USB hub slows my browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini 16gig/Air 2017 4gig
I got this Anker USB Hub and when its plugged in it SLOWS down my browser dramatically....even though other peripherals attached to it are off.
It doesn't get better until I pull it out...????have you ever heard of this?? ridiculous..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If there is a slow down, it should be happening for ALL applications because the USB has a drive or something that is slowing everything down. It wouldn't affect just a single application.

USB hubs generally do not need any additional software so that's likely not the culprit. Anker is a reputable brand for peripherals and I doubt others are having the same issue.

What else is slow? What does Activity Monitor say with and without the USB hub plugged in? What browser? When did you restart last? Did you do a SMC/PRAM reset? Have you tried Safe Mode?

OP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out USB 3 has documented problems with "noise" ...substantial noise...thats from Intel Company and they knew about it
as far back as 2012. It messes up 2.4g...they suggest use 5 g but many small wifi devices can't do 5g. So I have to unplug the
hub for internet use. Its still useful for non internet stuff.
btw can you set Catalina wifi for 5g..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I found out USB 3 has documented problems with "noise" ...substantial noise...thats from Intel Company and they knew about it
as far back as 2012. It messes up 2.4g...they suggest use 5 g but many small wifi devices can't do 5g. So I have to unplug the
Well, there is a lot of BS from Intel on that, but whatever...

You don't set Catalina for 5gHz. You set your router to separate your two bands into two different networks, then connect to the one that is 5gHz. So, for example, if you have a network called "HomeNet," you would go into your router and create a 2.4gHz only net named "HomeNet 2.4" and another that is 5gHz only as "HomeNet 5." Now on the Mac, select "HomeNet 5" and you are connected by 5gHz. How to do that on your router depends on the router firmware. You'll have to get that information from the router provider documentation.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

USB is a wired technology, WiFi is a wireless technology that is able to operate at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

How about we actually focus on the issue as opposed to veering into random places.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wow, interesting but I have a USB 3.0 hub that I use with my 2020 MBP and I have never had an issue with it slowing down my browser. I love Anker products. They have excellent customer support.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like Jake said above.... Lots of BS from Intel. :)

I've never had a problem with my WiFi signal on 2.4 GHz and the BT devices I use.

OP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know....these people act like I made it up....why would I do that??? 2 minutes ago my wifi wouldn't connect... then I saw the hub plugged in...unplugged it and connected instantly. I don't think USB C has issues...
"One has absolutely nothing to do with the other."
man if you think emf doesn't come from wired devices and also affect wireless devices, you don't know electronics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@456, I don't think anybody said you made it up. Just that it's very unlikely. You could have a defective hub--it happens--but I have two Anker USB3 hubs, both connected to my MBP and have zero problems. I'm not running USB-C, just USB-3.

Your first post was a bit unclear in that you said "it SLOWS down my browser." That then led to people thinking it slowed down the Mac itself, when in fact you meant that your connectivity slowed down. That's a small but important difference. Interference with the 2.4 gHz band is possible from any combination of BlueTooth, wireless telephones, other BT devices, remote controls, wireless cameras, etc. Just about every wireless device is in that band. The interference may even come from a neighbor, if they are close enough.

Is it possible for a hub to interfere with WiFi? Sure, anything is possible. I once saw an elevator interfere with a wired Ethernet, so ANYTHING is possible. It may even be that your Wifi connection is right on the threshold of usability and a little interference from the hub pushes it over the edge. Or the hub may be blasting out interference from some cold solder joint, or a failing capacitor or just about any marginal component.

To fix the issue, you can try some of the suggestions in the article KRS posted. Or, just get rid of the hub and get a new one without the issue. Maybe contact Anker about it to see what they have to say. They are a pretty good company and usually stand behind their products. You might even try moving your Wifi router a few inches. At 2.4gHz, the wavelength is such that just a couple of inches will change the interference pattern from all devices dramatically. Doesn't take much. 2-3 inches.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can only relate to my own setup. As I stated, I have BT devices and use the 2.4 Ghz WiFi band from my router and never a problem. Also I use several external drives attached to USB-C and again, no problem.

