• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

12.9" iPad Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The latest launch date rumor I've seen for an iPad Pro is at least mid-2015…and maybe later. But who knows with rumors.;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I'm doubting this one a lot. For one thing, nobody so far has been able to give me a good reason why Apple would make something that big. It's not like with smartphones where larger-sized displays have been popular. Nobody buys non-iPads (seriously, Android tablet sales are TINY), and that means even fewer nobodies buy >nine-inch tablets.

Second, battery life would be terrible. Weight would be terrible.

Third, broke people who can't afford a smartphone + tablet just buy a phablet. This larger iPad doesn't solve any problems I can think of. Possibly some enterprise-level people might want something like this for embedded solutions (think on-table touchscreen menus at airport eateries), but consumers are simply not clamoring for larger iPads.

Finally, every single source I can find for this story comes from DigiTimes originally -- and they have, to put it mildly, a spotty track record on this. It's not impossible, but I very much doubt it will be a consumer-oriented product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
OK crew members thanx for the FB.
With doubt/no confirmation on the new iPad Pro - its size and possible release - and my requirement for a tablet sized device, perhaps there should be a new thread?

iPad V's Other Tablets (incl the Surface) - probably in >iPad hardware and devices.

Or do you know a thread that compares these devices?

I have read a few (distant) comparison threads but can't find one dedicated to this. Hopefully there will be feedback from users/owners on all sides.

Wadayarekon?

Blaz

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or do you know a thread that compares these devices?

A thread that compared Apple tablets with a MS Surface Pro would likely lead to a flaming thread (if you know what I mean). You can find reviews for the Surface Pro 3 in PC World, PC Mag, and other magazines. Likewise you can find lots of reviews on the various iPad models Apple sells.

I've played around with a Surface Pro 3 at Staples (US chain store) and rather liked it. However, when I began to price one out with enough memory, speed, keyboard, and stand/case, it was actually more expensive than an iPad Air 2.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A thread that compared Apple tablets with a MS Surface Pro would likely lead to a flaming thread (if you know what I mean). You can find reviews for the Surface Pro 3 in PC World, PC Mag, and other magazines. Likewise you can find lots of reviews on the various iPad models Apple sells.

I've played around with a Surface Pro 3 at Staples (US chain store) and rather liked it. However, when I began to price one out with enough memory, speed, keyboard, and stand/case, it was actually more expensive than an iPad Air 2.

While that is true, it has a full blown operating system.
The SP3 is not a competitor of the iPad, it competes directly with the MacBook Air.
And the price is the same or less than I paid for my current MacBook Air.

I have been seriously considering the Surface Pro 3 exactly for what it is - a device that I can carry around as a tablet onto job sites having a touch screen, true multi-tasking capabilities, ability to install whatever apps I want, a real email app, ability to share docs on the lan without all the hassle that is iOS, I can go on...

imho, MS has now taken the lead here.
Apple's users have been asking for a touch screen in a MacBook for years. Where is it?

C

chas_m

Mac users have not been asking for a touchscreen. Because it's a dumb idea.

Sales of the Surface, I think, make the case better than anything I could come up with. Sales of touchscreen Android or Windows tablet hybrids pale in comparison to the iPad. Clearly there's not much of a market for these devices.

If you need a notebook, get a notebook. If you need a tablet, get an iPad (and maybe a keyboard case, which I've found quite useful). The market has spoken fairly clearly on this.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've seen requests for a touch screen MacBook since at least 2007.
Not much of a market does not imply no market. Not everything has to be mass market.
The market had spoken pretty clearly that there was no market for tablets prior to the iPad also.
Just because something does not exist at a certain point in time, that does not equate there being no market for it.
Else, none of us would have refrigerators, TVs, music playing devices, air conditioners, etc. sitting in our homes.

I, personally want a fully functional operating system in a touch screen tablet - not Android, not iOS. Windows, Linux or OS X. One I can take onto a construction site and carry with one hand while writing, making annotations and notes with the other - this certainly is not convenient with a notebook - and seamlessly moving between applications and having more than 1 app on screen at a time.

Sales of the Surface, I think reflect it's current price point and the low end hardware sitting in it, than anything else.
If it had a real video card in it, I would already have one sitting here.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Well it does sound like you're part of the very niche market that the Surface is aimed at, so I hope it works out for you. Pity the only OS option to run on it is Windows ... :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the 2nd reason I haven't parted with my cash yet.

