• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The train wreck that is Twitter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Musk doesn't have to make "an iPhone killer." He just has to make a phone good enough to be competitive, offer superior privacy and put Twitter on it as a default app, create connectivity to Starlink, the SpaceX array of satellites, etc. The idea is not to drive Apple from the mobile phone business, but to cut into their sales enough to hurt. There are enough Twitter users who would make the switch to make it a possibility.

I would never underestimate Mr. Musk. He's clever and persistent. Read his bio someday. He's eccentric, but has a very, very sharp mind.

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Musk doesn't have to make "an iPhone killer." He just has to make a phone good enough to be competitive, offer superior privacy and put Twitter on it as a default app, create connectivity to Starlink, the SpaceX array of satellites, etc. The idea is not to drive Apple from the mobile phone business, but to cut into their sales enough to hurt. There are enough Twitter users who would make the switch to make it a possibility.

I would never underestimate Mr. Musk. He's clever and persistent. Read his bio someday. He's eccentric, but has a very, very sharp mind.
Wish it were that easy..

Twitter has about 200 million active users..

iPhone as about 1 billion users and Android has about 2.5 billion users.

Even if half of the twitter user base decides to switch, it's pretty stupid to do it just for one app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Twitter has been struggling with being stale for some time. The founder knew it was going the way of mySpace for a while now. One of twitter's strengths, was it's verification system, allowing official agencies such as governments, companies, utilities etc etc to communicate to a wide base of users when needed (not just advertising...) Unfortunately, in all of Musk's cleverness, he has completely blown a hole right through this. What twitter's real downfall will be, is when these agencies etc begin to flee. If that happens, and it might with this verification debacle may set off, twitter is done. Half the major advertisers have pulled back, and I think right now it's a wait and see game as to whether he has the ability to right the ship. Musk etc have tried to make this about free speech, and I don't think this will sway advertisers, or a lot of users at this point. My personal opinion, is, Musk will either realize this is a lost battle and turn it around, or he won't. My guess is, not. But time will tell.

Didn't Facebook suggest it might make it's own phone as well? I don't think any platform would successful with this based on one platform, particularly one that's dying. There's too many new ones TikTok and more that will relegate twitter to the delete bin before that happens.

Maybe Musk and Zuck and join forces...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Turns out Muskrat was full of baloney, not only about Apple cutting advertising on Twitter but also his claim that Apple might pull Twitter off the App Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023 14" MBP M2 Max 32GB RAM 2TB OS 13.3
Finally Twitter is worth considering to be used after all this drama and inside scandal collusion with the government has been uncovered, as if nobody knew that was happening. Since he first suggested buying the platform and it was accepted this is exactly what I was patiently waiting for. Maybe CNN would like to check in some presidential tweets every now and then to make up some headlines so they get ratings again lol. It only gets better from here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.