Share your Snow Leopard Experience/Concerns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Aluminum Macbook!
sat at a blue screen with a cursor for quite a while before I decided to powercycle reboot the machine. It seems to be ok, and checked the disk and permissions and all appears to be running well.

I also had this after the installation was complete, it sat at the screen for maybe 20-30 seconds, I just figured maybe first boot it was doing its THING! haha

Anyways, I'm also really happy with the SL upgrade on my aluminum macbook... The installation does not take 15 minutes, I thought I read that somewhere, it was more like 30-40 minutes.

Everyone's talking about selecting this and that, what do you mean? I popped in the CD, the folder opened and I double clicked on Install Mac OSX.. At first I was worried maybe I did a full sweep of the computer since it was taking so long but everything is still in place.

Snow Leopard is NOTICEABLY faster, everything from opening Safari, to opening iTunes, anything, is just faster and responds a lot quicker. I haven't had the time to dive in and see what's different yet besides the response time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Install has gone fine on a Rev B MBA, Late 2008 MBP and a 3,1 Mac Mini. Had to reinstall applejack. iStat menus doesn't work. Other than that, no issues.

Reaction score
Snow leopard Install's

Hello all I just thought i would start this thread for the few of us that have installed Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I also had this after the installation was complete, it sat at the screen for maybe 20-30 seconds, I just figured maybe first boot it was doing its THING! haha

It's possible I didn't wait long enough, but I had it at blue screen for between 5 and 10 minutes before I power cycled. Hopefully I didn't screw up the system, BUT everything *appears* to be running ok.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged duplicate thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
For what it's worth.. sitting past the 'complete' splash screen.. slow IML after a system OS update.. both completely normal.

Reaction score
Rtfm!

Read the Frigging Manual! It's clearly posted in all the documentation, but I was blinded by the shiny lights and cute snowy leopard in all the pictures.

SL supports MS Exchange 2007 integration, but not my institutions legacy MS Exchange 2003 Server. Was hoping Mail would sync friendly like my iPhone, but alas. Will probably have to wait for Outlook for Mac. Any other work around suggestions would be welcomed. Institutions help desk is completely entrenched in MS and won't support or even talk about anything to do with Mac. I've tried Entourage and hated it.

Still exploring the changes, but SL install proceeded without a hitch. Nice! Shiny! New toys!

Reaction score
What ever!!!!!

Someone........Im guessing the moderator deleted my post. I feel kinda ............ O well I Am a farmer not a computer Geek! But....... I am not gonna let his Obsessive compulsive organizational disorder keep me from sharing my experience. So..........

It was a seamless install. After install i lost Frostwire. The computer seems much faster on startup and shutdown. Other then that i can not tell a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
-My employer's 2007 Exchange server is working with iCal and Mail.
-For MBA owners who use CoolBookController.app, you need to download the Snow Leopard update for version 2.15. Uninstall the pervious version and reboot to load the driver, then re-enter your activation code and re-enter your settings - works fine.
-ClickToFlash needs to be updated to 1.5fc2 to work with Snow Leopard - it works great.
-iStat Menu's is coming out with a v2.0 which hasn't released yet... there is a beta floating around out there which is by all reports stable, but the link to download it is thus far eluding me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Im the only one hating the new expose and the way it arranges windows now? a grid? seriously?
It's much better than lining like applications up side by side. The old way left like-windows unreadable and indiscernible.

Reaction score
I upgraded to Snow Leopard and I've lost VPN usage and my machine is no longer recognized on my companies system. I've read that Cisco users should upgrade to version (0180), but its the weekend and I don't have access to the IT to get it for me. Login at Cisco is required.

Firefox is very slow opening.

iTunes opens quickly.

If I can't figure out the VPN issue then I'm downgrading in order to be productive with work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I upgraded to Snow Leopard and I've lost VPN usage and my machine is no longer recognized on my companies system. I've read that Cisco users should upgrade to version (0180), but its the weekend and I don't have access to the IT to get it for me. Login at Cisco is required.

Firefox is very slow opening.

iTunes opens quickly.

If I can't figure out the VPN issue then I'm downgrading in order to be productive with work.

If you think Snow Leopard is much better than Leopard (I'm not sure if you do), couldn't you partition your HD and have one partition for SL, and one for Leopard (so you could use your VPN)?

Reaction score
Interesting solution, but not a solution for me.

I'm working on using the internal VPN tool of Snow Leopard to find out if I can get VPN access to the corporate network. I'll update if I'm successful.

