A Good Replacement for Maps App?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Being that I will have my first iPhone tomorrow, what should one do in this situation with the Map App? Does Map App give turn by turn directions via Siri or not? If Apple is fixing the issue with the Map App then it should be as good as it should have been, right? I love Google Earth but this might not be what the purpose of Map App is supposed to be.

C

chas_m

Being that I will have my first iPhone tomorrow, what should one do in this situation with the Map App? Does Map App give turn by turn directions via Siri or not?

Yes it does. It may not behave perfectly in all parts of the world, but basically yes.

If Apple is fixing the issue with the Map App then it should be as good as it should have been, right?

Yes.

I love Google Earth but this might not be what the purpose of Map App is supposed to be.

Very different purposes. GE is great for what it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Non Intel based I-Mac
How does "Motion X" compare to Garmin On Demand?

KKKKFL

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thus far, I am impressed as anything with the new Maps app for my use. I only use it for driving and so far only for getting around DFW, but this thing has shown me so many new routes that google never showed it's incredible.

Am learning all sorts of shortcuts for getting around town that in my previous 5 years use of the google maps on my iPhone - never once showed me any of these alternate routes.

Installed the Motion X app a few days ago, but have yet to compare it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just for info Google have added Streetview into the iOS Google Maps webapp now

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Just for info Google have added Streetview into the iOS Google Maps webapp now

Took a bit to figure out how to use it, but it works. Outstanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Took a bit to figure out how to use it, but it works. Outstanding!

Yes, akin to the old built in app where you had to drop a pin first. On the web app you have to search for a location, then the streetview bar appears at the bottom.

Well, that's certainly the way I've gotten it to work

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this the update that was supposed to come for Map App or is this something different? Were they not supposed to update the Map App so that the problems some people encountered were taken care of? I would like to try a new Map App. I like Google Earth, and realize that is something totally different, but what is the Map App where you can view your house and( I think it is by Google) recently added the street view? Can I get that Map App and put it on my iPhone 5? Still learning a lot. I somehow deleted the iPhone 5 Manual, so if anybody has the address from Safari on the iPhone 5, I would appreciate it so I can save it as a URL again.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I use Waze when I want turn by turn navigation. Think of it as crowd sourced navigation - the more people that use it - the better the traffic conditions information is. Really good for seeing traffic issues, cops, road hazards...etc. Drains my battery incredibly quickly though.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the one I am looking for was completed by Google but I am not sure what it is. It is cool because you can go to street level and see where you lived as a child and how certain cities you are familiar with have changed. The street level is new. if anyone knows what the name of this is and if there is an App for it please let me know. Maybe it is Google Earth, I am not sure. I did not even know how to put an App on my iPhone until today. I was behind the times, but I am slowly catching up. the guy at the Apple Store who was helping me could not stop laughing at watching me type a text message. I keep hitting other keys, but I finally am dealing with my fears. :) This forum has been a big help to me and much nicer than what I have encountered at apple.com in their forum.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas-
So does this mean that there will not be "version updates" to install? I knew that the majority of updates were not obtained by connecting you iPhone to iTunes and updating that way, but they are coming from the "Cloud?" Is this right or do I need to check a certain way to see if there are any updates to install? There was one version update from Verizon that came through and told me how to install it, but I am wondering about updates from Apple for the iPhone 5?

Thanks
The Maps app on your iPhone will just "improve silently," since the map data comes from Apple's servers so improvements are entirely on their end. There is strong evidence that this is already under way on a massive scale:

Apple rapidly updating data, 3D graphics in iOS 6 Maps | iPodNN

C

chas_m

Apple will certainly, someday, issue a genuine update for the Maps program -- but they will not do so just to improve the Maps data. All that comes from their servers, so they just improve things on their end and the Maps app gets better data than it did the day before.

Should Apple issue an update for Maps, it will be handled exactly the same way current updates for other programs are handled: either you will be alerted by a badge on the App Store app, or it will be "rolled in" when an iOS system update (ie 6.1) comes out.

The bottom line is that Maps is already getting better without users having to do anything. This will continue, so the best thing to do is use it or at least check it from time to time to see if any problem areas where you are have been improved/corrected.

