Share your Snow Leopard Experience/Concerns

Reaction score
upgrading to snow leopard with windows xp already installed

I currently run mac os X and I am about to do an upgrade to snow leopard. I have windows XP running on another partition of my MacBook Pro. When I do the upgrade, will my windows XP OS or any files in it be effected?

In the upgrade I will have to run boot camp, will I need to do any tweaking to my windows XP OS to access the OS?

Thanx for your help.

gianlucaP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I currently run mac os X and I am about to do an upgrade to snow leopard. I have windows XP running on another partition of my MacBook Pro. When I do the upgrade, will my windows XP OS or any files in it be effected?

In the upgrade I will have to run boot camp, will I need to do any tweaking to my windows XP OS to access the OS?

Thanx for your help.

gianlucaP

You will be okay with windows, it will not be touched by the upgrade.

Reaction score
I orginally upgraded to SL from Leopard, but discovered that several of my applications were crashing, so I performed a clean install. Since then, no issues what so ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, after another try with snow leopard, I have once again gone back to 10.5. I have been having some compatibility problems, and have not wanted to keep on bugging you guys every time with a new problem. I, just like last time I downgraded from SL, have concluded that OSX 10.5.8(not sure if there is a newer one) is PERFECT on my computer!
Here are the problem I have had with SL.
  1. Freezes when waking up
  2. Istats not compatible
  3. Some programs need to be reopened after waking up from sleep(especially the ones running in the system prefs(steermouse, geektool, and growl))
  4. Battery seems to drain a lot faster
  5. Firefox is UNBELIEVABLY SLOW!!!
  6. wireless stops working
  7. Bowtie didn't work...I couldn't stand it not working
  8. Bluetooth kept on freezing, and when it did, all the things running on the menu up there also froze(clock, sound, wireless, battery icon...everything)

I tried hard to get everything to work. It just didn't work consistently at all! I upgraded all the programs, and worked on it for more than a week, but then called it quits. I hate asking for help all the time, I will try SL some other time. I kept my backup untouched just for this reason, and I'm happy I did so. Good luck to the rest of you! Everything is SO consistent with my setup now, and I'm really happy with it! It's just the thing in me that wants to have the newest of whatever is out there, but you know that isn't always going to be the best...right away at least.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So, after another try with snow leopard, I have once again gone back to 10.5. I have been having some compatibility problems, and have not wanted to keep on bugging you guys every time with a new problem. I, just like last time I downgraded from SL, have concluded that OSX 10.5.8(not sure if there is a newer one) is PERFECT on my computer!
Here are the problem I have had with SL.
  1. Freezes when waking up
  2. Istats not compatible
  3. Some programs need to be reopened after waking up from sleep(especially the ones running in the system prefs(steermouse, geektool, and growl))
  4. Battery seems to drain a lot faster
  5. Firefox is UNBELIEVABLY SLOW!!!
  6. wireless stops working
  7. Bowtie didn't work...I couldn't stand it not working
  8. Bluetooth kept on freezing, and when it did, all the things running on the menu up there also froze(clock, sound, wireless, battery icon...everything)

I tried hard to get everything to work. It just didn't work consistently at all! I upgraded all the programs, and worked on it for more than a week, but then called it quits. I hate asking for help all the time, I will try SL some other time. I kept my backup untouched just for this reason, and I'm happy I did so. Good luck to the rest of you! Everything is SO consistent with my setup now, and I'm really happy with it! It's just the thing in me that wants to have the newest of whatever is out there, but you know that isn't always going to be the best...right away at least.:)

Did you DL the 10.6.2 combo update? The larger file (479mb) found here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I sure did, that's the download that made me try SL again. I will wait until another update comes about...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I sure did, that's the download that made me try SL again. I will wait until another update comes about...

Did you do a clean install or just an update ? So far it seems to me that those whom have simply updated are the ones running into problems, while those whom have done a clean install are all good. My self included in the latter.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Did you do a clean install or just an update ? So far it seems to me that those whom have simply updated are the ones running into problems, while those whom have done a clean install are all good. My self included in the latter.

Doug

That may be for some, but not for me. I only did the SL upgrade from Leopard 10.5.8 and it went smoothly. Haven't had any issues yet. Closest thing to an "issue" was about a week ago when I noticed my cursor wouldn't change to a hand when I moved it over a link on a web page or in an e-mail. Later I discovered it was because I had Yahoo! open on another tab. Still can't explain why, but as long as Yahoo! isn't open everything is as it should be. As soon as I close the tab or the window running Yahoo! the cursor thing goes back to normal. Weird, huh? But not necessarily caused by SL.

