3G iPhone??

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this more and more since my phone now is taking a dump everywhere... if the 26th comes around and the dont make any announcements besides the sdk I think I might just buy one instead of waiting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120Gb hard drive, 2Gb ram
Well there have also been rumors that the prices of the current iphones (8gig and 16gig) are going to drop by 100 dollars sometime soon (according to gizmodo and engadget). I am waiting until my fiance's contract is up (end of august) so I hope by then there will be either a price drop, or some news of Iphone V2

Reaction score
wow august u have alot of time!!! i only have till march 17th i hope they have a price drop by then

Reaction score
my contract is up now- I'm on a month to month.

Do you think there's any way Apple could just release the 3G iphone without us knowing about the FCC thing? Like maybe they pass the 3G board to the FCC or maybe they passed the 3G board to the FCC last year with the original iphone? They are Apple, anything could happen with them... right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow august u have alot of time!!! i only have till march 17th i hope they have a price drop by then

Yep, I guess that is about 6 months. Something better happen by then! lol

Reaction score
You could still be waiting for another 1-2 months after that, at least for 3G... how long would it take the FCC to pass the 3G stuff for the iphone from the time they submit it??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there is no news of a 3g by august I will just get one then. Edge isn't that bad. six months is long enough to wait I think...

Reaction score
All of these tech analysts are saying that the 3G iPhone will be available by June/July but how could it be available then if Apple hasn't even passed it along to the FCC yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

June or July is the right timing.As people with current iphones if they are not satisfied are looking at other options(From a few business groups i deal with).Im not meaning everyone but the people i have encounters with are kind of fed up with the pro-longing of simple functions like A2DP and other minor upgrades that keep getting mysteriously looked over....Me personally, i have a 8GB ,so i can wait.There is no rush to go get a 16GB when the standard will be at least 16GB or i could be wrong. Standard could be 32GB and the highend could be 160GB....who knows??!!.....Either way ill wait

Reaction score
June or July is the right timing.As people with current iphones if they are not satisfied are looking at other options(From a few business groups i deal with).Im not meaning everyone but the people i have encounters with are kind of fed up with the pro-longing of simple functions like A2DP and other minor upgrades that keep getting mysteriously looked over....Me personally, i have a 8GB ,so i can wait.There is no rush to go get a 16GB when the standard will be at least 16GB or i could be wrong. Standard could be 32GB and the highend could be 160GB....who knows??!!.....Either way ill wait

That still doesn't answer my question. If Apple hasn't passed it along to the FCC yet there's no way it could come out in June or July...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Remember when the current iPhone was announced so that they could get FCC approval. Anyone remember how long between the announcement and the release? I am sure it was about 6 months but I may well be wrong. Anyway I ordered my new 16Gb iPhone yesterday after waiting since about november for the 3G announcement and giving up! My Nokia 9500 is getting a bit long in the tooth so I had to forgo the chance of 3G!

Oh well, I am sure the 3G one will be out by the end of the contract !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
So why are these "tech analysts" predicting june/july 3G iPhones??

No idea, I'm not even pretending to know I'm just pointing out that the release date of the original iPhone to the public etc was several months after the FCC compliance thing. I was clear that I couldn't remember how many months but I THINK it was about 6 (I don't think it was more, it may have been a bit less). Anyway I wanted the 3G phone myself but unfortunately my current contract is out and I cant wait however long it will be for the 3G version so I bought the edge version instead.

No doubt now I have bought it they will immediately release details of the 3G version, although I do have 14 days to send it back if they do!

Reaction score
I just think it's interesting. Steve Jobbs announced the iPhone in Jan. and it was released in July. I hope it comes out soon. I need a new phone and don't want to wait anymore!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I'm in the same boat as you. My verizon contract is up (im on a month-to-month), half the buttons on the front of my phone don't work and my ipod just died yesterday. I'm trying to hold out for the 3G iPhone as well...

Anyone have any idea??
My contract is up in May, but I don't know if I want to wait to pay for the high price that will come with it.

Reaction score
My contract is up in May, but I don't know if I want to wait to pay for the high price that will come with it.

What high price? Either way, you'd be paying a high price- 5-600 for the 3G or an early termination fee to get an iphone when they discount it the $100 or whatever.

Reaction score
From this site:
"According to the FCC website, it would appear that Apple filed their documents for the iPhone on March 9th, but were able to keep them suppressed until about May 17th — about 43 days before the actual US launch on June 29th."

Assuming this is correct, it's conceivable those analysts could still be correct. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.