However, everyone's situation and setup is unique to them so what one person experiences may not necessarily reflect what others are.

krs

Reaction score
I can only relate to my own setup. As I stated, I have BT devices and use the 2.4 Ghz WiFi band from my router and never a problem. Also I use several external drives attached to USB-C and again, no problem.

However, everyone's situation and setup is unique to them so what one person experiences may not necessarily reflect what others are.
Pretty much the same here although I don't use any USB-C devices only USB 3.0 devices (some of which also have the problem)
I just checked my WiFi S/N ratio - it's only 10db, classified as "poor" by MacWiFi diagnostics.
The modem/router I use has 12 antennas for 2.4GHz, maybe that helps.

I'm actually surprised this issue even exists.
There are regulatory requirements that limit the amount of interference a device is allowed to generate - specifically meant to prevent this type of problem. Do these devices that cause this interference not meet these regulatory specs?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty much the same here although I don't use any USB-C devices only USB 3.0 devices (some of which also have the problem)
I just checked my WiFi S/N ratio - it's only 10db, classified as "poor" by MacWiFi diagnostics.
The modem/router I use has 12 antennas for 2.4GHz, maybe that helps.

I'm actually surprised this issue even exists.
There are regulatory requirements that limit the amount of interference a device is allowed to generate - specifically meant to prevent this type of problem. Do these devices that cause this interference not meet these regulatory specs?
Yes, but if a component fails internally, it can create spurious signals. Typically it's something as simple as a crack in a solder joint, or a capacitor dying. The design is fine, but the failure can cause issues. Much like in the old days of distributors and condensers in our cars, if the condenser/points/distributor cap developed any defect, it could bleed into the car audio system. Another example is alternator whine, which happens when the diodes in the alternator start to go south and the burden shifts from broken ones to others and they get overloaded.

krs

Reaction score
Yes, but if a component fails internally, it can create spurious signals.
I hear you and I agree.
But reading the information that google brings up, this issue sounds a lot more wide-spread than some random failures.
I have not however found any discussion that gets into the nitty gritty technical detail of exactly what's happening and why.
The information is usually - if you have the problem, here is what you can do.
And the suggestions are sometimes a bit ridiculous, at least in my opinion.
Like don't use the device, switch to a different WiFi frequency, run USB 3.0 at USB 2.0 speeds....
How about a real fix rather than these work-a-rounds?
Maybe the devices with the problems are just not shielded adequately - possible that the samples submitted for regulatory approval were fine and then the manufacturing run had a problem.
I would just send any new product back if it creates that much interference with my WiFi signal.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I thought the same thing, try moving the hub around a bit. Ideally the best test would be another same model Anker Hub see if the same thing happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear you and I agree.
But reading the information that google brings up, this issue sounds a lot more wide-spread than some random failures.
I have not however found any discussion that gets into the nitty gritty technical detail of exactly what's happening and why.
The information is usually - if you have the problem, here is what you can do.
And the suggestions are sometimes a bit ridiculous, at least in my opinion.
Like don't use the device, switch to a different WiFi frequency, run USB 3.0 at USB 2.0 speeds....
How about a real fix rather than these work-a-rounds?
Maybe the devices with the problems are just not shielded adequately - possible that the samples submitted for regulatory approval were fine and then the manufacturing run had a problem.
I would just send any new product back if it creates that much interference with my WiFi signal.
Consider this: Nobody goes to the Internet to say "it's working." They go to say "it's not working." Then once the issue is raised, the echo chamber starts to fill up with others who have the same or similar issue. And if any one of those folks goes to another site and complains, the same folks follow and create a new echo chamber there. Hence, any problem seems much more wide-spread than it probably is. And when someone writes an article like the one linked to earlier, the echo chamber(s) get louder.

The reasons there are no "nitty gritty technical detail(s)" is that it's most likely a failure and failures can take many forms, so no definitive cause. But failures can be corrected, so there are lots of "here is what to do" postings, most of which eliminate the failed or failing device. Don't use the device is the easiest, so that's why it's suggested. If your car has a flat tire, change the tire. Don't drive the car with it.

