Ok computer dummy needs help again. Spinning rainbow wheel of death.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That looks a lot better, all things considered.

To get into Safe Boot Mode, the Mac need to be shutdown, then booted and then push and hold down the shift key, but just when you hear the startup chime and until you see a spinning grey gear, and it will eventual boot to a login screen.

Choose your admin username and enter the password, and it will finish booting into Safe Boot mode.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok Guys, I need to get back to this. I had a few things around the house pull me away and now I am back to needing to get this thing taken care of. I am getting some conflicting info here, RAM or Harddrive and why?

Thanks so much, you guys have been such a big help to me in the past. I hope I can get this thing fixed.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, and welcome back, and it's been a while so I had to go back over this thread.

I think most would concur the at least 4GB RAM would help and that iMac can only use 6GB total, but as for the hard drive, I'm curious why you apparently replaced the original HDD 7200RPM with a 5400RPM HDD. That alone would provide some slowdown usually.

So get 4GB RAM installed as a minimum and replace the HDD with a 7200RPM model, and my recommendation would be to use a WD Black 7200RPM HDD, and then clone the existing drive to the newer replacement with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) — assuming you're going to be using that iMac for a bit longer.

We have the similar setup with a late 2007 2.4GHz 24" iMac SL 10.6.8 and 6GB RAM and the WD Black 7200RPM HDD and it works very well thanks. ;)
Tour iMac specs:
iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.8 24-Inch (Early 2008) Specs (Early 2008, MB325LL/A, iMac8,1, A1225, 2211) @ EveryMac.com

PS: Just cloning the drive to a pristine properly partition/formatted drive often provides a speed increase, especially when using CCC. Works every time I've done so. :D

Reaction score
Bottom line, you don't have enough memory. You need to up it to at least 4 gig, preferably 6 gig.
You're using swap space on the drive because of not enough memory. That's the drive noise you hear.
It's reading and writing more than usual due to swapping things in and out of the available memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with cradom and that amount of free memory backs him up.

When you quit an application, or program if you call them that, use the 'Quit' command rather than click on the red dot which merely closes the window and leaved the application running.

OP
M
Reaction score
First let me thank you, second I want to make it clear just how stupid I am, I had to google "HDD". :D

I can replace the floor, quarter panels and frame rails in a 2014 Lexus and not thing a thing of it, but this stuff is just not in my wheelhouse. :D Thanks so much for helping me out.

I replaced the original HDD :)D) because it simply failed. As far as going to the slower one, I have no idea why, I guess it was a brain fart. Or being I know nothing, I simply didn't know.

On the CCC what exactly is that? I have a "passport" external hd to protect me,is that what you mean?

Craig, that makes sense to this bodyman's head that it's "swapping things in and out" like house cleaning, but only moving it somewhere else.

I'll start with the RAM and go from there, thanks guys.

Brian

OP
M
Reaction score
Agree with cradom and that amount of free memory backs him up.

When you quit an application, or program if you call them that, use the 'Quit' command rather than click on the red dot which merely closes the window and leaved the application running.

Thanks, yeah I will go back and forth from using "quit" I will do that more.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CCC = Carbon Copy Cloner.

CCC is a cloning application that can be used for creating a cloned and bootable backup or duplicate if you like, bootable hard drive amongst other things.

They just recently released a newer paid commercial version:
https://bombich.com/features

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the passport isn't doing the same thing?

Brian

What's the passport being used for? And I'm assuming it's a USB WD Passport drive.

I'll assume it may be used for Time machine backup? If so, that will backup your data, or should be if it's working, but it's not bootable as a cloned bootable backup would be.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an external hard drive used with Time Machine. So the CCC is a "bootable" clone in that it's more than a hard drive but a "computer" that can be fired up to get stuff of it?

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sort of, CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) is just software that can create a bootable clone (duplicate) all the data/software of the normal internal hard drive to an external connected hard drive, i.e. your USB WD Passport.

So it can act as a backup as well as a bootable drive that could be used with a similar or compatible model Mac in case your Mac went kaput or you wanted to service or repair your own Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
So if I put a new hard drive in my Mac the Passport doesn't have all the software on it to reinstall on the new hard drive?

Brian

C

chas_m

Yes, your Time Machine backup has all the stuff -- the system, the apps, your media, documents, everything.

But you can boot the computer off a Time Machine drive to put a system on a new hard drive. That's essentially the difference between a Time Machine drive and a clone.

The Time Machine backup not being bootable is not a problem if you've, say, bought a newer Mac, since it has a system already on it. But having only a Time Machine backup isn't that helpful if the new hard drive doesn't yet have a system on it.

Anyway, although most everyone has been saying you need more RAM (and you do), I think the hard drive was starting to fail. They can do that at any time, though normally they work just fine for years (think light bulbs for a good analogy).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, your Time Machine backup has all the stuff -- the system, the apps, your media, documents, everything.

But you can boot the computer off a Time Machine drive to put a system on a new hard drive. That's essentially the difference between a Time Machine drive and a clone.
… ….

Hmmm…??? Spell check acting up?? "But you can boot the computer off a Time Machine drive…"

Just to save some confusion. ;) Bold mine.

Reaction score
But you can't boot the computer off a Time Machine drive to put a system on a new hard drive. That's essentially the difference between a Time Machine drive and a clone.
Fixed it For Ya

OP
M
Reaction score
Update, I doubled the RAM...it seemed to help for an hour or so, no kidding, then back to the spinning rainbow wheel of death. It hung in for another week or so then crashed a horrible death.

I put another hard drive and it's working great! I needed the extra RAM anyway so no big deal.

I do have to say that Time Machine with an external hard drive (I have a PASSPORT) is amazing!

I put a flash drive with the Maverick operating system in a USB port and turned it on. After a big of time trying to figure out what the **** it wanted me to do click on things that didn't exist and that sort of thing. I finally got it going uploading what was on the PASSPORT onto the new hard drive. About 45 minutes later I look over and there was my desktop with my darling little grand daughter playing! I did nothing more, it works like a charm with every thing as if nothing ever happened.

Thank you all for the help, I appreciated it greatly.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume you formatted the new drive for the recommended Mac format and didn't bypass that part before restoring?? ;)

Just suggesting and trying to avoid any possible problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.