photo auto-rename

krs

Reaction score
Hmmm....
At this point I would probably reinstall Mojave.
Or maybe first run Disk Utility.
Is there any one else following this thread who is running Mojave to see what they get?
For me, it doesn't matter how I move or copy - I always get "Keep Both" (unless I hit the Option key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I use the "Find," then "Copy," then "Paste" commands at the top bar of the screen when I attempt to Copy files from one folder to another.
When trying to move, I highlight the files I want to move, hold the "Shift" key and the mouse to drag them to the new folder.
Also, they are all on one drive, using the desktop.
What application are you using that has this menu? Finder? Something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac 3.7 GHz 32 GB, 2013 15" McBk Pro Retina 16 GB-Both OS 11.5.2, iPhone 12Mx, iPads
Have you considered changing your file naming pattern? I use an 11 digit file name for my images, but you could shorten it a couple digits if you only shoot with one camera and don't need that info. Using todays date, it would be 200815 (20 is the year, 08 is the month, 15 is the day of the month), that way each file has a unique name. If you are doing less than 999 files at a time, all you would need is to start the first file as 001, sequentially through your 200 some odd files. I use your OS systems "Automator" application to add the date and that can be done a folder at a time, if the exact date of when the file was taken isn't important you could do the folder you have currently gathered your files into, 999 files at a time by changing the the "day" part of the sequence by going back a few day into the past.
You could still leave the "photo" part of the name that you currently have by adding a "-" at the end of your digits, giving you "200815-photo001.jpg" or have "Automator" remove "photo" and have "200815001" through your 200 some odd file. "Automator" works in the finder to do the naming changes. Initially it will be a bit of work but it is better than loosing images files the way you are currently doing it...

I usually put the folder I am using this naming sequence to an upper level in the Finder, such as the Desktop Folder or Downloads Folder so you don't have to dig very deep into each folder to find them.

BE Well,
Greg

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.