A Good Replacement for Maps App?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
I just put the Google Maps icon on my desktop (if they call it a desktop on the iPhone 5). Doug, I am not clear on why you can't use Google maps if you live in a big city? I understand the drain on resources since I am new to the iPhone, or any smartphone for that matter, and after having this iPhone 5 for 4 days now, I am finding the battery goes fast. I have to learn what to turn off and what to leave on. Trying to do that by myself is not working because I do not understand most of what is in the Settings App.
I guess it might depend on your location as well as carrier, but the web based Map solution in my own personal experience is absolutely horrendous! You should have seen me in the street the other day, as if I was Sean Penn, and someone killed my daughter, the way I was carrying on about "how infuriating this experience is"! My wife must have been mortified by the way I was acting. Luckily the street was a side street before the main boulevard and it wasn't littered with people.

The Safari based Google Maps is a lot more resource intensive, especially on the iPhone 4 I guess, and for me is NOT a viable solution. As for Apple's Maps, I can not use it. It is useless to me, as I live in a big city where aside from walking, public transportation is THE main way to get anywhere. I do not own a car, since it isn't necessary and is more of an inconvenience than anything.

I know I don't speak for people who use maps while driving, but for city living, it is a fail in this respect.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I just put the Google Maps icon on my desktop (if they call it a desktop on the iPhone 5). Doug, I am not clear on why you can't use Google maps if you live in a big city?

Not what I said. I said that the desktop version is a horrible/slow experience and that it is likely tied to AT&T for the most part. Even using wi-fi, the interface is jumpy and skittish. And then I said that Apple maps were useless because it doesn't have public transportation routes. At least the desktop Google version still has it, even if it is almost unusable depending upon the connection.

Actually, the Google Maps web app gives you MORE features than were in the Google-based Maps application under iOS 5.

I'll equate using Google's web app to Sprint with their "unlimited data". You'd be lucky to get 1mbps download speeds with Sprint, so what's the point. True story.

C

chas_m

Sorry to hear about your connection, Doug. Both Apple and Google Maps (web app) work great here.

I've heard that AT&T can be kinda bad in some areas. Not sure where you are, but when I lived in Orlando I had AT&T and had no issues with speed. Nor in LA when I'm there. But I'm well aware that every carrier ha their dead zones -- my Fido carrier is great in cities but CRAP in rural areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The thing about AT&T that bugs me is that the service is half a@@'d. On one block I'll get a signal of -85 to -95db, and then on the very next block, I'll literally have a -45db signal (which is amazing). It's totally inconsistent, which given how big AT&T is here, is unacceptable to me. They need to add more towers and repeaters I suppose, because Verizon's service is a lot more reliable here in NYC by a long shot.

Oh, and in my apartment, I never get better than a -90db signal. Most people I've spoken to say that it's nearly impossible for them to have conversations on their cell phones in Manhattan. Ridiculous.

Doug

C

chas_m

Ah, New York. Yeah, it's a real mystery why the company hasn't solved its well-known issues there.

I know its not easy to change carriers on a whim, but I'd certainly look at jumping ship asap if you're going to stay in the NYC area!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is multifaceted though. We basically have 3 major carriers in the major metropolitan areas. AT&T, Verizon and Sprint. Sprint and T-Mobile currently offer "unlimited data", and are also a lot cheaper than AT&T/Verizon. However, Sprint may as well offer you free hotspot service as well as a shoe shine on every street corner for all the good their network does where bandwidth is concerned! Great, I've got unlimited data, but it's so slow that I get nothing out of it anyway. Oye.

T-Mobile is cheaper than Sprint, and offers unlimited as well as mobile hotspot for about $50 a month, but the problem with them is that their phones are pretty cruddy, and their LTE infrastructure is nowhere near being complete. Running an iPhone on their network is practically useless since the 1700mhz spectrum is in extremely limited areas, 3g drops calls like nobody's business.. so it's also futile for now.

ATT and Verizon are really all NYC has for somewhat decent service, and I can't really say that ATT is fulfilling that need. Indoors, if you live in the city, you'd be lucky to complete a phone call with ATT. And the funny thing is that their not even economically competitive with Verizon!

Verizon? Well, their service is generally very good here, but with their new share everything data tier plans.. are WAY expensive! 1 gig of data for over $100 a month.. are they smoking crack or something? Either way, it's lose/lose for consumers here. I've never seen things so bad within this industry in my entire life.

Doug

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have to agree with what Doug said. He lives in NYC which has its own special problems, but things here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area of Texas pretty much reflect what he said. Sprint - well, not much good that I can say about them or their service.

AT&T - great signal just about everywhere, but their customer service and tier structure leaves a lot to be desired. Verizon - great signal everywhere, very good customer service, but as Doug pointed out, their price structure is insane. I use Verizon for my iPad 3 and my home provider for TV cable and internet service. Expensive but given the other choices around here....

T-Mobile - great signal in DFW and very good customer service. But don't get too far away from the main city or the signal degrades and is lost. Prices are the least expensive of all the local carriers. Also, they just merged with Metro PCS (to be FCC approved).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.