Too much sharing šŸ˜’

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
Ok, I think I have it working well. My only concern now is how do I access iCloud if actually want to access it? To be honest, I have no idea how anything ever got onto the cloud. I donā€™t recall ever using it for anything. Iā€™m also extremely paranoid about having my data any place other than my computer. I turn my Wi-Fi off when Iā€™m not using it. Iā€™ve never even used Wi-Fi on my phone. I know you guys think Iā€™m overreacting, but Iā€™ve read Orwellā€™s 1984 too many times I guess. The only thing more frightening than that, is AI, but thatā€™s a paranoid rant for another day.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
A HA !! I think I MAY have found the common denominator. I used my wife's phone number on my iPad, and she used that phone number when she was setting up her iPad. Does iCloud think I'm HER? Sigh ....... it's not always easy being stupid.
I suspect that her phone number is somehow associated with your AppleID, so when you used her phone number, it got associated with your AppleID and started the sync. You can see what numbers are associated with your AppleID by going to Apple ID , signing in and click on the box labelled "Email & Phone numbers." You will see al email addresses and phone numbers associated with that AppleID.

As for the paranoia, I understand it, but an iPad with zero connectivity is not much value. You have to connect to get content. Once connected, whatever is going out will go out in seconds, probably even before you can toggle WiFi off again. So, as the horse has left the barn, you might as well leave the door open and use the iPad for whatever you want.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
As for the paranoia, I understand it, but an iPad with zero connectivity is not much value. You have to connect to get content.

I didn't say it was never connected, only that it isn't connected while not in use. I even turn off my TV at the power source because it uses WebOS. I'm seriously paranoid, but I don't live like Ted Kaczinsky. The reason for the iPad is to do the simple mundane stuff like the book of faces, reddit, YouTube, stuff like that because my computer is 4 years old now, and since there is no way to repair it, I just want to use it mostly for memory intense things like photo editing. I'd hate for the computer to die while I was doing mindless nonsense with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I donā€™t understand why are you7 choosing a phone number? Just use your nw email address and leave it at that.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I donā€™t understand why are you7 choosing a phone number? Just use your nw email address and leave it at that.

Because it wouldn't let me continue the install process. I tried, several times.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Details like your phone number are required for a new Apple account, it's just so long ago now I'd forgotten, also, I believe a payment method of some sort must be entered even if you never "buy" anything. This makes it pretty difficult to setup a "fake" Apple ID so I'm not sure how hempomatic has created a new account. My guess is different name, same account.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree, Rod.

For @hempomatic;

Here is a detailed link to creating a new Apple ID which includes all iDevices and Macs. You will need to provide an email; but if you don't want to use a current one, Apple allows you to create an email within Apple ID - what they call "Get a free iCloud email addressā€.

I advise that you do this because that "free iCloud email address" will then become the email you use to sign into your Apple ID and iCloud etc. Why I recommend you do this, is because you will never have to use or recall any previous email address you might have used. The new one will likely be [email protected]

And yes, you will need to provide a payment method and billing and a phone number and - of course - a very sound and proper Password.

But give this Link a real good read; it's all there.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I agree, Rod.

For @hempomatic;

I advise that you do this because that "free iCloud email address" will then become the email you use to sign into your Apple ID and iCloud etc. Why I recommend you do this, is because you will never have to use or recall any previous email address you might have used. The new one will likely be [email protected]

Ian
I have to agree here, for many years my Apple ID was my "own" email, however when this is used elsewhere as well e.g. MS Outlook, it become "tricky" in getting things to go where you want. I now have both an Apple and MS ID with their domains, and life is now simpler.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree, Rod.

For @hempomatic;

Here is a detailed link to creating a new Apple ID which includes all iDevices and Macs. You will need to provide an email; but if you don't want to use a current one, Apple allows you to create an email within Apple ID - what they call "Get a free iCloud email addressā€.

And yes, you will need to provide a payment method and billing and a phone number and - of course - a very sound and proper Password.

But give this Link a real good read; it's all there.

Ian

šŸ¤£ One of my closest friends who is intimately familiar with everything Mac said in a recent email that "if there is a more difficult, time consuming, and frustrating way to accomplish a computer related task you always seem to find it and go all in down that rabbit hole." Indeed, he is correct.

Oddly, the ONE thing I was able to bypass was payment method. The key for me is the relative autonomy I want. It is an iPad and I'm only using it for some email, the book of faces, reddit, and reading The NY Times (and others) etc. The entire identity is fake by design. Ian, as far as iCloud, I don't use it. I know in my head it's secure, but I always feel like big brother is looking over my shoulder or peering into my window like a peeping tom. It was easy enough to simply start a new anonymous email account. The iPad isn't even networked to my main computer.

The MAIN reason I have the iPad is to limit the use of my MBP which is a 2020 machine and the last of the Intel units. Since there is no repair path if it craps out, I'm simply trying to limit it's use and hang onto it until planned obsolescence takes it inevitable toll. I would never even consider using the iPad or any mobile device for anything important. I will still use the MBP for banking, taxes, credit cards, medical and taxes and do that through a proxy server. The book of faces for example makes that almost impossible, so if they feel the need to look over my shoulder, they won't find anything useful. šŸ˜‰

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@hempomatic

Fair enough. No one, least of all me, is trying to interfere with your philosophy. It's your Device, your call.

Anyway, it looks like you have reached a compromise re Machine versus Privacy. Good luck; but do keep in touch.

Ian

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@hempomatic

Fair enough. No one, least of all me, is trying to interfere with your philosophy. It's your Device, your call.

Anyway, it looks like you have reached a compromise re Machine versus Privacy. Good luck; but do keep in touch.

Ian

šŸ˜† If you can peer into my history here, you'll see I try not to be a pain, and I even try to contribute now and again if some other beleaguered fellow needs help I can offer, or to commiserate. I always keep in touch here, given the inevitability of the wheels coming off with my "philosophy" and occasionally getting the better of me.

My avatar clearly indicates my state of mind when I finally ask for help.

You do know that I ALWAYS appreciate the help and advice I get here. šŸ˜‰

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
šŸ˜† If you can peer into my history here, you'll see I try not to be a pain, and I even try to contribute now and again if some other beleaguered fellow needs help I can offer, or to commiserate. I always keep in touch here, given the inevitability of the wheels coming off with my "philosophy" and occasionally getting the better of me.

My avatar clearly indicates my state of mind when I finally ask for help.

You do know that I ALWAYS appreciate the help and advice I get here. šŸ˜‰
Absolutely. My comments were a means of confirming how much we respect our members, very much including yourself.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.