• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Snow Leopard coming in Q1 2009?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
the Apple Representative there told me that they were seriously thinking about letting 'Snow Leopard' be a free update

I call BS. Seeing that Apple charges us for everything (over charges is more like it) it would be dumb to let this be free especially since so many Apple users are willing to pay. I hope I'm wrong but I seriously doubt it will be free. From a business standpoint what would they gain from making this free??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
I just bought my new macbook about 2 weeks ago at best buy, and the Apple Representative there told me that they were seriously thinking about letting 'Snow Leopard' be a free update because it wasn't going to be that big of a deal; Just add more business features, such as Exchange improvements. Thats just what i heard.

Considering how little Apple tells the people that work in any of the stores, I would highly doubt he would even be privy to such information.

Reaction score
What is the rnage of Q1 2009. As, I am going to be a senior in college in 2009 (a junior now) and i wanted to get a new macbook now but i cannot afford selling my macbook pro to get a new macbook (i have a core duo macbook, one of the "older generations" and want a smaller laptop as well as the new ram and such but cannot afford it so i am waiting) and this may be a good time (once snow leopard comes out) to grab a new macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4 GB/ 120 GB HDD/ 250 GB External HD
I've had my Macbook for almost a year now. I want to get some more RAM but aside from that I am really happy with its performance. I think I might pass on Snow Leopard and wait for the version after to upgrade. Are there any real announcements about 7 yet? I am in college and can't afford to upgrade, especially since a lot of the upgrades seem minor. Can I go straight from five to seven if I choose to do that later?

Reaction score
Well i want to get into flash (animation stuff) a littel but not greatly, but maybe some photoshop definitily, and i will like to run linux and windows parallel systems at once and i could use faster/more ram which i can't hv emore than 2 on a core duo macbook pro (as far as i know anyways) so that is why i would want a new macbook along with the now "normal" graphics cards in them instead of fully integrated, and higher ram capacity and DDR3 as well as a smaller laptop, and snow leopard would really be an excuse to shell out the money for one. haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Snow Leopard has been in the making for awhile. I don't actually know if I need it though. I hope they add a lot of compatibility to it, because there are a lot of things that aren't compatible with Macs like my digital camera for example, and my video camera. I wish those would work with it, and a lot of third party hardware.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Snow Leopard has been in the making for awhile. I don't actually know if I need it though. I hope they add a lot of compatibility to it, because there are a lot of things that aren't compatible with Macs like my digital camera for example, and my video camera. I wish those would work with it, and a lot of third party hardware.

Well, to be fair, Apple doesn't write drivers for third party hardware (generally). They do include drivers for many popular printers, but otherwise, your best bet is to purchase third party products that advertise Mac compatibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Base Model MacBook (White from early 2008)
I hope Apple makes it a free update. I heard rumors of this on the Macworld podcast, and it makes sense. I probably won't upgrade my OS (and spend $130) just so I can upgrade my RAM. Upgrade so I can upgrade? This all costs money, something I don't have much of. I think it would be foolish of Apple NOT to make it an update. Just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people would spend that money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I hope Apple makes it a free update. I heard rumors of this on the Macworld podcast, and it makes sense. I probably won't upgrade my OS (and spend $130) just so I can upgrade my RAM. Upgrade so I can upgrade? This all costs money, something I don't have much of. I think it would be foolish of Apple NOT to make it an update. Just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people would spend that money.

What are you talking about? Snow Leopard is being touted as being faster than Leopard on the same hardware. You don't need to upgrade any hardware to run 10.6.

And it's a new OS iteration that Apple's programmers have worked hard on, so it's highly unlikely that it'll be a free update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I'm sorry. I was misinformed. The way I had heard it, snow leopard allows up to 16TB of RAM. Doesn't that involve upgrading? (A lot of upgrading!) My understanding is that, other than Exchange support, Snow Leopard will allow super fast-computers. However, wouldn't getting 16TB of RAM involve upgrading RAM? Excuse me if I'm sounding like an idiot, but maybe I don't get it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What part of allowing means requiring? Leopard is capable of supporting several TB of memory as well, but that hasn't forced everyone to do massive memory upgrades.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Upgrading to 16 TB of RAM by todays prices would cost $335,840.

And yes, you WILL have to upgrade to 16 TB of RAM in order to run Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Haha, that was great ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What part of allowing means requiring? Leopard is capable of supporting several TB of memory as well, but that hasn't forced everyone to do massive memory upgrades.

That's not really what I meant. What I meant was, if the huge RAM was the only thing new that Snow Leopard would bring, then there's no point in getting it unless you're going to upgrade. Leopard was feature filled, that's why so many people bought it. Snow Leopard is going to be a HUGE innovation, sure, but I don't think that many people need 16TB of RAM. (Maybe people who are seriously into photo/video, but I don't think the average user).

Reaction score
I think the main candy of Snow Leopard, is that it will be a "redesign" of OS X to make performance and stability etc. better. The internal parts of the computer that are not as easily seen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
Yeah, Snow Leopard's only feature is not allowing for 16TB, it's more about optimizing the entire operating system under the hood for smoother and more error-free computing.

I'm still interested in that facial recognition patent someone posted about Apple a while back. The one where it could tell if you're frustrated from the iSight and then pop-up a help dialogue, etc. I'm pretty positive that isn't going to be included though or if we even hear of it again.

Reaction score
is there any true Month schedule when Snow Leopard will come out. As well, does anyone know a estimated price range on it, or is everything still speculative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

i bet all adobe programs would open instantly with all that ram.. lol:Smirk:

is there any true Month schedule when Snow Leopard will come out. As well, does anyone know a estimated price range on it, or is everything still speculative?

and when isnt everything still speculation no one knows for sure anything.. apple got clamps on their workers mouths or something.. nothing ever gets out... :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
all that Ram would be nice but isn't needed for the average user. It will be optimized and more streamlined so, in theory, it should consumer less power? So battery life would be better? And, I hear it will be "faster"....but what is that being compared to? Will it have the "amazing" speed of Tiger?? Just asking ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.