questons about Transmission and torrents

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Transmission: balancing d/l bandwidth

It seems if I have one download going at max d/l speed, the next torrent suffers lower speeds and doesn't reach max speed until the first one's done. Is there a way to balance these out so they both get the same speeds at all times?

Additionally, these two downloads - capped at 115k down and 25k up - immediately bog down my connection's ability to browse simple sites like CNN.com. How can I fix this?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Need something similar to Transmission

I'm getting the "HTTP status code 0" error so I need another client that'll handle it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2 GHZ, Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 80GB Internal HD, 500GB External
ERm...try bit torrent, uTorrent is going to be released sooon

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ERm...try bit torrent, uTorrent is going to be released sooon

Tried it, but now I'm getting a "message parsing failed" from BitTorrent. These errors only appear when downloading from the Pirate Bay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 GB RAM
I'm getting the "HTTP status code 0" error so I need another client that'll handle it.
I had that problem when I had transmission 1.40. I switched back to transmission 1.34 and never saw the "HTTP status code 0" error since.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just a note - Intel only at this stage of development.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.2 GHz 1 GB Ram, iBook G4 1.33 GHz 1 GB Ram, 16 gig White iPhone
ohhh....thanks for the heads up. although, i think i'm gonna wait for it to go out of beta. Transmission is still fine for me xD

might download it just for the heck of it ..... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Also requires OS 10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
yup, Transmission for me. It's so simple to use!

Reaction score
µTorrent finally available for Mac

Source: MacUser | Macworld

µTorrent finally available for Mac

Posted on Dec 2, 2008 2:41 am by Derik DeLong

* Category |
* Mac

After months and months of rumors and no application to use, µTorrent has come to Mac as a beta. A long time ago, I was desparate for this application to come to Mac, since we didn't have many good Bit Torrent client options. But in the meantime, we've gotten Transmission, so it wasn't as important.

That said, I'm still thrilled to see another Windows application make the transition. The big features of this particular client are small size, small memory footprint, fast speed, and a very strong feature set. We're not talking about a Vuze-style feature set (aka bloat) either, but about support for Bit Torrent features that will enhance your downloading (such as distributed hash tables and a torrent file watch folder).

Transmission fans may have trouble finding a compelling reason to switch to µTorrent, as similar priorities were involved in the development of both applications and it's evident in both the feature set and the user interface. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten a chance to kick the tires and take the beta application out for a spin quite yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Threads merged.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Transmission destroys my connection

I have my ports open and forwarded and yet whenever something is downloading in Transmission, images take minutes to load and browsing speed suffers. Why is this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's because Transmission is taking up all of your bandwidth. It's really no surprise since torrents have the potential to max out even the fastest of connections.

What you need to do is place limits on Transmission's download speeds so that there is some bandwidth left over for other things like browsing. Either that or just turn on Transmission when you're away from the computer like at night so that it can fully utilize the bandwidth but not bother you in the process.

Reaction score
I'll be sticking with Transmission, I still think it's better than uTorrent!

I have been a long time devotee to Transmisson but after using Utorrent I must say I prefer Utorrent as it seems to cope with downloads better resulting in a faster download. Transmission was the best before Utorrent for Mac came along, consider me a convert. Unfortunately I will have to keep using Transmission for existing files already half downloaded.
Give it Utorrent a go, you may be surprised.

No problems here. Downloaded 5 full movie files in 3 days. Not achievable with Transmission, even with ports open.

APL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB mem 320GB HD
Any ideas on why Transmission just sits there and will not download or upload, and an possible solutions or troubleshooting?

Situation: Im in Iraq and want some files and I use transmission to get them but it is not working out here. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Any ideas on why Transmission just sits there and will not download or upload, and an possible solutions or troubleshooting?

Situation: Im in Iraq and want some files and I use transmission to get them but it is not working out here. Any thoughts?

Maybe there are not enough people seeding/leeching the file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.