Pictures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (2012), OSX 10.13 High Sierra
Hi All,

Took pics with my Canon Rebel T5, and plugged the card into the MBP.

I need to:
1. View the pics in all detail. viz File Size, so that those which are very large in size can be reduced.

I have been trying several ways/times to view the pics in Finder> Photos, but they are all thumbnails.
How do I get to LIST the files showing the File size.

2. Is there a Free App in the App store which easily allows the file size to be reduced from 1MB plus to about 400KB? I need to share these in my Garden Lovers Whats App Group and it would be cruel to send members large files. And I need to send about 30 pics!

3. Some of the pics I took are over exposed. Is there an easy was to edit them to make them look better? Is there an App for that as well?

Thanks
Mukund

Pune, India

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mukund

Nice to see you back.

What I'd do is connect the camera (or card via adaptor) via a USB lead. Then use Image Capture (found in Applications > Image Capture).

When connected and with Image Capture opened, you will see your Camera or Card listed on the left. Click on its name.

This will list all the pictures on the camera/card with size details. You can then choose either to Import them all or you choose which ones to Import.

You can also choose the destination for the Import. The default is usually Photos app, but you can click on the exposure triangle which will allow Import to Pictures or indeed anywhere you choose on your Mac.

NB The file size can only be adjusted after Import. As far as I know, there is no way to adjust size whilst the pictures are still on the Camera or Card.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep #1 to that, you beat me to it Ian.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area (Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography).

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
Thanks for moving the thread to the correct category. I knew I wasn't in the right one, ut I'm still not au fait with the forum ...
Sorry

Ian,
Many thanks for your response.
Ref "What I'd do is connect the camera (or card via adaptor) via a USB lead. Then use Image Capture (found in Applications > Image Capture)."

Unfortunately, I did not know about it and so did not use Image Capture.
I connected the USB and managed to copy the pics to the MBP. I also selected 'Delete, after copying so now the pics are on longer on my Camera card.

If I open Photos app the pics I took (of my flowers and garden) are all there, but in thumb nail view.
see the screen capture
1595046758035.png

If I go the Finder and look in the Pictures folder I see
1595047018820.png

If I click on the folder Photos Library, once again I get the Photos folder with my JPEG files in Thumbnail, whereas I need to view them in List detail, viz with the file size indicated.

Is there some way to view the files in List Detail ??

Thanks, guys
Mukund 1595046758035.png 1595047018820.png 1595046758035.png 1595047018820.png

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mikund

You've asked a lot of questions, but I'll do my best to answer them and make some comments on the way.

First comment: I suggest that in future you don't use the "Delete after copying" feature. Reasons: you want to be 100% sure that all pics were copied to the Mac and all is well before deleting the pics from the Camera/card. Moreover, I would say that best practice is to delete and reformat the Card from within the camera. This ensures that they are properly deleted and the reformat process means that your next photo shoot goes on to a "fresh" Card.

Next: may I assume that you Imported the pics via Image Capture to your Photos app? This appears to be the case from your posts.

To view your pics, open Photos app. On the Left side you will see a List headed by "Library" and underneath it, the first item is "Photos". Click on that. Your pics will appear as thumbnails to start with.

You can alter the size of the Thumbnails by using the slider on the far Left, just under the top menu bar.

S2.png

To view a particular pic in full size, click on it, then hit the Spacebar. Hitting the spacebar again, reduces it to Thumbnail size.

If you want to know the file size and other metadata for a particular pic, click in the pic and do one of two things: Right Click on the pic and from the list, choose "Get Info" - OR - Left Click on the pic to highlight it and use the Keyboard shortcut, Command plus i (that is i as in information).

You will see something like this:

Screenshot 2020-07-18 at 8.05.23 am☀️.png

The file size is 3.3 MB in this example. As far as I know, there is no "List" view.

For later on, perhaps, you may want to start editing the pics. Click to highlight a pic, then hit the Return key on your keyboard. This will take you into the editing suite. We can discuss that later if needed.

I've no doubt you have other questions? Well, fire away.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi again Mikund:

Now we come to Part 2 - resizing.

