• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who here has the greatest job?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP | Mini | iPOD
LOL... You got that wrong though. I am on the Light Side. GE Rocks ;P

You should tell your g/f to come and join the Bright Shining Star of GE HealthCare :D

Out of curiosity what does she do for philips.

She used to do MR applications, but now sells C-arms for them.

She used to teach X-ray & MRI @ a local hospital, but the students would graduate and make more money right out of her class, so she figured it was time to move on, but she does teach MR online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Nobody really enjoys 'work', and it makes no difference how much one person earns in comparison to another, or how many added bonuses or benefits one has with their employment... money and bribes aren't everything. Sure, there are plenty of little perks where I work and I make a decent salary doing what I enjoy doing, but even if I didn't I would still do it.

I think that anyone who gets up every day and gets paid for doing something they truly and honestly enjoy doing (and would even be likely to do it without being paid... and probably already has for years prior) has the greatest job they can have. If you have that, then it isn't 'work'.

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
Sgt. Beavis, you mentioned you get GM employee pricing, but it looks like you drive a Ford Mustang. Just an observation.

Thats because I was working elsewhere when I bought the Mustang.

This is what I got my wife for her birthday...

945565193_82c3522812.jpg

OP
Sgt Beavis
Reaction score
Wow! Glad to see people out there with good/great jobs and others in school. I should have stayed in school :(

I should have went to college instead of a course here and there.

I work in a foundry. We make engine/head castings for a major tractor company...not too hard to figure out. Great money, but I need a change in my life.

MinaMACMan, what medical company?

I don't have a college degree. I have a few college credit here and there but nothing that is related to the work I actually do. I didn't even attend one of those technical colleges. Heck the only training course I've ever taken was a required class to become a VMware Certified Professional. Fortunately, that was on the companies dime.

The point is, you don't need college. It can certainly help but it definitely isn't a requirement. Michael Dell is a billionaire and he happens to also be a college dropout. He wasn't even studying business or IT in college. He was studying medicine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HD, 15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz 4GB RAM 320 GB HDD
I work on iMac's all day at the community college in town, creating images, troubleshooting, and installs.

Every three years we get allocated funds to purchase new equipment - this year, we ordered 45 high-end 24" iMacs.

Let's just say going to work makes me smile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I manage the 20 million dollars my grandfather left me... seriously

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67GHz/17" PowerBook G4/1.5 MB RAM
I work in a video store. While I must wait on customers from time to time, and deal with returned movies and other work, I generally sit around with my coworkers and anyone else who comes in watching movies, talking about movies, laughing about irritating/creepy customers after they leave, sometimes playing video games, and just generally having a good time. It is also nice because our video store is the closest thing to an independent store in the area, and we carry a lot more anime and foreign films than your standard Blockbuster might have. The decor is great... and while I don't think I'll start covering everything at home in Ryo-Ohki and marshmallow Peeps anytime soon myself, the manager has really made our store unique! The pay is crappy, but it doesn't bother me at all. I would rather be happy than wealthy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
I'm technically a grad student, but i am currently doing my internship in counseling and therapy. it's going to be a nice job one day after i'm certified and can work for myself, getting paid to form relationships with people everyday; but for now, the counseling center I am working for makes 105 dollars per hour that I see clients but I don't take home one dime of it. Yay internship! On the side, I do the easiest, basic, IT and network troubleshooting that exists for a local grammar school. I get paid $12/hr to come in whenever I feel like it and accomplish a list of tasks and problems that my boss puts on our server. I really enjoy it as I spend most of my time walking around listening to my music and playing games on my MBP while I wait for windows machines to reboot or recover from all their problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I'm a Nuclear Fluid Systems Technician (a nuclear-trained MM (machinist's mate) for the U.S. Navy). The pay is pretty good, but I'm gone from home a lot. I get an annual installment of my re-enlistment bonus that pays for cool toys every October. I get 30 days of paid vacation a year, but I'm not home long enough in one shot to ever take very much (I'm on day 9 of a 12 day vacation right now, but this year I've only used 17 days of my 30), so I have a lot of vacation saved up. I make enough money that I drive two newer cars , have a decent place to live, and my wife doesn't have to work. Unfortunately I have an hour and a half commute each way to work, and spend over $500 per month in fuel. To add to that, I'm gone 6-9 months every year, but fortunately I'm due to go to shore duty (no more going out to sea!) in about a year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
i plan weddings then crash them, cant get much better than that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Gas and Internet access cost me $125 a month. I don't watch TV much so I don't need cable TV. I hope to never own another domestic vehicle so that perk is worthless to me as well. My pricing on Apple products is decent. It's probably not employee pricing but it's probably not far off either. It's also not a perk to work from home because I like driving and it gets me out of the house. I am also glad I don't feel the need to brag about such things like yourself Sgt. Beavis.

