• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Why Apple Releases new macOS each year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" 2020 (M1) iPhone 14 Ipad 8th gen ATV 4K 2nd gen
Why does Apple do a major OS upgrade for their devices every year?????????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Why does it bother you? You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to do so.

As for why Apple does it, that's only known to them. They don't charge for the software, so they could use any schedule they choose to, even monthly. I suspect they choose yearly to generate free publicity for themselves.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As opposed to doing a ridiculous number of updates for a release over a course of many years.

Windows 2000 came out 2000 and was EOL'ed in 2010. Windows 8 came out in 2011 and continues to be available. Windows 10 came out 2014 and continues to be supported. Windows 11 came out in 2021 and is slowly making its rounds.

Care to guess how many updates, patches, and whatever Windows 2000 had in those 10 years? How are you certain you are running the latest version other than just ensuring that you stay upgraded constantly?

I have a Windows 10 VM I used for work occasionally and every time I boot it up, a few weeks apart, it spends a good hour or so grabbing all the updates, it's ridiculous.

In contrast, Apple releases a major OS version a year, and a number of smaller updates during the course of that year. Each major release moves the needle on things, bringing new features, getting rid of some features.

There were a specific version of macOS where 32-bit application support was dropped. Apple announced it, users knew it and those who couldn't upgrade those applications knew that they would have to stick with the version of macOS that supported their app. Those without that restriction continued to upgrade.

This is a GOOD thing to allow us to obsolete things and bring new things in.

Microsoft has always employed the opposite mentality and as such has to spend a significant amount of resources maintaining versions of their OS for a very long time.

You WANT Apple to continue to release new versions of the OS with new features, and unless you have a very good reason, you should upgrade to them when released.

Reaction score
I must demur

My Conspiracy theory.....

Apple and the software industry are in cahoots.

A new OS appears. This requires new hardware (made and sold by Apple. naturally. (read more cash)

The existing 3rd party software won't run on the new OS so the companies rewrite their stuff and flog that to us (more cash for them)

We have become pawns - a money pool for the conspirators.

I suppose it was always thus, but I jumped off the merry-go-round a while back. No regrets. I'm likely terminate before the equipment does.

Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must demur

My Conspiracy theory.....

Apple and the software industry are in cahoots.

A new OS appears. This requires new hardware (made and sold by Apple. naturally. (read more cash)

The existing 3rd party software won't run on the new OS so the companies rewrite their stuff and flog that to us (more cash for them)

We have become pawns - a money pool for the conspirators.

I suppose it was always thus, but I jumped off the merry-go-round a while back. No regrets. I'm likely terminate before the equipment does.

Mitch
Uhhh, Apple IS the "software industry" in the case of the OS. And they give it away for free, which is a lousy economic model. And it's not "mandated" for any user, another poor economic decision.

As a conspiracy, it sorta sucks.... :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think we forget that Apple is a company in the business of making money. This is a genius marketing strategy, give away enough things for free and build a following and then force their hand to give you more money by making things just a little out of your reach.

Understand that you and your conspiracy goes out of the window.

Flip side, happy with what you have, just stick with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Well, I’ll continue to rant until Apple and their cohorts decide to pay me off.

Jake, its the 3rd party software that I was referring to. The companies must rub their hands in glee when Apple introduces a new OS that makes their original software redundant. So buy again, suckers.

Ash - yes, I understand the business model. Very smart, as you say, but you gave yourself away in the first paragraph about ‘force their hand’. I, independently minded and ultra cynical remain an ‘unforced’ Luddite, operating on the basis - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it….

Over to you, Tim Cook, or anyone else.

Pinch of salt required.

Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
My 2014 Mini will run any OS from OS X 10.10 up to macOS 12. Unfortunately it won't run the next version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, its the 3rd party software that I was referring to. The companies must rub their hands in glee when Apple introduces a new OS that makes their original software redundant. So buy again, suckers.
Maybe, but that's not a "conspiracy," that's how the world works. Buy a TV? Is it "smart" (for this year)? By next year, it won't be "smart" any more as new features get added. Buy a car? Lots of bells and whistles? Next year the next model will have even more bells and even more whistles. As for third party software being made "redundant" by an upgrade, again, nobody is forcing you to upgrade the OS or the software you have. If you are happy, stick with what you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My 2014 Mini will run any OS from OS X 10.10 up to macOS 12. Unfortunately it won't run the next version.
My late 2014 Mini is running Mojave (14.6) and would run Monterey if I decided to upgrade my 32-bit apps as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As others have mentioned. A new macOS version each year really is not that much. Also...these annual new macOS releases really aren't as major as you may think. Sometimes it seems like the name of the new macOS is the bigger story...rather than what has actually changed under the hood!;)

And as mentioned above. Just because a new macOS is released...doesn't mean you need to upgrade to it. If you don't need it immediately...stay where you are....until you need the newer macOS for something.:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Well it’s major for the pro world, particularly the audio world. I realize apple doesn’t really need us pro creative types any longer, GarageBand iMovie is all ya need. Constant new OSs brings constant demand for updated pro apps, which often is buggy as a result of fast upgrades patches etc., if apple would only stop the constant nag notification that always likes to show up right in the middle of a mix session and there is no ‘close’ button you have to end up opening the App Store and do that song and dance to shut it up, and then try to get back the vibe you were in before the rude interruption.