You will obviously appreciate that your Photos Library is where you keep your Original and Edited pics. Thus the resizing is done when you Export the pic from the Library - for whatever practical use you want to make of it: post to Facebook, Instagram, upload to an online site, send to a friend, and so on.

To do this, Click on the pic to Highlight it. Then, from the Top Menu bar, click on File > Export, like this:

S1.png

You have a choice: Export 1 Photo = an Edited/Modified pic whereas Export Unmodified = the original. You choose.

If you have not Edited the photo, then you will just get the one option.

When you do that, you will see this:

S2.png

Here you have a lot of choices. Generally, you will Export as JPEG. You can choose Quality, from Low to Maximum. You will most likely want to leave Colour Profile as "Most Compatible".

Then we come to Size. Choices are Small, Medium, Large, Full Size and Custom. The Custom option gives you even more control:

S3.png

Finally, when you click on Export, you can choose where it goes - I use Desktop for ease of use.

How are we doing so far?

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks, Ian

If you take a look at my first screenshot of the photos app, you will notice that the pics are in the top-most folder "Pictures' of the sidebar on the LHS.
If you look further down the sidebar, you will see Albums>My albums>2020-07-16.
Now I created that folder with the intention of having all those pics of my garden which were taken on that date, to be stored in THAT folder.
HOW do I move the pics to THAT folder??
I followed your instructions and exported all those pics to my USB pen drive. (***)

But I needed to have those pics in the 2020-07-16 sub-folder. NOT sitting in the Pictures folder where the entire lot of pics are in one place. If you look under MyAlbums in the side bar you will notice a number of sub-folders. I like to sort my pics in that manner where each sub-folder has a particular set of pics from that even or from that date.
So, in short, is there any way to MOVE selected pics OUT of the Pictures folder and into specific sub-folders???

(***) Coming to the issue of changing the file size.
I have understood your instructions and thank you for them.
For a IBM-dude like me, I used to use a third-party "PhotoResize" from RW-Designer, Germany. Their S/w allows you to dump all the files together into their app and BOOM they all get resized within seconds and then you can forward the smaller sized files.

Do you know if there are any such Apps in the Apple store that will do the same thing??

Oh yes, I had another question about the size of the box in the two screen shots of my previous msg. When I copied them in from the Desktop, they came and filled the screen, I wanted to reduce their size. So I clicked the box to select it and looked for a 'handle' or an arrow on the sides which I could drag to make the box smaller but nothing would happen!

Is there a way to do it?
In your reply above, you have the pics just so nice in size, and neat looking.

By the way, a quick aside question for you. Is there a shortcut in the MBP to move the cursor to the beginning or end of a line? My IBM has a Home and an End key which moves the cursor in a jiffy.

Thanks

I hope you are taking good care to stay in these Covid days.
Cheers, mate
Mukund

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mukund

Sorry Guys - I typed 40+ lines of print and inserted a screenshot, then the Forums crashed and I lost the lot. 40+ lines of explanation and instructions. About 30 minutes+ of work. I'll try later.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mukund

S1.jpg

This is a very, very abbreviated version of my lost post. In the screenshot above taken from your post Mukund, you have created a Folder called 2020-07-16.- Blue arrow.

Folders cannot contain pics, only Albums. So your first job you have to do is create an ALBUM of the same name (File > New Album), name it.

Then highlight all the pics between the 2 Yellow arrows. To do this Click on the first one, then hold down on the Shift key and click on the second Yellow arrow. This will select them all. Then Left Click on any one pic and Drag them all into the your newly created ALBUM. Job done.

I may find time later to explain the structure within Photos. Pics go unto Albums and Albums go into Folders.

And finally to explain: yes your pics are in Pictures, but this is the hierarchy - Macintosh HD > Users > YourName > Pictures > Photos Library.photoslibrary. So all the pics in your screenshot are in the Photos Library which just happens to be within Pictures.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To explain pics, Albums & Folders.

Let's talk holidays. Assume you went on holiday as per this example:

Miami January 2020, another to Scotland April 2020 and Disneyland June 2020.