For me, driving a car in a North American city, it's working great right now. Your mileage, as they say, may vary. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The best one is "Motion X GPS Drive" currently 99 cents in the App store. The only extra you'll need for it is to download a voice for the turn by turn narration. It comes with a voice 2 months free.

This App beats MapQuest, Google Maps, Apple Maps, you name it. 5 star rating in the App store.

I've used MotionX on and off for some time now. When I used it a couple years ago for a trip halfway across the country, it drained my iPhone's battery faster than it could charge. Seriously. I hope they've addressed that. I also think the UI also waaaaaay over-engineered. It's cluttered and even confusing at times. But once you are on your way, the mapping and navigation is fine and that much I do like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Maps app on your iPhone will just "improve silently," since the map data comes from Apple's servers so improvements are entirely on their end. There is strong evidence that this is already under way on a massive scale:

Apple rapidly updating data, 3D graphics in iOS 6 Maps | iPodNN

That it is. I had found some problems with the 2 local hospitals being listed in several different places (they were off-site properties like physical therapy centers that they did own, but were labeled wrong). These are now "mostly" corrected.

Other than that, it's been splendid here. I never gave a hoot about the 3D and satellite imagery. I'm driving, not flying, though I suppose it could have its uses.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. Believe it or not, I am so new at this, I will not even know how to handle with a new system update, because I have never done this before. I have just done this on my MacBook Pro. so I am learning and the only way I learn is to use the iPhone and ask questions and read up on the iPhone.Some people just have a knack for this kind of stuff, but I am NOT one of them. This is all new to me just like a baby, but I like to learn so I am loving it. I ruined 2 new MBPs when I was younger because I did not take classes, ask about the machine, etc. A lot does come naturally, but for me I think less than for a lot of other people.
Apple will certainly, someday, issue a genuine update for the Maps program -- but they will not do so just to improve the Maps data. All that comes from their servers, so they just improve things on their end and the Maps app gets better data than it did the day before.

Should Apple issue an update for Maps, it will be handled exactly the same way current updates for other programs are handled: either you will be alerted by a badge on the App Store app, or it will be "rolled in" when an iOS system update (ie 6.1) comes out.

The bottom line is that Maps is already getting better without users having to do anything. This will continue, so the best thing to do is use it or at least check it from time to time to see if any problem areas where you are have been improved/corrected.

For me, driving a car in a North American city, it's working great right now. Your mileage, as they say, may vary. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
My next phone will have GOOGLE maps or I won't buy it. APPLE shot themselves in the foot on this. And OVER what? I want and NEED accurate and complete maps, not silly features that don't add anything to my needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My next phone will have GOOGLE maps or I won't buy it. APPLE shot themselves in the foot on this. And OVER what? I want and NEED accurate and complete maps, not silly features that don't add anything to my needs.

There you go m.google.co.uk/maps
Gives you features you had prior to iOS6 and the dedicated app version will be available before the end of the year.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey-
Do you know if there is a good current Google App that is like or is the new Google Earth (with the new street view) that allows one to install the App on their iPhone 5? I went to use the Map App today (being a new iPhone user) and it did not even take me to a very common out-in-the-open address. I was surprised. Not sure if Google Earth with street view has turn by turn directions, but it is a cool App to use on my MBP. If anybody knows if Google Earth with street view works well on the iPhone 5, pls let me know. also, another turn-by-turn Map App while they update the current one on the iPhone, would be appreciated. I see all the suggestions in this thread, but I have no idea where to start.
There you go Google Maps for mobile
Gives you features you had prior to iOS6 and the dedicated app version will be available before the end of the year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
There you go m.google.co.uk/maps

I guess it might depend on your location as well as carrier, but the web based Map solution in my own personal experience is absolutely horrendous! You should have seen me in the street the other day, as if I was Sean Penn, and someone killed my daughter, the way I was carrying on about "how infuriating this experience is"! My wife must have been mortified by the way I was acting. Luckily the street was a side street before the main boulevard and it wasn't littered with people.

The Safari based Google Maps is a lot more resource intensive, especially on the iPhone 4 I guess, and for me is NOT a viable solution. As for Apple's Maps, I can not use it. It is useless to me, as I live in a big city where aside from walking, public transportation is THE main way to get anywhere. I do not own a car, since it isn't necessary and is more of an inconvenience than anything.

I know I don't speak for people who use maps while driving, but for city living, it is a fail in this respect.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.