USB hub slows my browser

krs

Reaction score
I have a similar issue here:
One provider offers 50/50 at $C80.- or 150/150 at $C95 (or higher at more $$$)
and a subsidiary of that same provider (using the same fiber infrastructure) offers 50/10 at $C60 or 100/10 at $C70
Right now I'm on a half price promotion of 100/10 at $C35.-but that ends in December so I need to figure out what to do then.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If I had a 50/50 option, I'd take it. But I've had to go to 1000/35 to get the 35 up. Total waste but it was only US$5 more than 600/20. I don't know who sorts out the pricing on these things, but logic is a stranger to them.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I can say that for our average size home and streaming requirements 20Mbs with unlimited downloads for AU$49.00 a month on NBN fibre to the kerb to a dual band router is adequate. I use 5Ghz in the lounge/dining/kitchen/family room and 2.4Ghz everywhere else. I have no problem with this system for internet use or download speed for up to 10 devices at the same time. Two computers, two iPads, two iPhones, two Smart TV's, one Apple TV and one Apple Watch. Cost is a big issue for me so I think we have fine tuned our home service to the minimum service for the maximum function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Troubleshooting here is really simple. We know that the problem begins when the hub is plugged in, and ends when it is unplugged. Barring a problem with macOS itself, the issue is hardware. Either the port that the hub is plugged into (has the hub been tried in a different port?); the USB cable in use (has a different cable been tried? Stick to a reliable brand, like, well, Anker); or the hub itself (assume the hub is defective and ask for a replacement, or switch to a different one entirely).

Just for laughs, to eliminate some weird macOS issue in play, I would run the maintenance tools from Onyx. Maybe clearing the cache is all that's needed here.

Let me tell you a story I had about a USB device causing me trouble that made no sense at all. I had a Mac Pro that was hung on on rebooting. I couldn't figure it out. All troubleshooting said to unplug everything. Well I unplugged everything EXCEPT the bluetooth headset I was using for my iPhone that charged on a USB port. After all, why would I? It was just charging. It didn't seem necessary. As it turns out, that was the problem. The Mac was trying to boot off of that headset. Something about the firmware in the headset made the Mac think it could do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.