! Off hand I'd say it's a BFD, but since I've gone this far I guess I'll go for the 'safe route'.

If you don't hear from me again you'll know I fell off the wire and am dangling by the seat of my pants... :{

Thanks again.

(Now you know why I didn't answer you promptly...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you don't hear from me again you'll know I fell off the wire and am dangling by the seat of my pants... :{

Thanks again.

(Now you know why I didn't answer you promptly...)

Enjoy the brew, but lose the re-elect m-f red cap, please... please... please... :cry

- Patrick
=======

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Enjoy the brew, but lose the re-elect m-f red cap, please... please... please... :cry

- Patrick
=======

No offense meant. They passed around the hat and we had our picture snapped. Fun time...

Still enjoying the new, improved signal until I can get to the store...

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
I just notice on your original post the photo of your modem. You have the modem connected incorrectly. You should have a thick green line from the telephone wall connection that plugs into your "DSL" green port at the bottom of the modem. The yellow cable is supposed to go to your computer during the setup and then you can use it to run to your Airport wireless router if you are using an external wireless like you showed(although the white ethernet cable will function just fine to connect to Airport).
Your DSL light should be lit up when the C1110T is connected. Somewhere in you original kit from CL there is a green cable that is supposed to plug into the DSL port at the bottom of the modem. Your DSL light on the modem should lit up green like the photo I am posting. You have plugged your phone line into your Wan/Lan port with a yellow cord. This should not be the case if you are running DSL off the phone line.
Note per the instructions on the CL website: "The DSL light on the modem should be solid green, indicating an active network connection, before configuring this setting". So if you want to move to transparent bridging you have to have your DSL connected.
Did your set up this connection or was it like that when you moved in?

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 5.16.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 5.16.39 PM.png
    151 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just notice on your original post the photo of your modem. You have the modem connected incorrectly.

Good catch Mac Man, and as the saying goes... A picture is always well worth including...

I would think your solution should fix the OP's modem/router connection/speed problem... ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just notice on your original post the photo of your modem. You have the modem connected incorrectly. You should have a thick green line from the telephone wall connection that plugs into your "DSL" green port at the bottom of the modem. The yellow cable is supposed to go to your computer during the setup and then you can use it to run to your Airport wireless router if you are using an external wireless like you showed(although the white ethernet cable will function just fine to connect to Airport).
Your DSL light should be lit up when the C1110T is connected. Somewhere in you original kit from CL there is a green cable that is supposed to plug into the DSL port at the bottom of the modem. Your DSL light on the modem should lit up green like the photo I am posting. You have plugged your phone line into your Wan/Lan port with a yellow cord. This should not be the case if you are running DSL off the phone line.
Note per the instructions on the CL website: "The DSL light on the modem should be solid green, indicating an active network connection, before configuring this setting". So if you want to move to transparent bridging you have to have your DSL connected.
Did your set up this connection or was it like that when you moved in?

Thanks again Mac Man,

The only cable I received was the yellow one. No green. The only plug in the wall is for the yellow cable. I don't have DLS or a phone connected. It seems to be working well being plugged into the WAN/LAN port. And more better now that I have bypassed the water heater and A/C unit.

Next step (when I feel brave enough) is to tackle/cross that bridge. Hopefully it's not over troubled waters...

A couple of months ago I had several 20ft ethernet cables. Thinking I no longer needed them I gave them to a local computer shop. Whudda thought?

I'll let y'all know how it shakes out. Unless it doesn't, in which case it's been great hearing all this helpful information from you and the 'gang'...

Fingers Crossed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have a DSL unit. It is hooked to a telephone line even if you do not have a telephone hooked up you are still using the telephone company for internet access. Look at the front of your C1100T and see if the DSL light is green. You will fail at the attempted bridge if you try it without a DSL connection. Re-read what is says on the page above I posted from C.L. If you want to do anything in the advanced section you have to have a DSL connection that is active. Look at the screen shots I have posted. This is from a Century Link you video
Notice in the box there is a yellow and a green cord. Notice the CL technician is pointing to the green port at the bottom of the modem with a green cord in his hand and the green cord plugged into the wall.
Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 9.32.55 PM.png

