• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Playstation Network Friends

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I'm usually around 50- 100 points. There is one race, can't remember which, I struggle at with 10 points.
I am reallly good at the Grand Canyon playing the MR challenge. I use an old 80's Toyota I think it is and have no problem mauling the NSX.
I am not so hot with dirt licence tests and NY. I am pretty good with all the original GT tracks since I've raced them so many times.

We should have a little time challenge tonight eric....

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
grand canyon rally track?

TT on gt4? :D

we have a thread for that somewhere, i'll dig it up. ;)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so i just got dirt a couple days ago, got a used copy from a friend for only 30 bucks :)

very nice game - so if anyone else gets it, let me know! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see, you have time for PS3 but no GT4 free time on your hands?? :p
haha eric, our photos are sorta similar now. The cats in both of our photos are facing in the exact same direction. Now, I have to teach my cat to hit his face when he's frustrated.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
heh. ;)

it'd be easier if i had the 80Gb PS3 and could play them all in my living room. ;)

maybe i just have to move the ps2 back downstairs and come up with some stealth solution so my wife doesn't feel like she's living with a teenager. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, GT4 didn't work with my 80GB when I first got it. I bought a used PS2 from Game stop and hid it behind the PS3. I had the PS3 stand up so the bottom part faced the wall. The PS2 hides behind that behemoth called a PS3 nicely. :) My g/f had no clue I had both.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, my ps3 sits flat on top of our entertainment ctr/armoire. my wife was pretty happy when i'd finally cleaned off the 5 disk cd/dvd player, and huge nakamichi amp/tuner and ps2 off the top. it was a struggle to get the ps3 some real estate up there wihtout her getting upset...

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Because the den (where the nice HDTV is) is my mom's proclaimed land, she allows no gaming consoles in there. I must take mine down in to the messy basement and hook it up down there on the crappy CRT. I have it sitting on a computer cart sort of thing (bought it at staples, it's a desk on wheels kind of thing. i have mine lying on it's back, and it's very nice, except the basement is dusty, MESSY!, and smelly... ugh. at least it's cool so the thing is cool when I leave it to fold@home. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update 2.2 is out with Blu-ray 2.0 support.

Reaction score
Anyone picked up Rainbow Six Vegas 2? It's a pretty good game much like the original, just having a few problems with online at the moment though.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
approximately one week and counting for the US release of

gran turismo 5: prologue

who's getting this (besides me and bry ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boo to you Eric. I wanted to geekily scream "I AM" while jumping up for joy. I can't now that you told everyone I am getting it.

:(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
don't let me stop you from releasing the inner (and/or outer) geek. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L i k e OMG! Gran Turismo.... 5 PROLOGUE!!! :D There's like a million new features... photo realistic grafix, Ferrari, Weezer, the Mars Volta :)... oh and online play! and in car dash simulation.... uh can't remember much else...

But seriously, it's going to be intense. You better get some online time Eric. Don't be letting your wifey tell you what you can and can't do!! :p Oh, you best bring your A game. Make it A+++ game. You're gunna need it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Update 2.3 - Tuesday the 15th - brings DTS HD Master Audio - yeah!!! :D :D

eric, missed your earlier post, but most wives already know they're still living with a teenager. Bet yours does too. ;D

So, I can get Gran Turismo. You'll both have someone you can kick around with one hand tied behind your back.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
absolutely.

luckily she joins in occasionally.

the other night we tried out both nintendo DSs we have in "download play". lots of fun. she also really digs ratchet and clank. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The PS3 laptop- Engadget

I saw an article about DTS HD. What is it and who will it benefit?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, just to give you an idea: the standard core DTS audio track can output 1.5 Mbps while DTS-HD/MA will output up to 24.5 Mbps. Basically this will allow for true lossless 24 bit 192 kHz audio across 6 channels. You'll be able to listen to the original master track in a lossless format.

Similar to Dolby TrueHD which the PS3 is already able to decode.

This is a boon to the audiophiles using their PS3s as their blu-ray player.

For either one of these sound tracks you'll need a HDMI 1.3 cable and receiver since the PS3 doesn't have analog outputs. But, you will not need a receiver that can decode them since the PS3 will send out an already decoded signal. This is a plus or minus depending on whom you talk to.

HD DVD players have had both of these features from the get go and this, along with a still as yet to be completed B-R specification is what has held me back from purchasing a stand-alone B-R player. This makes it even more likely that a PS3 will become my 2nd B-R player also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like I need a new receiver. ;) I've already been yelled at for my sub being too loud. I don't need something that will get more more into my music and movies and games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, a $1200 Sony receiver is certainly out of my budget for some lossless audio. Mine supports DTS and Pro Logic II which works fine for me. Maybe a nicer set of speakers might be what I need anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.