2020 27” Imac

Reaction score
I just ordered my 3rd IMAC from
Apple, hoping that the third time is a charm, the first two arrived and would not turn on, tried different outlets, holding in/off button anywhere from 5-30 seconds, took them both to my local Apple store. and their tech people confirmed they would not turn on. This all started back in October with my first order, wait 3 weeks for delivery, open Imac and returned to Apple store same day, wait a week for the credit to appear on my credit card. ordered the 2nd one, wait 3 weeks and do the same procedure over again. This last time I asked if they would/could send it to my local store and have them do the initial start up BUT they said they couldn’t do that.
Any suggestions on why this is happening, just my bad luck or does Apple have some QC issues!!
Any steps I should do before turning it on?
Should I check that the Ram memory cards are fully seated properly, don’t know if that would cause the machine not to turn on
Thanks for any suggestions
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like you had a stroke of bad luck. Two DOA iMacs in a row is unheard of.

I'm on my third iMac (different model years) and fortunate that each one arrived in pristine condition and booted up immediately.

I don't know what to tell you except to hang in there and let Apple take care of it.

(Loose memory modules are not going to prevent an iMac from turning on.)

By the way, my next iMac will be one with an M1 (or another Apple silicon chip). I'm not about to invest in another Intel iMac which will be obsolete soon enough.

krs

Reaction score
A row of brand new Macs not turning on - seems to happen far too often

OP
B
Reaction score
Looks like you had a stroke of bad luck. Two DOA iMacs in a row is unheard of.

I'm on my third iMac (different model years) and fortunate that each one arrived in pristine condition and booted up immediately.

I don't know what to tell you except to hang in there and let Apple take care of it.

(Loose memory modules are not going to prevent an iMac from turning on.)

By the way, my next iMac will be one with an M1 (or another Apple silicon chip). I'm not about to invest in another Intel iMac which will be obsolete soon enough.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.