• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Price of Admission: America's College Debt Crisis CNBC 12-21-2010

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the kind words, Nick.

The reason for the branch switch (air force to army) is two-fold. First I am an Army brat (dad spent his career in service) so I was familiar with service life. Second, Airforce closed down ROTC at my school the semester I started so it was Army or nothing. :)

Ahh I see (branch switch). I wan't sure if after being in the USAF & attending college...if you would have been on the "older side" and were bumping up against the max. age for limit reenter as an officer in certain branches of the military.

I found this on the internet regarding max. ages:

"Under 10 U.S.C., 505:

The Department of Defense (DOD) allows services to set lower recruitment maximum ages, as follows:
Army 42
Army Reserves 42
Air Force 27
Air Force Reserve 34
Navy 34
Naval Reserves 39
Marines 28
Marine Corps Reserve 29
Coast Guard 27

Note that there are situations were older ages would be accepted. One is medical or JAG, where someone that has served on active duty would get that amount of time added on to the max age."

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh, I'm not going to deny that. That's why I researched all my AFSC's. I was originally Security Forces, but after talking to an E-9 (Chief Master Sergeant) I decided against it. I talked to people on base about the career fields I was interested in. I got first hand experience from Airmen in their job fields and I chose my jobs accordingly. I didn't get any of them on the list, but after going online, and e-mailing an active duty individual, my job seems like something I will at least be interested in. And that's half the battle. You have to like your job. Most people go in as Open General and get stuck in Security Forces (ok, not everyone, but a good majority). They hate it, because either a) their ASVAB scores were too low, b) they couldn't find a job they like, or c) they are the people whom you mentioned tired of dead end jobs, no education.

Hey that's some great research you have done...and every part I agree with!:) You certainly have done a heck of a lot more research than the average recruit. Having reasonable expectations beforehand goes a long way to being satisfied with your decision.

But...(there's always a but right!;))...there are aspects to military life that no amount of research can prepare you for. Military life is so much different than civilian life...that until you get there & experience it...you just won't know if doing 20 years (or longer) in the military is the thing for you. But it sounds like you have a "handle" on many of these aspects...so far fewer surprises when you get there.

Getting back on topic. Like I mentioned earlier...a decent percentage of enlisted military folks pursue college courses either to gain promotion points, or as part of a bigger goal of eventually getting a college degree. So you may ironically find yourself pursuing a college degree in the military (or at least taking some courses)...even after saying some "inflammatory" things in this thread regarding college degrees!;) Ha ha!

Of course this thread originally was dealing with the price of college & going into debt. So taking college courses while in the military will be paid for (or mostly paid for)...if you decide to do it...and basically incur no debt.:)

Good luck (the days are counting down),

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.