• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

WWDC 2022 - What Did I Miss?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have been watching the WWDC event. I almost missed it because there doesn't seem be as much discussion pre-event as there has been in the past.

I picked up with the very end of IOS 16 at the discussion of CarPlay. So what did I miss?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I need to catch up too. I wasn’t even thinking about wwdc at all, how things have changed over the years.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought about it a few days ago and forgot about it this morning. I usually keep up with the rumors and expected announcements but didn't this year.

My 2015 iMac won't run the new macOS Ventura announced, but I expected that. Quite a few Intel Macs are excluded from running the new OS.

Here's the list of hardware required for the new OS versions that were announced (Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Watch). What hardware you need to run iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, macOS Ventura, and tvOS 16 | AppleInsider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy, a new OS -already-???? Man I’ve barely taken the shrink wrap off of Monterey yet. For the pro world (especially audio) this is way too fast. apple needs to seriously slow the new OSs down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
I hear you. I've been thinking about getting around to upgrading from Mojave to Monterey, and here they go dumping another new OS on me. Beginning to feel like an old fogey....

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get used to it gents. Apple has been releasing a new OS once a year for the last several years. Sometimes the differences are significant (i.e. the decision to drop support for 32-bit software), other revisions have been more along the lines of a serio=es of minor changes.

Perhaps Nick can tell us when Apple started this pattern of annual OS releases. I'm starting to suspect Nick is some sort of Cyborg that goes through nightly downloads of Mac info.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I've had a similar list bookmarked at one point in the distant past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh believe me, many of us pros are keenly and quite painfully aware of this insane release schedule. If I could update at that pace I would. None of my crucial software and extensive outboard gear can possibly keep pace with these releases so I am often several releases back. And woe unto those who for whatever reason has to get a new machine that is locked to only the very latest OS. I’m still unable to use my new M1max machine for full production yet, even though avid and universal audio moved faster than they usually do. It’s still, just not stable enough for pro work. Many audio pros are going PC now. Never thought I’d see that.

Reaction score
OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy.

I picked things up right where they were finishing the description of CarPlay's new integration with the car's displays. With my luck these features will require a newer vehicle than we have.

I glanced through the summary that you linked to and will be looking it in more detail later. I noticed that Maps has been updated to include multi-step trip routing (finally). I've been waiting for that for a while although we haven't been traveling much given gas costs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For me the biggest announcements were:

* A new macOS.
* New M2 based MacBook Air
* New M2 based MacBook Pro

Was disappointed that a new Mac Mini wasn't announced (as some rumors were suggesting). WWDC is usually an OS/software based event only for Apple Developers...thus any hardware announcements are a BONUS!:)

Guess I'll have to wait till the Fall for the next possible new Mac Mini announcement. Uggh!;)

Nick

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 2015 iMac won't handle the new OS. TBH I was surprised that it runs Monterey (and reasonably well).

I would probably go for the MacBook Pro if I were buying right now simply due to my propensity to keep Macs running well past the point that most people have retired them. SWMBO will have none of that until the iMac fails or performs far worse than it does now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My new(ok 2019) rav4 is the first vehicle I’ve had CarPlay on and I use it all the time. I’m assuming the features would likely be beyond what my car has available. Do they upgrade your car display stuff? I just use what I use.

with the new apple silicon things are so insanely fast I admit that I’ve somewhat tuned out of the ‘new cpu is 20 times faster’ thing. I’m getting old(er)

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My new(ok 2019) rav4 is the first vehicle I’ve had CarPlay on and I use it all the time. I’m assuming the features would likely be beyond what my car has available. Do they upgrade your car display stuff? I just use what I use.
I started watching the live feed at the very end of that part of the presentation. I need to watch that first 30 or so9 minutes. I'm betting though that some of the new CarPlay features will only be available in new vehicles but that's what I'm not sure about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I started watching the live feed at the very end of that part of the presentation. I need to watch that first 30 or so9 minutes.

Maybe this would do for you...:
Everything Apple Announced at the WWDC 2022 Keynote in 13 Minutes
Tuesday June 7, 2022 8:44 am PDT by Juli Clover

A Readers Digest condensed style version... ;)

- Patrick
=======

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Patrick. I'll check that out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My new(ok 2019) rav4 is the first vehicle I’ve had CarPlay on and I use it all the time. I’m assuming the features would likely be beyond what my car has available. Do they upgrade your car display stuff?
Now you need to purchase a newer auto...so you can get the latest & greatest from Apple CarPlay!;)

Darn this is getting expensive (need newer cars & newer computers to keep up)! Ha Ha

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SWMBO will have none of that until the iMac fails or performs far worse than it does now.
Ohh yes...SWMBO will not allow it!;)

But (MAYBE)...your 2015 iMac could have some sort of "accident"!💣:poop:

Ha ha!

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohh yes...SWMBO will not allow it!;)

But (MAYBE)...your 2015 iMac could have some sort of "accident"!💣:poop:

Ha ha!
I seem to have read somewhere that water and internal computer components don't mix well. I'm sure there's potential there.

OTOH SWMBO is rather smart and very likely to be suspicious of "accidents".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.