Although, if it had a real video card, I would have already bit the bullet.
It's Windows and I can't game on it is a real downer.

C

chas_m

You shouldn't have time to game on construction sites, young man!! (wags finger)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you know, I would like to use it sitting in my recliner at home also... :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess we'll have to wait and see if MS sticks with the Surface Pro line. There has been some rumors about a new SP when Windows 10 goes live some time this year.

Right now, I'm debating on getting an iPhone 6+. What irks me a bit is that it does not come in a 32 GB configuration - which is what I want. But I guess most folks want and need more space than I do. :p

C

chas_m

I think Apple recent reason on this is sound. There are basically two types of iPhone buyers:

a. People who want to store every darn piece of media they've ever bought or stolen in their pocket.

b. People who primarily use the iPhone for a few key apps and not as an entertainment center.

For (b), you get the 16GB model. For (a), you get for just $100 more, four times as much storage (or for $200 over the base model, eight times as much storage).

The 64GB version is *exactly* the same price as what the 32GB version would have cost ($100 more than the 16GB version). Looking at it that way, BONUS!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
12.9" is pretty large.. Like WOW for a tablet. I am sure they will sell. But its not for me. I have a iPad Mini and it does not get used much as all unless I am traveling. I have tried to use it for youtube video create and blogging. But turns out the apps are half assed written and often converts to the language of the country I am visiting without me being able to change it. Which sucks. Sorry can't read mandarin.. But this is Googles ignorance and not Apples. SO I end up using my wife's and mine 13"MBA, which runs everything I need. Ya know its looking like my next machine may actually be a MBP, just wished they made a Quad core 13" model..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MBP - 13" i5 3210M, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD, 500GB storage (in place of optical).
for anyone that makes music with Logic Pro X, a 13 touch screen to act as a second controller would be super!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I stared at my MBA the other night. We already heard they will be making a 12" model and doing away with the 13" and 11" models. But I was looking at the ports and this is what I came up with.

Keep magsafe and headphone on the left, remove the USB 3.
Then keep the Thunderbolt and remove the USB and Card Reader, add USB C to this side.
Last include a USB C to USB 3.0 connector like that have did in the past with TB to DVI.

This pushes the new tech out to you, but still insures you can use your current apple devices.

As far as loosing the SDXC card reader. Yea it sucks, but still can use the cables that come with our cameras, it just slower..

As far as the adapter, I have the Lightning to USB adapter for my iPod. Would not take R&D 30mins to make a USB C to USB 3.0 adapter in Solidworks and have the blueprints approved in one day.

ExodistPhoto - 20150118 - 0694.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The SD reader is great... if you have Sony SD cards. My dedicated camera doesn't so for me it's wasted space. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The SD reader is great... if you have Sony SD cards. My dedicated camera doesn't so for me it's wasted space. :(

Pretty much all cameras have SD cards these days.. But since Apple keeps pushing how great their iPhone camera is. I can see them ditching the SD card reader.

But lets look at this. The MBA is a entry level laptop option. Those who have will use this for Photos are likely iPhone users or users of a small point and shoot. Most point and shoot users only have one card and thats the one thats in their camera. Plus all cameras even my DSLRs come with USB cables for transferring files.. So does the MBA need a SD card reader, really no. My wife would not be happy, but hey. She will just get out the usb cable in her bag and not worry about it.

Then there are users like myself (semi pro) who have 7 or 8 or more professional SD cards. While I have used her MBA on vacation for photos. I would not use this all the time. Thus I need something more like the MBP.

But then again, there are the Pro Pros like Scott Kelby who shoot on a Canon 1DX, those cameras even down to the Canon 6D use mainly CF cards. While they also have SD cards in them. Some feel they are only back up. I myself feel CF is a thing of the past, but thats a whole other debate. But anyway those users will have their own USB Compact Flash card reader which often have a SD slot on those anyway..

So does any of the MacBooks need a SD card reader? No not really at all. Its nice to have, but really if it didn't I would just buy a quality SD card reader and move on myself.

Besides, wireless is getting more popular.. Heck I would like to see more quality Bluetooth devices that work as great as my Apple Keyboard and Mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.