Attachments

• DSL connect.png
    DSL connect.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have a DSL unit. It is hooked to a telephone line even if you do not have a telephone hooked up you are still using the telephone company for internet access. Look at the front of your C1100T and see if the DSL light is green. You will fail at the attempted bridge if you try it without a DSL connection. Re-read what is says on the page above I posted from C.L. If you want to do anything in the advanced section you have to have a DSL connection that is active. Look at the screen shots I have posted. This is from a Century Link you video
Notice in the box there is a yellow and a green cord. Notice the CL technician is pointing to the green port at the bottom of the modem with a green cord in his hand and the green cord plugged into the wall.
View attachment 34405

Thanks again,

It looks like there will be no need for a longer cable nor will there be a need for airport express due to no DSL/phone line.

The area in which I live is a small town. The apartment complex does not have DSL.

This has been a great learning experience provided by many intelligent folks. Thanks to you I have improved my internet speed considerably by moving it away from metallic obstructions. I will highly recommend this forum to others and will, myself, return with other questions as they arise...

Thanks.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
View attachment 34405

I'm back for more...

After inspecting the wall connection to the CL I did notice a phone jack along with an ethernet plug. I've tried to contact CL to see if this is, in fact, a DLS connection. Alas, all circuits are busy; even the chat buddy.

Does this mean I DO have DSL connections? And if so, how do I get one of those cables, assuming that I can't reach anyone at CL?

And, if I can get one, will I be able to do the bridge you spoke of earlier?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't answer the cable issue, but if you do have DSL and do get a cable you can certainly do the bridging. What makes me curious is that if you are not connected to the DSL at this point, what ARE you connected to to get any internet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well from the photos he is attaching his ethernet cable to the wan/lan port.
But I still say once he is properly connected to his DSL modem all he has to do is just disable the wifi on thee CL modem. Go to url 192.168.0.1 and sign in. Go to wifi setup and "disable" wifi on CL modem. It takes 1 minute to do this procedure. The modem still works as modem and then he just connects Airport to the ethernet port and turn it on and see what channel it is using. No need to bridge. He can change channels inside Airport if he needs to. He may not need to change channels but will not know that until he gets DSL connected properly and the wifi shut off and Airport connect. Right now where I am sitting I am using channel 52 on 5 GHz. If I get up and move to the other end of the house it switches to channel 6 on 2.4GHz. But I do not have any neighbors interfering with my signal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 6.56.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 6.56.43 PM.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm back for more...

After inspecting the wall connection to the CL I did notice a phone jack along with an ethernet plug. I've tried to contact CL to see if this is, in fact, a DLS connection. Alas, all circuits are busy; even the chat buddy.

Does this mean I DO have DSL connections? And if so, how do I get one of those cables, assuming that I can't reach anyone at CL?

And, if I can get one, will I be able to do the bridge you spoke of earlier?

Thanks.
Centurylink may have a store in your town or in a bigger town close by. Look them up and if you can go to the store pick one up from them. Otherwise call tech support at 866-642-0444.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't answer the cable issue, but if you do have DSL and do get a cable you can certainly do the bridging. What makes me curious is that if you are not connected to the DSL at this point, what ARE you connected to to get any internet?

As I mentioned earlier, the box on the wall has two inputs. 1. phone. 2. ethernet.
It seems the phone/DSL input doesn't do anything but the ethernet input supplies the internet to the CL. That's my guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is you have another ethernet port in the apartment somewhere. The modem would feed that ethernet line.

OP
Faqua
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is you have another ethernet port in the apartment somewhere. The modem would feed that ethernet line.

I've checked. There is a phone jack and coax jack in the living room and the two bedrooms but only one ethernet port in the living room.

It's late here. My head is full of loose wires and ports. I'll check back in the morning...

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if the apartment complex has an Internet access that is what is connected to the Ethernet port? Then when @Faqua connects to that Ethernet with a cable, he gets connection to the Internet? Then the WiFi picks up that access and allows the iMac in the other room to connect. I have to admit that getting the configuration by bits and pieces is making it hard to diagnose remotely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just realized an ethernet cable cannot fit into a telephone socket. So which which wall socket it the yellow cable connecting to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time to use the email thread option this one I'm afraid: disable emails from this thread... 😏

Too many loose threads and info missing for my old brain... It gets confused easily..

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.