(Update)

I was able to get Snow Leopard's Cisco IPSec VPN to work. I cracked the Cisco shared secret PW by opening .pcf file in textedit and finding the algorithm on the net to decrypt. I was able to finally get it working without updating the Cisco VPN client. Mail, iCal and Address book synced with Microsoft server 2007 once VPN started working. All appears to be working fine.

Firefox is working faster.

Reaction score
It's much better than lining like applications up side by side. The old way left like-windows unreadable and indiscernible.

I think i've found whats bugging me.

Expose arranges windows according on how they are aligned from left to right.

First screen is how i have my desktop now, second one is what happens when i invoke expose:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/833765/Random/Screen shot 2009-08-28 at 10.53.38 PM.jpg

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/833765/Random/Screen shot 2009-08-28 at 10.53.51 PM.jpg

See how the current active window (Safari) ends up in a totally unexpected place.

If i move my safari window to the left edge of the screen,

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/833765/Random/Screen shot 2009-08-28 at 10.58.26 PM.jpg

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/833765/Random/Screen shot 2009-08-28 at 10.58.30 PM.jpg

Expose works as it supposed to work. I now can easily pick what window i was working with, and move on to look for the one i was looking for in the first place.

It may seem like i may be overreacting, but it isn't really working for me ATM, and expose has come to play a major role in my daily workflow. Its been my second day with SL so maybe i just need to get used to, but as it is now its kinda counterproductive.

EDIT: reading my post again i think i found the key phrase, "I now can easily pick what window i was working with, and move on to look for the one i was looking for in the first place.".

Another example without screenies, i have a finder window over all that mess i just showed you. Its sitting on the lower right corner of the screen, expose and it moves it all the way to the lower LEFT corner of the screen. I cant be looking around where my active window went, doesn't make sense to me.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
EDIT: reading my post again i think i found the key phrase, "I now can easily pick what window i was working with, and move on to look for the one i was looking for in the first place.".

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. If I'm using expose to find a particular window, I'm looking for the one I want. I'm not looking to find the one I just had open before beginning my search.

They had to pick something to tell expose how to arrange all the windows.
This is little like nitpicking that they didn't do what you would have done in this one example.

Reaction score
not correct

As far as the inside information...maybe I do, maybe I don't!;D

As far as the $169 10.6 Mac Box set. Of course my logic makes sense. Not only are Tiger users encouraged to buy the "10.6 box set"...they MUST purchase it because it contains the "full install DVD" of 10.6!!! If someone does not have 10.5 install disks...then they must purchase the "10.6 Box Set"

The $29.95 "10.6" is an "updater" disk...NOT a full install.

Again...there are two main paths to OS 10.6:

1. If you're a 10.4 user...then you need to purchase the $169 10.6 Box Set.
2. If you're a 10.5 user...then all you need to purchase is the $29.95 10.6 update disk.

Of course if you're a 10.5 user, and you want the full install of 10.6 + iLife 09 + iWork 09...then these folks could buy the $169 10.6 Box Set as well.

Finally...if you're a 10.4 user...you could purchase 10.5 @ $129 + 10.6 upgrade disk @ $29.95 which comes to roughly $160 bucks.

Surprise, surprise that's only $9.00 cheaper than the 10.6 Mac Box Set...so of course folks are going to buy the box set instead...because if you go this route...you're basically getting iWork & iLife 09 for just $9.00 more!!!

Disagree if you want...but on Friday or Saturday when folks start getting their 10.6 items...you will see that I was correct back on Tuesday!;D

- Nick

I just instilled 10.6 on tiger. with no problem and that is from 29.95. and i can also conformed that it is a full version, by clicking about this mac from the apple symbol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just instilled 10.6 on tiger. with no problem and that is from 29.95. and i can also conformed that it is a full version, by clicking about this mac from the apple symbol.

Oolu,

That was a post of mine earlier this week before we knew what the exact details of the 10.6 Snow Leopard launch today!

Yes...the $29 dollar 10.6 disk will upgrade a computer running OS 10.4...but it is NOTlegal to do it!!!

If you want to legally upgrade a computer running OS 10.4...you MUST purchase the $169 10.6 Mac Box Set!

- Nick

Reaction score
just to let you all know. i just instilled 10.6 on tiger with know problem, and that is from the 29.96. and i can conformed to you it is a full version, by clicking about this mac from the apple symbol .

Reaction score
know place on apple website that says it is NOTlegal, if you do found a place on apple website that says NOTlegal send me the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.