AIM for Mac sucks! Any news?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
I LOVE my mac... it's the best computer ever. The only thing is, I'm a frequent AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) user and the Mac version of AIM is extremely sub-par to the Windows version. It has basically no added features and hasn't been updated in what seems like YEARS. Has anyone heard about this? What's up with that, so many people nowadays, especially college students, have Macs... you'd think they would update the program. It's frustrating.

When I first got it, it would randomly shut itself off but i realized that was because i had side scroll turned on and every time I used it, it would shut it off. I fixed that by turning off horizontal scroll and everything has been fine except for the fact that it sucks ***.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Couple of options.

iChat - My personal preference. Add Chax for more customizability. Very stable, logging, looks good, and great Video/Audio support

AdiumX - http://www.adiumx.com/ - Supports a bunch of clients, very customizable

Proteus - http://proteusx.org/ - Much like Adium, not finalized

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
yeah it is not good at all, very buggy.

check out adium at adiumx.com

lets you use AIM, MSN, Google talk, ICQ and other chat clients all in the same program

edit: or i can be out ninjaed by a mod! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
I use iChat, and sometimes Fire. But I think iChat is the best for Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I HATE AIM for the Mac and really don't even like the PC version. I love iChat. It works great and has never let me down. Adium is excellent for a Multi Chat client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use iChat, and sometimes Fire. But I think iChat is the best for Mac.
Fire is no longer being developed and two of its main developers are working on Adium, so maybe Adium is in your future

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Fire is no longer being developed and two of its main developers are working on Adium, so maybe Adium is in your future

Did not know that happened TM, thanks for the heads up! I tried Fire a long time ago but went with Adium instead for multi chat. Fire worked ok, but Adium seemed more up to date and they kept updating it and making it better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
End of an Era

We are saddened to announce that there will be no future versions of Fire. There are several reasons for this end, but the most notable is the loss of developers. Fire's development had dwindled to few developers who do not wish to continue the project alone. In addition, another major contributing factor is the fact that all but one of Fire's IM libraries is no longer in active development.

The good news is that two of Fire's developers have joined the Adium team and have written a transition path. Adium 1.0, upon first launch, will import your Fire accounts, away messages, groups, buddies, and logs into Adium. For future updates and IM needs, we suggest that you look at Adium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
End of an Era

We are saddened to announce that there will be no future versions of Fire. There are several reasons for this end, but the most notable is the loss of developers. Fire's development had dwindled to few developers who do not wish to continue the project alone. In addition, another major contributing factor is the fact that all but one of Fire's IM libraries is no longer in active development.

The good news is that two of Fire's developers have joined the Adium team and have written a transition path. Adium 1.0, upon first launch, will import your Fire accounts, away messages, groups, buddies, and logs into Adium. For future updates and IM needs, we suggest that you look at Adium.
Wow I didn't know Fire was so popular! In fact, I thought it was just a very unknown generic chat client! Silly me. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I notices the same thing, but whenever I would scroll AIM would "quit unexpectedly." I now use iChat, but it seems to lack some of the features of AIM. At least it works, that's all I'm worried about.

OP
BethanyLieb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do these programs have the same capabilities as AIM such as having a profile and being able to view others profiles also? and away messages and being able to appear offline when you are online? if so... then.. awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
I LOVE my mac... it's the best computer ever. The only thing is, I'm a frequent AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) user and the Mac version of AIM is extremely sub-par to the Windows version. It has basically no added features and hasn't been updated in what seems like YEARS. Has anyone heard about this? What's up with that, so many people nowadays, especially college students, have Macs... you'd think they would update the program. It's frustrating.

When I first got it, it would randomly shut itself off but i realized that was because i had side scroll turned on and every time I used it, it would shut it off. I fixed that by turning off horizontal scroll and everything has been fine except for the fact that it sucks ***.

Development for AIM ended when iChat was made. Thats what I use. Personally, I hate AIM in general, even the Windows version. Its filled with many annoying "features" (like taking you to aim.com right after logging in) and its very resource intensive.

Just use iChat (its very good and straightforward) or adium.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Do these programs have the same capabilities as AIM such as having a profile and being able to view others profiles also? and away messages and being able to appear offline when you are online? if so... then.. awesome!

iChat uses your existing AIM account, so you can edit your profile from AIM's website. iChat also has away messages, direct IM, video chat, voice chat, etc.
However, it doesn't allow your account to be invisible. You can use adium for that, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

yesss, adium has all of these features and more. you can personalize the look of it to fit what you like. I think adium, or even ichat if your not into customization, would work great for you. Some of the features are accesed differently than AIM, but you can definetely do all of those...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I'm not a fan of adium. I prefer ichat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Another vote for adium here.

OP
BethanyLieb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like iChat just because of the away messages and the difficulty in viewing profiles. AIM is just one click... ichat is a bit annoying. Also the away messages have to be typed as a paragraph and you can't make font changes or anything like that. I also don't like how i can't group my buddies into groups... they're either listed by name or availability. that bugs me. and i can't put people's cell phone numbers on there either. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't like iChat just because of the away messages and the difficulty in viewing profiles. AIM is just one click... ichat is a bit annoying. Also the away messages have to be typed as a paragraph and you can't make font changes or anything like that. I also don't like how i can't group my buddies into groups... they're either listed by name or availability. that bugs me. and i can't put people's cell phone numbers on there either. :(
Yea customizability of away messages and profiles is not very robust in iChat.

You can use groups and phone numbers though. To use groups*go to View -> Use groups. When you click the plus at the bottom of iChat you can add groups or edit groups, from there its just drag and dropping.

To add phone numbers just put in +1 in front of the area code and number

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Get Adium. It puts every other IM program to shame. iChat is old and busted... Adium is the new hotness.

Reaction score
i was in the same boat...i loved AIM and found out how bad it sucked once i got a mac. I downloaded Adium and i didn't really like it at first, but once i got used to it and figured out how to use it(tons of customization)...i really started to like it. it basically has everything AIM does on the PC, just a little different look. but once you figure out how to do everything it has to offer, its great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.