• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Snow Leopard coming in Q1 2009?

Reaction score
It's only ever worth waiting for hardware.. not OS's.. they are always late :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
Snow Leopard

Where did you see this at?

No one knows that answer because Snow Leopard isn't released yet - and any rumors of release date are just that - rumors. Even still, no you did fine. - if you want to upgrade, it shouldn't be a problem. And if the existing OS sold you on the machine, I don't see that changing even after a newer version comes out.

Sorry for the late reply guys i have been very busy with the christmas rush on all the new apple laptops.
i work for a authorized apple reseller and have 4 certified techs that give me information about new things and what is in the pipeline. one of our techs has a copy of 10.6 snow leopard for developer purposes. this version is only for intel and the PPC component has been removed it will only work on intel machines we tried to install on a PPC and it does not work !!!!!! it is designed for full 64 bit with macbook pro and mac pro machines and macbook runs at 32 bit .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The lack of PPC support in a developer build is proof of nothing when it comes to the final version. All it proves is that the developer build does not have PPC support. We'll have to wait for an official announcement by Apple before we can say with any authority that PPC support has been pulled.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The lack of PPC support in a developer build is proof of nothing when it comes to the final version. All it proves is that the developer build does not have PPC support. We'll have to wait for an official announcement by Apple before we can say with any authority that PPC support has been pulled.

Agreed. With Apple, anything is possible. I wouldn't write-off PPC hardware just yet based on this alone. The G5s still compare very well to the x86 machines.

Reaction score
I'd like to see Snow Leopard come with new drivers/software for Bootcamp users so that we could get some improvement while using our macs in Windows.
Just something that gives us a little bit more but I have no idea how easy it would be to put in or whether Apple has even thought about improving Bootcamp.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What kind of improvement are you looking for? My hardware works fine in Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
What kind of improvement are you looking for? My hardware works fine in Windows.

The unibody notebooks have issues with their trackpads, even after the update that apple put out recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Have there been any recent developments as to the release of Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
I was just thinking that with enhancements coming to Snow Leopard, maybe some of them could be put into Bootcamp. I seem to remember Snow Leopard was going to be optimised for multi-core so maybe some of the technology from this could go into Windows? I will agree that Bootcamp is brilliant and works perfectly just could do with less documentation as you only need three pages of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
What price do you consider affordable? My school had a sale on CS3 towards the beginning of school for 400 dollars. It was the master collection with student licensing though. CS4 is more or less the same except it's like 500 dollars with the same licensing.

That is a $2500 program. That is not a deal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a $2500 program. That is not a deal?

I saw the same deal at my school and was really amazed. I cant believe Adobe can sell those programs for such a big price difference. I just dont know if you weren't a student or a Professional if it would be possible to afford their programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
Cs4

I saw the same deal at my school and was really amazed. I cant believe Adobe can sell those programs for such a big price difference. I just dont know if you weren't a student or a Professional if it would be possible to afford their programs.
this is a little off the mark for a snow leopard discussion. But the EDU versions of CS4 are a great price because they want you to learn and then in future purchase the more expansive versions. As the EDU version is not upgradeable to the full version you would have to purchase the whole suite or the whole program you desire for a second time actually costing you more in the long run ....

Reaction score

How about the ability to switch platforms without rebooting?

I got tired of having to reboot and I got Parallels. Being as I'm new to Mac, I bought the support package. I had to get transferred to a different level tech to ask about removing boot camp. She seemed very interested in wanting to know why I would prefer a third party software. I explained that I didn't like to have to reboot.

Maybe they got enough feedback now that they will be able to do it. It would be sweet if you could just hit command something and have windows come up.

As far as other post I have read about the speed and such, heck it's so much quicker then loading my old PC I would never know that it could be even faster.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about the ability to switch platforms without rebooting?

While I certainly understand where you're coming from, I think this belies the nature of Boot Camp. Boot Camp is simply a set of drivers and an assistant program that allows you to install Windows DIRECTLY on a secondary partition so that you can dual-boot two operating systems. It's not a program that runs on a Mac per se, as much as it is an avenue to make it easier to install Windows on your hardware platform (I'm leaving out the word "Mac" intentionally, since Windows runs natively when installed via Boot Camp). So, in effect you can either start up under one operating system or the other - but not both.

