• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

12.9" iPad Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before I buy a tablet that large (doesn't matter if it's from Apple or another manufacturer) I'll spend my money on a real computer: A MacBook Air or 13.3" MacBook Pro. An iPad Pro that large with retina screen is going to come in close to $1K depending on flash memory and if it's cellular capable.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It will be interesting to see if a 12.9" "iPad Pro" will just be a super-sized iPad…or something different. Also of course it will be interesting to see the price. A 12.9" iPad Pro's price has either got to be a lot higher than the $499 entry level price for current iPads…or the price of current iPads needs to drop a bunch!:)

I'm thinking that with the Microsoft Surface 3 and the Samsung Galaxy TabPro & NotePro (all with 12"+ display's)…Apple feels they need to have something larger.

Hopefully it's not just an "up-sized" iPad.;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For the fun of it, I got on the Microsoft Store site and priced out a Surface Pro 3 with a 256 GB SSD and added a keyboard and case. If I remember correctly, it came out to around $1300. There is no way I would ever pay that much for anything Microsoft even if it is a convertible. :p

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't really researched the Surface Pro 3…but I'm assuming that all the expensive electronics are in the display part of the unit. And the keyboard that attaches to it…is really just a keyboard & trackpad & cover.

But if this is the case…$1300 for a 12" Microsoft tablet is pretty freakin' expensive. If the "pricing gap" of Apple hardware vs. other hardware was maintained…geez…what's a 12.9" iPad Pro going to cost from Apple.

Unless…this is finally going to be a product that Apple pricing vs. competitor pricing is on a even footing. None of the Mac vs. PC pricing.:)

- Nick

p.s. Actually (due to writing this post)…I did research (for my own knowledge) that the Surface Pro 3 keyboard/trackpad/cover is just that…no real additional electronics.:)

C

chas_m

I'm very skeptical of this story. Apple tends to offer products that solve problems, and I'm not seeing where you need a heavier 13" iPad to carry around. The iPad mini is said to outsell the iPad Air at least 2:1.

EDIT: It occurs to me that there is a niche that could be served by a *mounted* iPad of that size, so I can't rule out entirely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
13" iPad -vs- 13" MacBook Air.... Hmmm... I'll keep with the MBA and wait until they come with 16GB memory before I upgrade again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll keep with the MBA and wait until they come with 16GB memory before I upgrade again.

Same here. I'd love an 11" MBA but with the way they're currently configured, there's not enough bang for the buck, at least in my opinion. Although Macworld Mag rates them right up there with the 13" model.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the price of a 12.9" iPad Pro is very similar to a 13" MacBook Air or 13" MacBook Pro…HELLO…give me a full fledged notebook/laptop computer!:) Too much competition between these two products.

On the other hand…one way to boost 12.9" iPad Pro sales…would be to stop selling all notebook/laptop computers (I don't think that this is going to happen anytime soon). Then there wouldn't be any competition for products with an approx. 13" display.

This is why I say if a 12.9" iPad Pro is going to cost me over $1000…it better do a lot more than what current iPads can do!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Just a thought. Could this be a back door entry into a touch screen laptop? Add a magnetically attachable keyboard, touchpad, cover to it and you have .... an iPad Surface! One of the problems with the iPad is the lack of a comfortably attachable keyboard. Everything out there is bulky. Add the fact apple does not have a laptop with a touch screen. While I don't like touch screen laptops a lot of people do.

Would an iPad style laptop with a larger screen appeal to the business community? Also in education, iPads have proven to be great for elementary level but not as useful moving up to high school due to a lack of a larger keyboard.

Of course they would have to devise a way to support the iPad while using the keyboard. Microsoft has the kick stand but it has, what I consider to be, a huge drawback which is lap support. As I sit here typing on my 13" MB AIr which is seated on my lap, I don't have to worry about balancing the kick stand or a flimsy keyboard with limited palm rests.

It will be interesting to see if they go for the larger size. If that is all they do I don't see the purpose for it. I love my iPad mini and I love my MB Air so I don't see me in the market for a larger iPad. I sold my iPad 4 because it was too big for what I use it for.