Switching frequencies is another "get away from the problem" solution. But you cannot "run USB 3.0 at USB 2.0 speeds," AFAIK. The speed is negotiated by the devices attached to the hub, not a setting. And if the problem is the hub itself, it's not the devices, it's the hub.

The "real fix" is to replace the defective hub/device.

Not every device requires shielding. And shielding against a hardware failure is not required, as you cannot predict what the failure will be. The regulations simply require that a properly working device be within certain limits. Most manufacturers select and test random samples of products to evaluate quality of the assembly line. If a batch fails quality tests, they stop to find out why. But el-cheapo products may not have that quality testing. If sufficient numbers of them radiate in an unapproved manner, they can be restricted from the market, but if the manufacturer can show that it is taking steps to improve quality, the devices can continue to be sold. I am pretty sure Anker does such testing, but even then a certain percentage of products with incipient, undetectable minor flaws will pass inspection, but then fail in full service when temperature shifts exacerbate the minor flaws into failures or weak components fail under daily full use. It happens. Even Rolls-Royce makes a lemon every once in a while. Every product fails at some rate.

Your last sentence is the best idea. That way the manufacturer gets the defective product to test/evaluate for the failure and you get rid of the problem.

The root of the issue is really that the WiFi frequency is used by other services--wireless phones on landlines, remotes for some devices, Bluetooth communications, etc. Each is supposed to "play nice" as the frequencies are shared, but that "play nice" is voluntary, and not everybody follows the protocols. Now add in that if you are in a dense housing location (apartments, duplexes, town homes, even suburban homes that are close together) all of your neighbor's signals are also in your house. I, for example, can see at least twelve different WiFi routers from my home. All of those are using the same 2.4gHz band, plus all my (and their) BT devices, WiFi printers, etc. One thing you can do is to run some network analyzer and see what channels are most busy and move to something not so busy. Unfortunately, in the 2.4gHz band structure any given channel can cause some interference on adjacent channels up to 3-4 away from it. Nothing defective, just physics. So if you are on band 6 (of 12 available) then anything from band 3-9 *might* interfere.

The advantage of the 5gHz band is that there are more channels and more space between channels, so the likelihood of interference is much lower. I suspect that as the lower band gets more and more cluttered with BT and other wireless signals everywhere, it will stop being that useful for WiFi and the "default" will move to 5gHz or even higher if congestion continues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem with using higher frequencies is that their "reach" is much shorter than the lower frequencies. Living in a cluttered area such as an apartment building or condo, the higher frequency is a better choice.

I notice even in my home (ranch style, 2100 Square Feet) the 5Ghz signal is weaker than the 2.4 Ghz signal to the more distant parts of the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other advantage of higher frequencies is greater bandwidth and data speeds. That's why 5G is going so high freq. Very short range, but very fast. For homes, the mesh network at higher frequencies will become the way to go.

krs

Reaction score
@Jake - Can't argue with what you posted in your long post #16 although, based on what I read so far, I'm not at all convinced the issue simply traces back to defective equipment.

And re chscag's comment, I ended up switching back to the 2.4GHz WiFi band as well because the higher speed was just not reliable enough and kept dropping as people moved their laptops around in the house and the yard.
I'm on a 100 Mb/s fiber connection to the net and that for all our purposes is more than fast enough - I'm actually thinking of renewing at the 50 Mb/s fiber plan if it's a lot cheaper than the 100 Mb/s plan.
We tried out the 1 Gb/s plan for a month with no real perceived benefit - with the 1 Gb/s fiber plan, the 2.4GHz WiFi limited the speed to the Macs to around 350 Mb/s, so for us, going to a higher WiFi frequency would do nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@krs, there was a study done by the Wall Street Journal that showed most folks didn't need above 50 (actually 40) Mb/s plans for streaming video to multiple devices. I'm only on a higher plan because my provider (Xfinity) has very slow upload speeds below the 300Mb/s tier and the cost to go to the higher tier above that is only $5/month. There is a fiber optic company installing cable in our neighbor hood now, I may look at what they offer once it is in. Their advertising says the same up and down, which would be a significant improvement in upload speeds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.