USB C hub - am I going crazy?

Reaction score
Hi there

anyone know how or where to by a usb c hub? I need as many usb c ports as I can get hold of!!

I have a 2018 iMac. It has 2 USB C ports on it. Everything I seem to buy at the mo is USB C, which is great cause I find it to be fast and reliable.

I have five usb c hard drives (so far) and a second monitor that need those ports.

so at the mo I’m doing a Rubix cube when it Comes to switching The drives and getting the right ones on the right time. And I’ve given up on a second monitor.

seems an odd situation in the modern world.

but - I can’t find a usb c hub anywhere!!
Surely they must exists right? I have 4 old usb slots on my iMac and I can easily get a usb hub ( of which I do have one ) but I can’t find a usb c extender hub anywhere.

I can’t be the only person in the world who needs more than two usb c devices at one time.

Any info on where to buy one would be great!

If they don’t exist please tell me why! It’s insane!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wow - you are right. It seems the hub makers all assume you want to use them as an adapters.

This is the best I could find and it only offers two! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WT3FL4/?tag=macforums0e4-20

There are also adapters that would let you use the USB 3 ports on your iMac with USB-C devices but you will loose some speed.
Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, I've own the small hub below from OWC since getting a new iMac last year - check the link HERE to see their other offerings - good luck. Dave
Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 5.54.07 PM.png

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thats a really nice looking hub Dave but I still get a bit peeved when I think that I would have to spend an additional AU$76.00 to purchase an accessory just to get the same ports I already have on my 13" 2015 MBPr. I bought this model at Christmas 2017 because I knew what was coming and I wasn't willing to swap out all my USB A devices just yet.
Now nearly 3 years down the track we still find that even Apple doesn't produce many USB C connected devices. Even my 2020 iPhone SE still comes with a USB A cable while my wife has to use an adaptor to plug her iPhone X into her 2018 MBP.
There is however a leak on Mac Rumours https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/14/apple-iphone-12-braided-lightning-cable/ that suggests that the iPhone 12 may come with a braided USB-C to Lightening cable, all I can say is about time.

Reaction score
Hi there

...anyone know how or where to by a usb c hub? I need as many usb c ports as I can get hold of!!

You won't be happy with this answer... the chipsets required to make a USB-C hub just aren't available.

Why no Multiport USB-C hubs?

You might be able to find a hub with two USB-C ports, but they won't both be 100% functional as normal.

Randy B. Singer • Attorney at Law
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
Macintosh Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Very I try.

the problemwith hubs with two usb c plugs is that you’re only gaining one.

@Randy B. Singer do you know why they’re not available? A patent issue? For me it makes the technology of usb c totally useless. The old USB therefore is the much better option - despite the age of it and speed issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I think because they can be used in a daisy chain, there is no need for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think because they can be used in a daisy chain, there is no need for them.
Maybe not "no need," but certainly less need. That was my thinking as well, Bob. Just daisy chain them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Maybe not "no need," but certainly less need. That was my thinking as well, Bob. Just daisy chain them.
That’s what I thought but none of my 5 hard drives have this. These aren’t ‘cheap’ drives either A they’re G Raid and LaCie drives, no daisy chaining options. And because of no hdmi port on new iMac I have to use one of my ports for a second monitor - which I no longer use

not sure what suitable editing drives offer daisy chaining...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then you may be stuck with what's in post #4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
They may be available sooner or later.....

Reaction score
@Randy B. Singer do you know why they’re not available? A patent issue?

I do not know. Not even the experts that I've communicated with know.

For me it makes the technology of usb c totally useless. The old USB therefore is the much better option - despite the age of it and speed issues.
Well, then USB-C will work fine for you then. Because it's easy to find inexpensive hubs that connect to your Mac's USB-C port that provide multiple USB 3.x type A ports. Just make sure that you don't purchase any peripherals that have USB-C inputs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Unless they have two ports and can be daisy chained.

I've never seen anyone daisy-chaining USB-C devices. So I did some research. While Thunderbolt allows some daisy-chaining (it likes monitors to be at the end of such a chain), USB-C does not:

This shouldn't be a surprise. USB devices have never been designed to be daisy-chained, they've always been designed to be used in a "star" configuration (i.e. with a hub):

This topic becomes confusing to folks because some Thunderbolt ports use USB-C type connectors. But these aren't USB-C ports, they are Thunderbolt ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
x
USB devices have never been designed to be daisy-chained, they've always been designed to be used in a "star" configuration (i.e. with a hub):
Randy, I'm daisy chaining USB3 devices right now. I have a USB3 drive that has a USB3 port on the front that then connects to a USB thumb drive. The drives mount separately on my desktop. I have a second, identical, USB3 drive that has a scanner daisy chained from that port. Works perfectly for me. Maybe I'm just lucky, but in practice it works every time. Maybe USB-C changed and they can no longer be daisy chained?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about some of these? Would any of these work for the OP?

Reaction score
What about some of these? Would any of these work for the OP?

Take a close look at those "USB-C hubs". None of them take a USB-C output and turn it into more than two USB-C ports. And even in the latter case, the two USB-C ports aren't equal to the original that they are attached to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noted that, but the OP also said he had a monitor to support, so one of those hubs would allow that function to be satisfied and still leave the same number of USB-C ports available. Not perfect, and the Rubik's cube will still be in play, but at least the Monitor is satisfied.

Reaction score
x

Randy, I'm daisy chaining USB3 devices right now. I have a USB3 drive that has a USB3 port on the front that then connects to a USB thumb drive. The drives mount separately on my desktop. I have a second, identical, USB3 drive that has a scanner daisy chained from that port. Works perfectly for me. Maybe I'm just lucky, but in practice it works every time. Maybe USB-C changed and they can no longer be daisy chained?
USB 3.0 may be an outlier. None of the articles that I cited talk about whether or not they are daisy-chainable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.