A switcher's guide to OS X Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53ghz, 4gb RAM, 320gb HD, 512mb vid card.
If you hold the command key while clicking it'll open stuff into a tab.

Seperate question - downloaded Acquisition off of that first post in this thread recommending it for downloads, except - it gets stuck connecting and doesn't do anything. Google searches only brought up old posts from back in like July and April, no fixes that I saw besides "download the new version, it works now". Except, I'm pretty sure that the version on their site is the latest and it still doesn't work. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2Ghz, C2D, 4Gb Ram, 160Gb HDD. 8Gb Ipod Touch 1G.
Update

This list looks very dated now. Doesn't look good to recent switchers.

Anyone fancy updating it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook with Snow Leopard
A great guide for a MacBook newbie! I have found Adium to an excellent program much like Trillian (PC) or Pidgin (Linux). Thus far my Mac experience has been great. I have NOT missed the windows world for one second!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 4 Ram, 320 GB
After years of Window PCs, finally gotten tired of the BSOD and switched to Mac. Still trying to get used to it and this forum is a great help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I'm not sure who wrote that, but it needs an update. Numbers is now included in the iWork suite. It seems it was written before that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro | 15" Macbook Pro (2009)
Regardless of our outdated it may seem, its too exceedingly helpful to us mac switcher having just done that myself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 9.1 4GB / 640GB / 24"
Excellent, definitely worth a read! Helped my 1st Mac day for sure. :D

Reaction score
several years ago, I have tried one mac machine, which is pretty old and very slowly. now i have one dell notebook, and think of switching to mac, and after come across this website, I have decided to have one mac notebook as soon as possible my budget can go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 2.2 i7 4GB 750GB
Useful, cept a new article/link is needed please

Reaction score
Hello, I´ve been using a PBG4 with MAC OS X 10.4, and recently discovered that my software dvd´s have MAC OS X 10.3.3 in it.

My problem is that i want to format my mac, but i dont know if i´ll be capable of updating to mac os x tiger again without paying!

Any help!? thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello, I´ve been using a PBG4 with MAC OS X 10.4, and recently discovered that my software dvd´s have MAC OS X 10.3.3 in it.

My problem is that i want to format my mac, but i dont know if i´ll be capable of updating to mac os x tiger again without paying!

Any help!? thanks

Unfortunately, you'll need to buy a Tiger or Leopard retail disc if you want to maintain the newer version.

Reaction score
My mac os x tiger version was upgraded and payed by internet. is there any way to reinstall keeping my upgraded version?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My mac os x tiger version was upgraded and payed by internet. is there any way to reinstall keeping my upgraded version?

No it wasn't. OS X has never been sold as a downloadable install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Just a word to Windows users making the switch. I am in the field of digital forensic and electronic discovery. The short of it is I am a legal hacker. :Cool:

This has been the best thread of any forum I have ever had the pleasure of reading. The main point is this, newb's will read every word and every page of this thread, whereas folks like me skim...because we're "experts" LOL!! To all you supposed experts, go to page one, and read every word on every page in this thread and save yourself some frustration. Trust me, you'll save yourself countless hours of research!

I love my MBP 15" 2.66!!!! Prior to owning a Mac, I simply detested the "other" OS. Now I have a Mac, and, life is good. (I still detest the "other" OS although more now than before) The Mac just works. Thanks MacForums!

Now, to learn Unix!:Evil:

Reaction score
is their anything i can do to improve my battery life

Hi i've just got my mac and when the battery is 100% it says it has 4 hours of battery left even though it's a 7 hour laptop how do i increase this;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.