• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Romney to kill Big Bird

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
In this day and age with the preponderance of cable, satellite and internet access, not to mention the $16 BILLION we're in debt, why in the world would the government need to subsidize ANY media?
mathews_confused.gif

Should have been done a LONG time ago, IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
PBS will never go away. It's one of the most trusted broadcasting stations, and also holds the most stations programming under its belt(unless that changed recently). I don't do a lot of TV watching, but I respect PBS a lot more than any other broadcasting stations. Unlike most broadcasting stations, PBS runs groups that are non-profit based. PBS is known for their educational and news/documentary shows, some of which I actually enjoy watching. NOVA is an awesome show!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Apparently Sesame Street is a hotbed of liberal propaganda!

The experts say you need to get to voters early . . . .. ;)
Why else do you think Cookie Monster is Blue (Democratic Colors)? :pO:);)

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In this day and age with the preponderance of cable, satellite and internet access, not to mention the $16 BILLION we're in debt, why in the world would the government need to subsidize ANY media?
mathews_confused.gif

Should have been done a LONG time ago, IMO.

If only it were $16 billion, cancelling a few jets would deal with that, or scrapping an aircraft carrier.

The US debt is $16 trillion, so a saving of $444m will go towards that but not much (0.00002775%)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Meh... things change and everyone (even Big Bird) dies eventually. PBS, like all other institution, is not "too big to fail".

Reaction score
If only it were $16 billion, cancelling a few jets would deal with that, or scrapping an aircraft carrier.

The US debt is $16 trillion, so a saving of $444m will go towards that but not much (0.00002775%)

Trillion. THAT'S what I meant!
mathews_doh.gif

Thanks for brining clarity to my otherwise flawless ignorance!
mathews_grin.gif

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the last episode will be brought to you by the letters BB and the number 16000000000000

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PBS, like all other institution, is not "too big to fail

Right on. PBS over the years has lost its neutrality, objectivity, and has aligned itself politically. And since it's funded in part by tax payer dollars, it no longer serves the purpose for which it was intended. (My opinion.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Meh... things change and everyone (even Big Bird) dies eventually. PBS, like all other institution, is not "too big to fail".

I'm not sure I like a future where children's programming is left strictly under the guidance of corporate self-interests. Of course PBS is broader than that and while I haven't watched anything on it in eons, I can appreciate that others do and it has value for the purpose they serve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Right on. PBS over the years has lost its neutrality, objectivity, and has aligned itself politically. And since it's funded in part by tax payer dollars, it no longer serves the purpose for which it was intended. (My opinion.)

I disagree. The greater majority of PBS funding comes from public and private donations. Only a small percentage come from the government from "tax payers". If being funded by tax payer dollars causes something to no longer serve a "purpose," I could create a never-ending list of things that no longer serve the original purpose. There are FAR worse things that Romney could've mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I see nothing wrong with PBS. I grew up watching PBS, and I sure hope its still around for my kids to watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm not sure I like a future where children's programming is left strictly under the guidance of corporate self-interests..

No offense, but children's programming is, or should be, strictly under the guidance of the children's parent or guardians. If it's not, then the kid has bigger problems that can't be addressed by having or not having Big Bird available on TV. Anyhow, if I want to be really cynical... I might suggest that the government itself is under the strict guidance of corporations and unions anyhow, so it really doesn't matter too much who "owns PBS" so to speak. ;)

Reaction score
Not trying to make a party political point, but Romney wants to axe PBS, and that means Big Bird will sonn be homeless and join the ranks of those 40% that rely on government handouts
Good.

I, the tax payer, shouldn't be involved in funding TV anyway.

If I, the private citizen, value a particular TV station, I will support it through donations, or it can support itself through advertising or other means.

Most of the federal government and its budget should be WHACKED and WHACKED hard.

I no longer have TV at home - but I do like PBS, and if I had a TV, I would watch PBS (if I had time). I find it one of a very few things on that is worth watching. But I still don't think the government has any business funding it.

I agree. So, the govt should give ME $444m - since its such a small amount it will not matter much anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 in 2.7GHz intel Core i5 16 gb a 4S iPhone 16gb and 2 iPod Touch
No offense, but children's programming is, or should be, strictly under the guidance of the children's parent or guardians. If it's not, then the kid has bigger problems that can't be addressed by having or not having Big Bird available on TV. Anyhow, if I want to be really cynical... I might suggest that the government itself is under the strict guidance of corporations and unions anyhow, so it really doesn't matter too much who "owns PBS" so to speak. ;)

Oh how that is so TRUE!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Every time this issue is discussed it is addressed in the popular media as trying to kill (nsert name of popular Sesame Street Character). The argument generally is leave it alone because it is such a small portion of the US budget. I suspect that given licensing deals brokered by Children's Television Workshop Big Bird would survive quite well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 in 2.7GHz intel Core i5 16 gb a 4S iPhone 16gb and 2 iPod Touch
Hey we ALL know....BIG Bird will survive anything!.....Just sayin...;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

*ahem* Well if you take away commercial-free programming and are left with shows that are pushing an agenda (I read recently about some kids program that got all preachy about music piracy as part of its "lesson") and aren't doing much to help learn, then what can parents turn to? Well more likely than not, they'll just turn to whatever garbage it available, but come on now, who's the victim here? Won't someone think of the children???? (I just had to squeeze that in somehow).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I disagree. The greater majority of PBS funding comes from public and private donations. Only a small percentage come from the government from "tax payers". If being funded by tax payer dollars causes something to no longer serve a "purpose," I could create a never-ending list of things that no longer serve the original purpose. There are FAR worse things that Romney could've mentioned.

Then PBS should have no problem if the government were to pull federal funding then. Big Bird won't be going anywhere.

C

chas_m

I have no idea what portion of PBS' budget comes from government funding, but I *do* know FOR A FACT that the $444m figure cited works out to an average of $1.50 from each citizen.

You know what? I think that's a FANTASTIC investment and I fully support it. Much better use of my tax money than a LOT of other things the government funds.

What do we get for our buck and a half? Lots of kids learn to read and count watching "Sesame Street." The mornings and afternoons are filled with educational shows for use in classrooms.

Primetime PBS is a feast for the senses with shows like "Nova," "Nature," "Austin City Limits," "Masterpiece Theatre," "Mystery," and Ken Burns' documentaries such as "The Civil War," "Baseball" and "Jazz."

Sounds like a pretty good deal for $1.50 or less than half a cent per day.

But I think you guys are too focused on the small picture. I don't really care what you think of PBS anymore than I care about your opinion of the National Park System. They are both vital and necessary services and will most likely continue to be funded in part with government money, since they are both Very Good Things that contribute more to the US than any individual short-sighted grinches. Both PBS and the NPS take so little out of your taxes compared to unfunded wars, tax cuts for the rich and a defense budget that requires special branches of mathematics just to explain it (and let's not even get into entitlements) that it's like complaining that there's a small cloud ruining your almost perfectly clear sky.

You are missing the Big Picture here, and that is this: a Presidential candidate, when pressed for an idea on how to reduce the $14T deficit, couldn't come up with anything more concrete than cutting PBS funding. After weeks of prep, he couldn't come up with anything that would solve the problem more effectively than cutting something educational (and, budget-wise, utterly trivial).

THAT, right there, is THE PROBLEM. Hopefully you get it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.