Too much sharing 😒

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I picked up a 9th gen iPad yesterday. There are now 3 apple devices in my house, my MBP, my wife’s iPad and now this one. Is there any way to stop sharing between devices?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What does "stop sharing" mean?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
I see everything from the other computers. Wife’s schedules, iCloud pictures from a decade ago, things like that. I don’t want to share anything, I want it to be totally isolated from the other computers. if I can’t make this an autonomous device, it serves no purpose for me whatsoever.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using a single Apple ID across all devices? If so, that's the reason. Each individual should have their own Apple ID to keep things separate across various machines.

I use my Apple ID on my MBA, MBP, iPhone, ATVs. My wife and daughter use theirs on their MBA and iPhone.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmmm, it asked for my ID before I could even start it. Can I change it after the fact or do I need to wipe it and try to start from scratch?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to Settings and the top most entry is your Apple ID. Click on it, scroll to the bottom on the right and select Sign Out. Now sign back in with your own Apple ID (or create one if you don't have one) and you won't see anything from the other Apple ID on this iPad.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Verification failed. 🤷 oh well. It wasn't that expensive, I'll give it to the school or something. I'm sure some 5th grader can figure it out. Thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You give up too easily. Do a full reset and start over. Given you want it totally autonomous, that's how you do that. Or, if you don't want ANY connectivity, put it in Airplane mode and it's just a nice, isolated, tablet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Follow the rules for transfer to a new owner, and then when you restart, add or create your own ID.

JesseMorrison

Reaction score
Is there a way to still be connected to the same Apple ID as on another device, but have separate data? I'll explain :) . I have an iPad which is connected to my brothers Apple ID, I generally don't mind about this, but every time he installs an app it also installs on my iPad, can I stop this.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You give up too easily. Do a full reset and start over. Given you want it totally autonomous, that's how you do that. Or, if you don't want ANY connectivity, put it in Airplane mode and it's just a nice, isolated, tablet.
Follow the rules for transfer to a new owner, and then when you restart, add or create your own ID.

I did a full reset, and it sorta worked. New Apple ID, phone#, address, etc ...... I don't see any files from the other devices, BUT all of sudden it started downloading photos from iCloud and there was nothing I could do to stop the transfer. I don't even USE iCloud, but there they are, 1500 pictures from 10 years ago. If I delete them from this iPad will they be deleted from the cloud as well? Now they are taking up valuable storage space. I went with a 64 gig unit because I had no intentions of ever saving anything, and I NEVER use the cloud for ANYTHING, and now, a full 1/3 of my storage is used up.

Is there a way to batch delete 1500 photos. Is there a way to delete the icloud account ?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a way to still be connected to the same Apple ID as on another device, but have separate data? I'll explain :) . I have an iPad which is connected to my brothers Apple ID, I generally don't mind about this, but every time he installs an app it also installs on my iPad, can I stop this.
No, because they are not separate. You are using a single account on multiple devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I did a full reset, and it sorta worked. New Apple ID, phone#, address, etc ...... I don't see any files from the other devices, BUT all of sudden it started downloading photos from iCloud and there was nothing I could do to stop the transfer. I don't even USE iCloud, but there they are, 1500 pictures from 10 years ago. If I delete them from this iPad will they be deleted from the cloud as well? Now they are taking up valuable storage space. I went with a 64 gig unit because I had no intentions of ever saving anything, and I NEVER use the cloud for ANYTHING, and now, a full 1/3 of my storage is used up.

Is there a way to batch delete 1500 photos. Is there a way to delete the icloud account ?
The only way Photos can sync from iCloud is if it is logged into the same AppleID as the photos were used to put them in the iCloud space in the first place. You said "New Apple ID," but was it really new, or an old one from, say, 10 years ago? If it is the latter, that's why the images are coming down. You logged back into that AppleID again.

Deleting them on the phone will delete them from iCloud. That's how it works. However, you can go into Settings, tap your name where it says "Apple ID" and look for an option to turn off iCloud sync. You havent' say what version of iPadOS is on the iPad, and the exact wording/location has moved over time, but it should be there. Once sync is off, you can delete the photos from the iPad. When you do that, they go into a "deleted" folder for 30 days, but once you get them all there, you can go there and force delete them permanently.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well ……… definitely a new Apple ID. When activating the new iPad, I gave a fake name, fake address, even a different phone number. it wasn’t an old ID, that was the only one I’ve ever had. The only thing the same is the IP address. I’ve never even owned an iPhone. The software version is 17.4

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@hempomatic

Leaving aside the Apple ID business just for the moment. Deleting 1500 images from your iPhone is....well...a nightmare and will exhaust your goodwill towards others as well as driving you mad :)

So, don't try to do it manually. This works:

Attach your iPhone to your Mac. Once connected, open Image Capture app found in Applications. You should see your iPhone listed on the left. Click on it.

Now, Click on the first (or any) picture. With that picture highlighted, use Command plus A which will highlight ALL your pics.

Now, Right Click on any pic and from the options, choose Delete, then Delete All. This will delete all your pics/videos etc. It will take time, but you can clear off and do whatever you want. I once had to delete 19 thousand pics/videos. That took about 6 hours if I recall correctly; so 1500 shouldn't take too long.

NB. You have to take into consideration what Jake wisely said about "iCloud". He gave you two options: deleting from iPhone AND iCloud or just from your iPhone (which requires that you turn OFF iCloud Sync).

Ian

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I started the iPad for the first time, I was unaware that it would share content with anything using my Apple ID and did not want to share data or downloaded programs wife my wife's iPad. I followed the recommendations here from you guys and started from scratch. I went to the Reset iPad setting and chose Erase all content and settings. I chose an ID and password, phone number and address that I have never used for anything before ever. After everything was reset and I started the network, it immediately began downloading the pictures from iCloud.

I now have iCloud sync turned off. I assume therefore that any pictures I delete locally will not be deleted on iCloud?

Also, you guys keep saying iPhone not iPad. Are they functionally identical or am I spinning my wheels here yet again?

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A HA !! I think I MAY have found the common denominator. I used my wife's phone number on my iPad, and she used that phone number when she was setting up her iPad. Does iCloud think I'm HER? Sigh ....... it's not always easy being stupid.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I assume therefore that any pictures I delete locally will not be deleted on iCloud?

Correct.

Also, you guys keep saying iPhone not iPad. Are they functionally identical or am I spinning my wheels here yet again?

The Actions are the same. They are both iDevices and both run the same iOS. Obviously the version of the iOS determines what the Device can/cannot do.

My apologies for using iPhone instead of iPad, but my suggestions apply to both iDevices. So, no worries!

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A HA !! I think I MAY have found the common denominator. I used my wife's phone number on my iPad, and she used that phone number when she was setting up her iPad. Does iCloud think I'm HER? Sigh ....... it's not always easy being stupid.

Seems so.

I wouldn't worry about being stupid. Lots of politicians achieve high office with such.:LOL:

Ian

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct.

The Actions are the same. They are both iDevices and both run the same iOS. Obviously the version of the iOS determines what the Device can/cannot do.

My apologies for using iPhone instead of iPad,

Ian

😆 No need to apologize, I'm just easily confused.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.