Sorry to hear some are still unhappy with SL. Hope everything gets cleared up soon for those individuals. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When Leopard first came out, we had the EXACT same kinds of threads and experiences. Over time, things settled down - and I doubt it had much to do with Apple's upgrades, since Leopard had been rock solid for me once it hit 10.5.2. I think much of it has to do with third party applications that still haven't been updated for the latest release.

I also found that some settings I was importing by way of the Migration Assistant (after having done a clean install) were at fault for some of my issues (namely Network Utility crashing). Once I did a selective import, things went a lot smoother - that, and adding the right exceptions to Spotlight indexing. Initially I blamed Paragon, but it was actually MDS (the Spotlight indexing service) that was my problem.

Oh, and idrin - not sure what you're referring to with iStat. iStat was one of the first applications updated for SL. I beta tested it and am running the production version just fine on 10.6 (both the Dashboard app and iStat Menus).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I beta tested it and am running the production version just fine on 10.6 (both the Dashboard app and iStat Menus).

I actually meant to say "istat menus", not the istat "pro" that runs on the dashboard. The istat pro ran perfectly, but the istat menus didn't run at all.
Why would I do a clean install when the upgrade is meant to be used as an upgrade? Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
whatever, I got 3 days off....might as well try it.

And also, if I do upgrade again to sl, and run into problems again, is there a kind enough soul out there to help me out with all the problems? I hate asking over and over again for help....
I actually did like a bunch of things in SL that are not on 10.5...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I actually meant to say "istat menus", not the istat "pro" that runs on the dashboard. The istat pro ran perfectly, but the istat menus didn't run at all.

Make sure you download the latest version. Older versions didn't work at all.

Why would I do a clean install when the upgrade is meant to be used as an upgrade? Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
whatever, I got 3 days off....might as well try it.

Yeah it does. But it was the same way with Leopard from Tiger. If you didn't do a clean install, there were all kinds of weird issues.

And also, if I do upgrade again to sl, and run into problems again, is there a kind enough soul out there to help me out with all the problems? I hate asking over and over again for help....
I actually did like a bunch of things in SL that are not on 10.5...

Absolutely. Start up a thread and point me in the right direction and I'll be happy to assist.

Reaction score
Like most people here - I have the beautiful box sitting in front of me and I am really hesitant.
The current feeling here in France is to install SL on an external bootable HHD and test it from there - if all your apps behave normally or better then OK stick it on the internal HDD of your Imac / Macbook.
As of writing I have not heard of any untowards shenanigans ( "issues" ) but will go the "external" route b4 taking the plunge.
cheers

Ozfrog

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Like most people here - I have the beautiful box sitting in front of me and I am really hesitant.
The current feeling here in France is to install SL on an external bootable HHD and test it from there - if all your apps behave normally or better then OK stick it on the internal HDD of your Imac / Macbook.
As of writing I have not heard of any untowards shenanigans ( "issues" ) but will go the "external" route b4 taking the plunge.
cheers

Ozfrog

Rather than that, I would suggest you create a bootable backup with SuperDuper! on the external and then proceed with the upgrade on the internal.

You'll spend 2 hours this way, 1 for the backup and 1 for the upgrade. The vast majority have had no issues with it.

Doing a clean install on a bootable external and re-installing all your apps and data, you've got a day or two worth of work ahead.

I'd take the 2 hours in the hopes of saving myself the 2 days.
If you do have problems, your current system is still bootable and takes only 1 more hour to restore back to the internal.

I took the route I'm suggesting. Booted up to a kernel panic and was unable to get into 10.6
Booted up to the external, checked the log, found the offending app, removed it's kext and was up in SL in another 10 minutes or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Nothing large or extraordinary, but I have noticed that for me, Photo Booth isn't as laggy (compared to PB in Leopard). Just thought I'de share to see if anyone else noticed.

Reaction score
I installed the upgrade to OS 10.6 from OS 10.5 last Dec. Everything was running smooth. Except that I noticed some features in SP were not showing on my computer. I brought my computer to Apple Genius Bar and they showed me that my computer still was running on OS 10.5.something. When I got home I tried to install the DVD again when after 4 hours it was still showing 9 min. remaining. I turned off my computer and now I lost everything. Is there a way for me to recover my data files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.