• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why do people hate me for using a Mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why is a Mac far superior than a PC for those? Windows and OS X both run photos shop. Both have amazing music production programs. I run Logic Studio 8 and the other guy in the small studio we have runs something like Reason on an HP with Windows XP. We both output quality recordings.

Because it has a glowing Apple logo on the back of it. That's why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Because it has a glowing Apple logo on the back of it. That's why.

sersly?! Glow in the dark stickers. I can have a glowing dragon on my Dell. Beat that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook 2GHz/iPod Classic Black 80GB/iPhone 4 32GB/iPad2 WiFi 16GB
Why is a Mac far superior than a PC for those? Windows and OS X both run photos shop. Both have amazing music production programs. I run Logic Studio 8 and the other guy in the small studio we have runs something like Reason on an HP with Windows XP. We both output quality recordings.

I have used both Reason and Cubase on windows and mac. Reason is the same on both, but Cubase on mac is a much user friendly. Yes a pc can be better to produce on, but you have to upgrade, where as a standard mac is better than a standard pc.

I find a mac won't lag unlike a pc, when I'm using inserts on Cubase. Having 6 effects on a single bass drum sample, means alot on a drum kit, nevermind a whole songs worth of samples.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sersly?! Glow in the dark stickers. I can have a glowing dragon on my Dell. Beat that.

Glow in the dark stickers, pfft....what is this, 1986? Try LED back-lit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have used both Reason and Cubase on windows and mac. Reason is the same on both, but Cubase on mac is a much user friendly. Yes a pc can be better to produce on, but you have to upgrade, where as a standard mac is better than a standard pc.

I find a mac won't lag unlike a pc, when I'm using inserts on Cubase. Having 6 effects on a single bass drum sample, means alot on a drum kit, nevermind a whole songs worth of samples.

Have to upgrade what? A similarly spec'ed PC will run just as good as a mac.

Ever hear of Logic 7? You know, the one that would have time outs all the time while trying to record and mix when you had too many tracks? Or the first release of the newest version of Cubase for Mac which basically was worthless because of all the bugs and such?

Running 50+ tracks with multiple effects on vocals, guitars, bass, drums, etc will cause lag if you're running it on any machine that can't handle it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook 2GHz/iPod Classic Black 80GB/iPhone 4 32GB/iPad2 WiFi 16GB

Ever hear of Logic 7? You know, the one that would have time outs all the time while trying to record and mix when you had too many tracks? Or the first release of the newest version of Cubase for Mac which basically was worthless because of all the bugs and such?

Running 50+ tracks with multiple effects on vocals, guitars, bass, drums, etc will cause lag if you're running it on any machine that can't handle it.

I'm talking on preference and experience. I am very sorry for having an opinion :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why even purchase a Mac then? If a Windows PC can do everything just as well and Windows is just as GOOD in EVERY way as OSX, why even purchase a Mac or OSX? Why even bother?

I am starting to feel some trolling is going on. If it continues then this thread will be closed.

do-not-feed-the-troll.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz
Act like you think what they are saying is funny and add to it by slamming something they like.
Ounce you act like it doesn't even phase you and give them crap back about their likes you start to just have fun with it.

But in my trade I am surrounded by sarcastic people that are not happy unless they are talking crap to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Why even purchase a Mac then? If a Windows PC can do everything just as well and Windows is just as GOOD in EVERY way as OSX, why even purchase a Mac or OSX? Why even bother?

I am starting to feel some trolling is going on. If it continues then this thread will be closed.

Nooooooo . . . we're just having some fun.

Besides, I'll be keeping my HP for now - I've tried balancing a pot plant on top of my Imac, but it keeps falling off. Been through 7 keyboards this year already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Preference and choice. Logic 7's stability was a real issue. All I had to do to get my MOTU 828MKII to work with it is connect it and install the drivers. Never had problem with the hardware as it was designed for Apple computers. Cubase was very stable, but the hard ware had problems. 6 here, half a dozen there.

I like the logic interface though, so I stuck with Logic and OS X. Photo shop has worked the exact same way on OS X as it has on Vista for me, but I prefer using the OS X version because of the different interface.

They have strengths and weaknesses but for something like photo editing and recording where it's completely dependant upon the program and hardware choice and no so much as the OS choice, then it shouldn't matter.

I use Logic 8 now and they've really fixed a lot of the stability issues. Apparently Cue Base for OS X is better now, but when it was first released about a year ago for the first Intel binary version, people where avoiding it like the plague and recommending that you use the Windows version with Boot Camp if you were going to use an Apple computer.

I mean, if Ubuntu could natively run Cubase and you were using Cubase with a MOTU A/D convertor on OS X, Vista, and Ubuntu, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference with operation if all three were coded the same way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey

I don't think he's trolling so much as he's making a valid point.

We've got a lot of angry fanboys who aren't making arguments that can stand up on their own, and Village Idiot is countering with completely valid statements to the contrary.

This whole thread started out as flamebait by one fanboy and it escalated from there.

