• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why Apple Releases new macOS each year?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He should be thankful that’s all he has invested. I have more than triple that value hooked to my Mac, so yeah if apple pulled something like that I’d get a PC yesterday before replacing this gear.
I'm sure this guy had a lot more invested than the $3k-$4k for the Pro Tools PCI card. The 2012 Mac Pro he had originally was $5k (plus RAM upgrades)...maybe some additional music based hardware...and I'm sure he has a ton of money invested in software. That's at least $10k+.

Basically sounded like he didn't want to invest (at a minimum)...another $6k for the current base model Mac Pro. I'm sure he would have at least upgraded the RAM and internal storage...which would have gotten it close to $7k.

In any case...a lot of $$$$$!

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
oh yes. I know it well. Just my software plugin collection alone is probably approaching 6 grand. I record drums so I require many more quality mic pres than most (I have 14 to record 14 mics simutaneously plus an additional 8 ok quality mic pres in case I require more...) so that's where the huge dollars in audio rack hardware is. I use multiple universal audio apollo8P racks all cascading into each other over thunderbolt, their DSP units (I have an octo) and much more. It took me years to pay it off. Then, there's the mic collection. Just my 2 overhead mics, is 5 grand, then there's 16 more... All I can say is thank good for digital, real deal Neve mic pres, start at 8 grand for each mic... Id be 120k in the hole if I went analogue hardware at the minimum.

not to mention all the costs related to the DAWs, never mind the 60 grand in musical instruments, the basement Reno requiring foot thick soundproofing new cement floating floor, this home based studio truly, got out of hand :) it's not cheap to make a good record!

So this is why we gripe when apple childishly nags us to upgrade all the time.

here’s a shot of the wiring of the units from behind that is all thunderbolted into the 27 iMac, there’s another desktop audio unit as well (2in). Shown is the 16 channel snake that runs to the performance area allowing
16 mics to plug in to the audio interfaces.

Attachments

• F2CA9019-03D7-4706-8ADB-D5849454AEB0.jpeg
    F2CA9019-03D7-4706-8ADB-D5849454AEB0.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.