All the pics from these holidays were Imported into Photos. By clicking on the Photos heading, very top LHS, all your pics will be shown (as in your screenshot).

You could now create 3 Albums called - "Miami Jan 20"; "Scotland April 20";" Disneyland June 20".

Then Left Click/Drag the appropriate pics into each appropriate Album.

You could then create a new FOLDER called Holidays 2020 and drag all 3 Albums into that Folder.

If you used that system for previous years' holidays, you could have Folders called Holidays 2018; Holidays 2019 and Holidays 2020. And each Folder would contain an Album containing all the pics from each holiday of that year.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To answer one of the questions, the way the pictures were imported into Photos means the individual files are now stored inside the Photos database, not as separate files. That is why there is no 'list' view, the images are all inside the Photos database as objects.

You can select multiple images, then Export them all at once. You may be able to resize all of them at that time, although I admit I have never tried that. I do know you can export multiples, just not sure of resizing.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Jake. So frustrating when things go belly up right at the end of the post:mad:.

I've tried to split my reply into segments, as above.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Ian. Also, to be clear so there are no misunderstandings later, by putting images into albums and folders, you are not actually copying them or moving them. You are just marking them to associate them with those albums and folders. The images are all going to be visible in the thumbnail view, unorganized. Again, this is because the actual image files are now objects in the database and you are just changing the attributes of the objects to associate them in various ways. So any given image can be in multiple albums/folders. One benefit of this arrangement is that the original image is always there because the edits you do are also just attributes that are stored in the database.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wowwwww

You guys are TOTALLY AMAZING.

There is so much info packed in these last few posts, that I shall need to read them over and over again a couple of times, for it all to sink in.

Till I do that and post further, this is just to say a very BIG thank you to all of you, and especially to Ian (who seems to have a fund of patience).

THANKS A TON :)

Mukund

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian / Jake,
Is there a guide (like a 101) of how to navigate within Mac-Forums?
I have not understood the structure, and now with a question unrelated to this thread, I don't know how to get back to the Switcher Forum.

As my MBP is a 15" mid-2012 I cannot find a User Guide on the Apple support site. So I can't look up my problem there either.

At the bottom of my screen are a number of apps (19) starting with Finder on the left extreme.
I use WORD and EXCEL regularly but often when I login the apps have disappeared to the Application folder and I have to pull them up.
How can I control WHICH apps will sit in that bottom task bar?
There are a number of apps there which I am not using. Then further down to the right, along the bar, there is a vertical line and then three icons: Applications, Downloads, and Trash can. They seem to be default and thats fine.

Where do I look for instructions on such stuff, instead of bothering you guys with my elementary questions? Wouldn't such a question be right for the "Switcher" category?

Stay safe and well
Cheers,
Mukund

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Switcher forum has gone away. Don't know why, but it has.

As for your question, that bar is the Dock. Here is the Apple User Guide section on the Dock:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/dock-mh35859/mac

That should help you quite a bit. BTW, the entire macOS User Guide is available from that same page if you click on the Table of Contents. Tons of useful information there.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Makund

While you grapple with the macOS User Guide in all its glory and the support guide from Apple re the Dock - and mighty thanks to Jake for both of these - a very quick answer to a couple of posts you raised:

When you open an app, say from Applications, the icon for that app appears at the bottom in the Dock. Whilst it is there, Right Click on it. Up will pop a small list. Click on Options and then Click on "Keep in Dock".

Screenshot 2020-07-22 at 2.47.00 pm?.png

Lastly, I suggest that you retain the default with regard to 2 of the things to the right of the vertical line in the Dock. You don't have to, but they are for easy access to Applications and Downloads. The Trash Can has to stay there. The other two are up to you.

Happy reading.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian and Jake,

Merci Beaucoup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The Switcher forum has gone away. Don't know why, but it has.

OT and just wondering and no offence, but I was wondering how and why mukund gets labled Well-known member in his account profile, especially considering his recent joining date:
mukund
Joined Apr 18, 2020

Odd that he gets labelled the same as pigoo3... definitely a Well-known member and Admin member... ???

Just curious and wondering... :D

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.