New/Different Features of the New Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Help... I must be really dense as I cannot seem to find a way to edit text or to put pasted text as a quote.

I cannot even select text I have just finished typing If I wanted to edit it. I can manage to go backwards using the backwards delete key, but that is too awkward and slow, but I can get the insertion point to insert at various places. Not exactly a standard Mac type editing feature method.

- Patrick
=======

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's not exactly 100% you Patrick...it's more of a forum thing. If you're composing a message...and need to select some text you have written to be modified, removed, or moved...when you click & drag the cursor over the text you want to work with/modify...the highlighting color when selecting the text is too light of a color. This needs to be fixed.

If you look very very closely while trying to highlight some text to modify...you will see a light silver or light gray highlighting color. This can be difficult to see against the white background color. This highlighting color needs to be darkened.

If you're currently using one of the "MF Traditional" styles...if you were to switch to the "MF Dark" style...you can see things better when highlighting text in the message composition area.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Nick.

Thanks for the info as to how it is, or is not, working, that makes it easier to cope with as far as the editing goes, But how do I get pasted text to show as quoted as we were able to do with the old VBulletin software???

I do not see a "quote icon" to use, or am I just blind.

Thanks,

- Patrick
======

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK Nick.

Thanks for the info as to how it is, or is not, working, that makes it easier to cope with as far as the editing goes, But how do I get pasted text to show as quoted as we were able to do with the old VBulletin software???

What I usually do is click on the "reply" link in the lower right corner of a post I want to reply to & quote. This quotes the entire reply (which is what I did to your quoted post in this message)...then I may shorten the quoted content if not all 100% is applicable to the the reply I'm composing.

HTH,

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
It's not exactly 100% you Patrick...it's more of a forum thing. If you're composing a message...and need to select some text you have written to be modified, removed, or moved...when you click & drag the cursor over the text you want to work with/modify...the highlighting color when selecting the text is too light of a color. This needs to be fixed.

Glad I read this post.

I was just about to fiddle with my monitor settings - I thought something had gone haywire there.

But interestingly - if you try to highlight text in an existing post, the highlighting colour is a nicely visible light blue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Nick.

Thanks,

- Patrick
======

Hey this is weird, I just went to reply to Nick's post and I see the above "quoted" message already entered and a red "Post reply" Button ready to be pressed, and it was still there after refreshing the page.

But I did get his reply, but the method seems rather awkward and I might just use something like this:
" Nick wrote: What I usually do is click on the "reply" link in the lower right corner of a post I want to reply to & quote. "

But now I'll have a look at what krs just posted.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How to quote text:

Copy and paste text into post
Highlight text you want to quote
Select "quote" in the dropdown (•••)

View attachment 31760

Thanks krs,
that looks like it should work for me but the drops-down weren't working for me earlier but they are now.

Patrick said ...test quote

Hot **** ... it works... :D

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Patrick:

You can quote selected text in XenForo by highlighting the text you wish to use, then right click and then select reply from the small menu that will pop up. Here is an example:

Hey this is weird, I just went to reply to Nick's post and I see the above "quoted" message already entered and a red "Post reply" Button ready to be pressed, and it was still there after refreshing the page.

And as Nick advised you, it's best to switch to Dark Mode as the highlighted text will show up clearly as either a pinkish or red like color. Depending on your monitor and eyeglasses. :)

Charlie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie wrote: You can quote selected text in XenForo by highlighting the text you wish to use,

Gee... what's XenForo???

And as Nick advised you, it's best to switch to Dark Mode

I can't do that In Mavericks, It can only run Google Chrome Version 67.0 And version Chrome 73 Is needed to run its dark mode it seems:

https://www.cnet.com/news/dark-mode-comes-to-google-chrome-on-macos/

Anyway, I can manage with Google Chrome's glaring ' white and I'm wearing my Overpriced expensive Digital-Viewing eyeglasses with their antiglare Etc.. :D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gee... what's XenForo???

Not sure if that's a "tongue in cheek" question.... but XenForo is the software that our forum is using.

And as far as your version of Chrome not supporting Dark Mode, you can always try Safari or another browser to see if it works there.

krs

Reaction score
And as Nick advised you, it's best to switch to Dark Mode as the highlighted text will show up clearly as either a pinkish or red like color. Depending on your monitor and eyeglasses.

I really hope the highlighted text in traditional mode gets changed to something more visible.

I tried Dark Mode yesterday and it's really hard on my eyes.
It was so bad I had to revert back to the traditional mode after only a few minutes in dark mode just to keep using the forum.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
"Tongue in cheek" Meant to be taken as a joke even though it may appear/sound serious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
great job on how image attachments work now. I like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can quote selected text in XenForo by highlighting the text you wish to use, then right click and then select reply from the small menu that will pop up. Here is an example:

Hey, hot ****, that works very well, Thanks Charlie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if that's a "tongue in cheek" question.... but XenForo is the software that our forum is using.

And as far as your version of Chrome not supporting Dark Mode, you can always try Safari or another browser to see if it works there.

It was a very serious question thanks, I just hadn't checked to see what the new software was called.

As for Dark Mode, I really don't appreciate it from the examples I have seen.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
great job on how image attachments work now. I like it.
Yes - easy - peasy
Couldn't be simpler - that's the way it should be.

So far I really like this forum and the way things work much better than VBulletin.

It was also impressive that Nick very quickly got an answer from the developers about saving tiff images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jolly funny. Yes, we of slow fingers give more thought to what we post - which may take some time:smile:wink
Ian

I wish I had that for an excuse, unfortunately some psoriasis has migrated to my hands and fingers along with some associated arthritis and rheumatism which is getting worse, even with some prescribed medications that are supposed to help. Unfortunately, they are not, so I'm guessing some may see the "Typing Banner" show up while I type away or attempt to use Apple's built-in dictation.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick....

Sorry to hear about all your ailments. I suppose some of it can be attributed to getting older. Unfortunately, that happens to our bodies as we age and it's not a matter of trading it in for a new model. But since you folks up there in Canada country have all that free "Apple Care" :rofl at least it's not costing you a fortune to see a doctor and get medication. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
at least it's not costing you a fortune to see a doctor and get medication. ;)

Unfortunately, neither my wife nor I qualify to get our medications paid for or even a percentage, but Costco's Pharmacy pricing sure helps.

And yes, aging does bring on a lot of new ailments, but the alternative doesn't seem to look very attractive to us. :D

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.