And it's called PREFERENCE, sir. My Mac does all the same things my Windows PC did, I just happen to like using OS X better.

That's the only difference I've found between the two other than prices and machine design.

By continuing to act like Macs are more than just a computer with a different OS on them, the stereotype of Mac users being elitist jerks (stronger words in mind, but I digress) is being perpetuated.

A Mac is just as good as a similarly configured PC, with give and take on build quality and software going both for and against each platform.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree that the thread started as flamebait from the very beginning. I also agree the main reason to own a Mac over a Windows PC is OSX.

I do not agree however that Windows works just as well as OSX in every way. That is not a preference to me but a fact I see every time I use it and Windows which is daily and side by side and with all my work as a Windows PC computer tech.

Edit: Any thread with a title like this one will eventually turn into a FlameFest and bring out the fanboys on both sides. That is why I was considering locking it. It's gone a bit far.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think he's trolling so much as he's making a valid point.

We've got a lot of angry fanboys who aren't making arguments that can stand up on their own, and Village Idiot is countering with completely valid statements to the contrary.

This whole thread started out as flamebait by one fanboy and it escalated from there.

And it's called PREFERENCE, sir. My Mac does all the same things my Windows PC did, I just happen to like using OS X better.

That's the only difference I've found between the two other than prices and machine design.

By continuing to act like Macs are more than just a computer with a different OS on them, the stereotype of Mac users being elitist jerks (stronger words in mind, but I digress) is being perpetuated.

A Mac is just as good as a similarly configured PC, with give and take on build quality and software going both for and against each platform.

Very well said, virtual rep to you, sir.

Although I stand behind my assertion that PC sux because they don't have illuminated logos :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA, come on, get a Dell and get out your Dermal Tool and cut out your Own hole in the lid and put in a glowing apple! :D

Or how about making a Glowing Dell Symbol in that lid! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
CWA, come on, get a Dell and get out your Dermal Tool and cut out your Own hole in the lid and put in a glowing apple! :D

Or how about making a Glowing Dell Symbol in that lid! :D

I'll have to find a photo, but one of my friends has a desktop with a banana shaped window and yellow neon lights in the case.

It's quite amusing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you find that Derek, please post it! It will probably make me laugh and I need a good laugh today! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
As someone who has been a mac user in harder times, I can totally relate. But now all you have to do is talk about the great 3rd party mac software that is being ported to windows instead of the other way around... man times have changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac people hate me because I use Windows.
Windows people hate me because I use OS X.
Linux people hate me because I use Windows and OS X.
Non computer nerds hate me because I use Linux.
Hardcore Linux people hate me because I use Ubuntu.
Jocks hate me because I use a computer.
Ancient Egyptians hate me because I don't use an abacus.
My bartender hates me because I don't pay for my drinks.
My boss hates me because I don't work.
At least my mom still lets me come over to the house and raid the fridge when I don't feel like cooking.

All hilarious, especially the point about the abacus :D

Not so true. The stability and optimization of system software designed specifically for the hardware helps. Windows bogs itself down by having to be functional on the entire range of hardware from total shite to the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I agree that the thread started as flamebait from the very beginning. I also agree the main reason to own a Mac over a Windows PC is OSX.

I do not agree however that Windows works just as well as OSX in every way. That is not a preference to me but a fact I see every time I use it and Windows which is daily and side by side and with all my work as a Windows PC computer tech.

Edit: Any thread with a title like this one will eventually turn into a FlameFest and bring out the fanboys on both sides. That is why I was considering locking it. It's gone a bit far.

And as a computer tech (hey there fellow techy), you'll realize that Windows itself is not flawed in a way to where it will automatically fall down in a pile of flames one day, it's that the users are fundamentally flawed and they're the reason that their computers will fall down into a pile of flames one day.

Case in point? Girl at work was using Myspace, which isn't blocked but is specifically pointed out for our users not to be using. The next week I'm having a tech come out to re-image her machine due to a virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And as a computer tech (hey there fellow techy), you'll realize that Windows itself is not flawed in a way to where it will automatically fall down in a pile of flames one day, it's that the users are fundamentally flawed and they're the reason that their computers will fall down into a pile of flames one day.

Case in point? Girl at work was using Myspace, which isn't blocked but is specifically pointed out for our users not to be using. The next week I'm having a tech come out to re-image her machine due to a virus.

Should one really have to monitor their own web behaviors so closely that they are obstructed from interacting with their hardware in ways that they desire to though? I don't think so. This is why I've been all about OS X since Panther. Jaguar was pretty cool (thats when I jumped from 9 to X), but Panther really solidified the nature of the OS. The use of opensource for a foundation and then extrapolating onto it really helped it take off, especially in terms of interoperability. That also allows for faster development (as the community creates and innovates, it becomes implemented into OS X), faster fixes for any problems, and a whole pile of other deliciousness.

The simple fact is, Windows doesn't offer that kind of speedy innovation like Apple (aligned with the Open Source community) does. They're busy trying to program much of their OS themselves, and as I said before, have to do so so that it is totally functional on all hardware, from crap to gold. Tough job for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.