But since you asked...
I work for a retail company specializing in the sale of high end, photography equiptment. I make less than $15 an hour which works well for me seeing I don't like to own a lot of useless stuff. It buys me what I want and I can still bank money if I choose to.
I work next to my supervisor who is cool. He's in his 50's but lets me be in charge of the music we listen to. If RATM or System of a Down are his only beefs against my music, that's a cool boss.
I get plenty of vacation and sick time. Everything is pretty laid back. But it's still a 9-5 job and it gets annoying.
The biggest perk is the equiptment rentals. I've rented $30,000 worth of cameras, lenses, and lighting equitment over a weekend for free. To me, saving a few grand in equiptment rental fees is a far bigger perk than free internet access.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Alrighty then... Let me get in on this ;D

I work as an MRI Engineer.

You should be extremely proud of what you do, and how you've achieved it - at least your "bragging" was as a comical response to the OP's obnoxious rant.

I, myself, run several online "e-tailers", selling a vast inventory.

Thanks

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Gas and Internet access cost me $125 a month. I don't watch TV much so I don't need cable TV. I hope to never own another domestic vehicle so that perk is worthless to me as well. My pricing on Apple products is decent. It's probably not employee pricing but it's probably not far off either. It's also not a perk to work from home because I like driving and it gets me out of the house. I am also glad I don't feel the need to brag about such things like yourself Sgt. Beavis.

But since you asked...
I work for a retail company specializing in the sale of high end, photography equiptment. I make less than $15 an hour which works well for me seeing I don't like to own a lot of useless stuff. It buys me what I want and I can still bank money if I choose to.
I work next to my supervisor who is cool. He's in his 50's but lets me be in charge of the music we listen to. If RATM or System of a Down are his only beefs against my music, that's a cool boss.
I get plenty of vacation and sick time. Everything is pretty laid back. But it's still a 9-5 job and it gets annoying.
The biggest perk is the equiptment rentals. I've rented $30,000 worth of cameras, lenses, and lighting equitment over a weekend for free. To me, saving a few grand in equiptment rental fees is a far bigger perk than free internet access.

You do have a killer job! Want to trade? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I get to drive a big red umm...Slime green truck and run red lights!! We work 24Hrs and then get 48Hrs off.
20071224-8haumgt75x7i37dpmidi82wtg8.jpg

And on some of my off days I work at the apple store..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get to drive a big red umm...Slime green truck and run red lights!! We work 24Hrs and then get 48Hrs off.
20071224-8haumgt75x7i37dpmidi82wtg8.jpg

And on some of my off days I work at the apple store..

Your screen name shoul of been AppleCrisp (I woulda done that for sure LOL) Firefighter is a great job and every little boys dream to become Grats!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Thread Officially Does Not Deliver....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I think that anyone who gets up every day and gets paid for doing something they truly and honestly enjoy doing (and would even be likely to do it without being paid... and probably already has for years prior) has the greatest job they can have. If you have that, then it isn't 'work'.
Amen, Brother.

I have the greatest job for me, or at least darned close to it. I help make it so more airplanes can fly safer, faster, and with fewer delays. I'm an engineer in air traffic control research and development.

For instance, in 2005, the US opened airspace above 29,000 feet. It used to be that aircraft could fly only at "odd" altitudes - FL290, 310, 330, etc. (FL290 means flight level 290 or 29,000 feet. FL310 is flight level 310 or 31,000 feet.) I helped get the even altitudes (FL300, 320, 340, etc.) open through a program called D-RVSM or Domestic Reduced Vertical Separation Minima. I'm only one person out of many who were involved, but some of my work showed how it would make the airspace safer and was instrumental in making it happen.

I could be a manager and make more money, but I'm an engineer. It's what I enjoy doing. I know how to solve problems and I live to do just that.

Are there better jobs for me? I can only think of two. One would be to work at Google. I think that would be a great place to be creative. The other would be to work for JPL, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. These are the people who put probes out to other worlds. All you need to do is look at the current Mars probes - Spirit and Opportunity - and see what these people are capable of doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.