Lisa

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a thought. Could this be a back door entry into a touch screen laptop? Add a magnetically attachable keyboard, touchpad, cover to it and you have .... an iPad Surface!

Apple is usually not a "me too" sort of company. So if Apple did this...they would be copying a product that Microsoft (and I think Samsung) already have. But you never know in a post Steve Jobs Apple.;)

I think that we need to keep an eye on what ports are included in an iPad Pro...and that may give us a clue if a product like this will be launched (or will be significantly different than current 9.7" iPad's).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
An Apple 'Surface' will be far too expensive - just as the Microsoft one is.

On the other hand, I would expect the Apple one would be far more desirable and more functional.

However, I don't think they really need a larger iPad. A large iPhone would be a much better idea, even if that proves to be too expensive as well :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Apple just announced a big press event for September 9. The rumor mill has it that we'll see a new iPhone with a larger screen and possibly two different sized screens for the new iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well, Apple just announced a big press event for September 9. The rumor mill has it that we'll see a new iPhone with a larger screen and possibly two different sized screens for the new iPhone.

Do you mean iPad not iPhone - right? We can already guess there will be to iPhone screen sizes. What is up for questions is the release date on the larger iPhone - something about battery issues or screen composition....not sure.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They didn't mention anything at all about a new iPad or larger sized iPad. The only thing that came out was the two supposedly new iPhone sized screens for the 6. The iPad Mini has been outselling all the other iPads. It just doesn't make sense for Apple to try to compete with the MS Surface Pro or any of the other large screen tablets.

I played around with the Surface Pro 3 at Staples the other day - one that had the fancy looking blue keyboard hooked to it. I was not impressed - especially with the price! :(

C

chas_m

While nobody knows for sure what we'll get on September 9, Apple **tends** to focus its events on one "area" at a time. So I could see the event being about iPhones and maybe some new software that is a huge selling point for the new iPhones, but not an event where we have iPhones, iPads, Yosemite, iOS 8 and by the way here's a new Apple TV. That's just not Apple's usual style.

Reaction score
I haven't really researched the Surface Pro 3…but I'm assuming that all the expensive electronics are in the display part of the unit. And the keyboard that attaches to it…is really just a keyboard & trackpad & cover.

But if this is the case…$1300 for a 12" Microsoft tablet is pretty freakin' expensive. If the "pricing gap" of Apple hardware vs. other hardware was maintained…geez…what's a 12.9" iPad Pro going to cost from Apple.

Unless…this is finally going to be a product that Apple pricing vs. competitor pricing is on a even footing. None of the Mac vs. PC pricing.:)

- Nick

p.s. Actually (due to writing this post)…I did research (for my own knowledge) that the Surface Pro 3 keyboard/trackpad/cover is just that…no real additional electronics.:)

Is it at all really a Apple vs Microsoft thing tho?

As far as I thought, the Surface isnt even relevant. I could be wrong tho. I just didnt think people actually bought Microsoft products anymore.

It's Apple vs Android. That is the real heavyweight battle.

C

chas_m

This whole "bend" nonsense is about as accurately reported as "antennagate," and I predict will ultimately end up with the media wearing egg on its face again. This is an effort to manipulate the stock and/or dampen sales enthusiasm for the iPhone 6 Plus, and absolutely nothing more than that. At best -- giving as much credibility as possible to this non-story -- Apple may have a batch of iPhone 6 units that are defectively assembled.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/09/25/suggests.media.attention.overblown/

http://www.electronista.com/article....owners.with.bent.iphones.visit.apple.stores/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/09/25/apple.copes.with.two.simultaneous.crises/

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/24/iphon...t-passes-all-squaretrades-breakability-tests/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" late 2011 / iP 6s / iPP 9.7"
New iPad??

Has anyone heard of an update on the "New iPad Pro" rumours?

During Q3 & 4 of last year there were rumours/suggestions that in early 2015 there would be an update/new model iPad.

Just curious, I'm lugging my MBP 15" everywhere at present. I want to leave the MBP home (reducing bag weight) and get a tablet to travel with - just emails and some "interweb" browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.