If you need the ability to switch operating systems with ease or to run them both simultaneously, then you would need to run Windows within a program that runs on concurrently with Mac OS - and there are quite a few options to do so. Between Parallels and VMWare Fusion, not to mention the open source "Virtual Box" from Sun, there are myriad options to choose from.

A lot of people fail to differentiate between Mac OS (the operating system) and the hardware platform itself (x86), which are two components of the Macintosh platform. In reality, there is nothing very special about the underlying hardware platform. All Intel-based Macs are really just run-of-the-mill PC hardware wrapped in very nice packaging. It's the OS that sets the platform apart from the herd. And when you run Windows as installed by Boot Camp, you're simply running Windows on that hardware platform just as you would on any other PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Umm actually I don't see much happening to Boot Camp in Snow Leopard. Cause it's not their worry. Not their job to bug fix for Microsoft. All they can do is make sure the installation of windows (OS X side) is smooth and error free.

And I agree with the above. Apples are just very smooth looking PCs. But their OS and how it works so well with the hardware is what sets it apart.

If windows doesn't run well for you, blame MS not Apple. They made windows. We're just using their product on our computers.

Reaction score
If windows doesn't run well for you, blame MS not Apple. They made windows. We're just using their product on our computers.

I never said anything about blaming Mac for Window's performance. Matter of fact I had no problems with bootcamp install of Windows.

The problems I had was with Parallel. But here's why I think Mac should make an effort to make it work more smoothly with Windows:

I mentioned previously I was "new" to Mac. Not entirely true, I'm a returnee but I hadn't had a Mac since 1997. My wife, who is a manager of an IT department had me switch to Windows.

With Mac's comeback my desire to go back to Mac increased. I talked on line to sales people and found out that Mac could easily handle Windows programs. That's true, but I was under the impression that would happen seamlessly. When I say seamless that didn't include a reboot.

I don't think I was "mislead" nor do I feel that I'm not satisfied with my purchase. I think their sales people however should have been a bit more clear on how it works.

I also feel they need to be careful about some of their claims, i.e. "Mac will work with any printer." Wrong. I seemed to have the one printer that it didn't work with. To their credit when I called and complained about this they gave me 100.00 towards a new printer.

FWIW, my desire is to get away from Windows all together, however my wife will never convert. I currently carry 2 programs on Windows. Money and TiVo Playlist which keeps track of how much disk space I have on my two TiVo's. My wife bought me a copy of Windows for Mac and I refused to install it. That got her P.O.'d because it was a "gift" but I told her no Microsoft products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I guess the overall answer to this thread is no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
My wife bought me a copy of Windows for Mac and I refused to install it. That got her P.O.'d because it was a "gift" but I told her no Microsoft products.

What is this Windows for Mac product you speak of?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never said anything about blaming Mac for Window's performance. Matter of fact I had no problems with bootcamp install of Windows.

The problems I had was with Parallel. But here's why I think Mac should make an effort to make it work more smoothly with Windows:

Apple does not make Parallels. They have nothing to do with it's development or smoothness. That is up to the company who makes Parallels.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mentioned previously I was "new" to Mac. Not entirely true, I'm a returnee but I hadn't had a Mac since 1997. My wife, who is a manager of an IT department had me switch to Windows.

Interesting how different IT people react to Microsoft. In my experience, those of us who have been working around Microsoft products for a long time generally have some disdain for Windows. Maybe it's limited to those of us with a background in multiple operating systems. Personally, before I got into Microsoft network administration, I was an Amiga user, so I've always been cognizant of other platforms, whereas a lot of my peers have a single-minded focus on Windows.

I had long consider the Mac to be a joke - I always felt that out of all the computer companies that were in the game in the 80's, Apple least deserved to survive. But when they launched OS X, that all changed for me. Unfortunately there are a lot of short-sighted IT people out there that continue with the unwarranted bashing. OS X, and it's predecessor, Nexstep have always been fundamentally superior to Windows in terms of architecture.

I would encourage your wife to be more open minded - if not to OS X, certainly she should become acquainted with Linux (which in turn may give her a comfort level with OS X, since it's based on another UNIX-like OS called FreeBSD). Linux, in my opinion is the future of datacenter computing. As Microsoft becomes increasingly irrelevant for lack of a scalable kernel and draconian licensing schemes and DRM, Linux will continue to gain ground in the datacenter. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time.

Sorry to get so far OT, folks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.