I know this sounds petty to some but so many of us are tired of it. Pro tools while qualified still isn’t stable enough for production in Monterey and I think it’ll be another year before we ever see a native to apple silicon version.

I know, get off my lawn. I just think apple could start with getting rid of that nag. Just for starters…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know, get off my lawn. I just think apple could start with getting rid of that nag. Just for starters…
The "pro" industry you're referring to, need to tell Apple how they feel. The more that do it, as often as they get nagged, the sooner Apple may change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They do, believe me. But Apple has increasingly become less interested in listening to a group that not only kept them alive in the lean days but, I guess are much much smaller than the consumer market sadly.

What really knocked me over was the numbers in how many pro tools users have switched to PC. Staggering. I kinda sorta get why, though I have no plans to do so myself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it’s major for the pro world, particularly the audio world. I realize apple doesn’t really need us pro creative types any longer, GarageBand iMovie is all ya need. Constant new OSs brings constant demand for updated pro apps, which often is buggy as a result of fast upgrades patches etc.
Don't immediately upgrade Pro Tools just because a new version of the macOS is released. Stick with the stable combination of the macOS & Pro Tools that was being used. When a stable patch for Pro Tools (for the newer version of the macOS) is released...then upgrade.

Totally agree with ending the nagging reminders from Apple!:)

Nick

Reaction score

And now for something completely different....Apple HAS TO.

One of the Mac's claims to fame is that it is mostly resistant to malware. Even of the small handful of malware that exists for the Mac, it isn't nearly as virulent as what exist for Windows. You NEVER read a story in the popular press about an entire office, or worse, an entire company, being devastated by some bit of malware for the Mac. But you DO read such stories about Windows malware.

Every year the bad guys get better at creating malware. So Apple has to constantly harden the Mac OS to malicious incursions. If Apple didn't do that, the bad guys would quickly catch up, and instead of there being only a handful of mostly innocuous malware for the Macintosh, there would suddenly be millions of pieces of very malicious malware, as there is for Windows.

You don't like that explanation? Let me give you another.

Apple has to constantly make Mac's that are faster, or users will lose interest in favor of cheaper Windows computers. Apple also has to make laptops that are lighter and which will go longer on a charge than Windows computers, for the same reason. Mac's are premium computers. Once Mac's stop offering premium performance, they are toast. Mac's have to constantly improve performance-wise to continue to be popular and sell.

To get that improved performance, Apple has to constantly improve their hardware: especially processors and GPU's. Improved computing hardware won't run optimally using legacy OS software. It requires upgraded system software. So, by inference, if Apple stopped offering improved OS versions every year, the Mac's popularity would quickly fade.

Fortunately for us Mac users, Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. That is, while they write a lot of software, Apple realizes that the majority of their software is only there to sell their hardware, which is where Apple makes their money. So, since Apple knows where their money is coming from, they don't nickel and dime us on the OS, they are smart enough to give us their OS for free. (Unlike some other companies you may know about.) In fact, they don't just give us the OS for free, they give us a bunch of important apps for free too (e.g. their word processor, their presentation software, their spreadsheet program, their e-mail program, etc.)

So, instead of whining about being given updated versions of all of this, for free, once a year, you might, instead, want to consider being grateful. This is why most users use Macs instead of Windows. They like the performance, the features, the extras, and the superior security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't immediately upgrade Pro Tools just because a new version of the macOS is released. Stick with the stable combination of the macOS & Pro Tools that was being used. When a stable patch for Pro Tools (for the newer version of the macOS) is released...then upgrade.

Totally agree with ending the nagging reminders from Apple!:)

Nick
This is precisely what we’ve done for years. Had to. I have always been, and still, been several versions back on both OS and pro tools versions. I’m actually quite a few versions back in pro tools.

I only recently went to Big Sur and the version of PT needed for that OS from Mojave. I likely won’t go to Monterey/pt 2022 until next year. I tried pt2022 on the new machine and it’s buggy as ****. Still.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Groovetube. I recently purchased a 2012 Mac Pro that was used by what I was told was a well-known music professional in my area that works with some top artists from New York City (I think he mostly did the mixing of the music...the beat...the various layered tracks...etc).

He also used Pro Tools software...and he had one of those specialized Pro Tools PCI cards that costs $3000-$4000:

Anyways as the story goes...he wanted to upgrade to the latest version of Pro Tools...but the macOS version it needed wasn't supported by the 2012 Mac Pro...and he definitely wanted to continue using that $3k-$4k Pro Tools PCI card.

Seems his choices were purchase a brand new Mac Pro for $4000-$5000 or more...or spend around $1000 for a Windows setup (he went with the Windows setup). Maybe if Apple had finally gotten around to releasing an Apple Silicon Mac Pro (which may have been less $$$$ than the current Intel based Mac Pro)...maybe he would have stuck with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He should be thankful that’s all he has invested. I have more than triple that value hooked to my Mac, so yeah if apple pulled something like that I’d get a PC yesterday before replacing this gear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.