New/Different Features of the New Mac-Forums

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As you may have noticed...there are some new/different features & ways of doing things with the new Mac-Forums.

We will use this thread as a way of introducing some of these new/different items. Also feel free to post here if you discover something new/different/interesting. I'm sure other members would love to hear & learn about it as well.:)

Thanks

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A new/different feature of the new software is the ability to "Like" a post. At the bottom-right of each & every thread post is a "Like" link:

View attachment 31745

If you hover over the "Like" link...currently you get these choices:

Like Choices.png

With the previous Mac-Forums site...we had the reputation system. With new Mac-Forums...these "Likes" ARE the new system for rewarding members for information they post.:)

Each of the "Like" choices is associated with a value that adds or subtracts from a members "Likes" total. These "Likes" should be thought of in a similar fashion as the previous Mac-Forums reputation system. A system that can help other members (especially newer members) judge how reliable the information posted by an individual member is...as well as the quality of individual posts.

As an example (from another site)...this is what will be seen at the bottom of an individual post once the post receives one or more "Likes":

View attachment 31748

As can be seen:

* Various "Like" icons are visible.
* Individual usernames of some members that "Liked" the post can be seen.
* Once the number of "Likes" exceeds approximately 3...then the member username list is truncated.

This Like list (whether 1 Like or many Likes)...can also be clicked on...and then a complete list of everyone who liked the post can be seen...as well as an info snapshot for each member that Liked the post.

Definitely give the Like system a try. It's the way forum members can reward each other for the quality of their posts & for the time they take creating quality posts.:)

Thanks

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
A new/different feature of the new software is the ability to "Like" a post. At the bottom-right of each & every thread post is a "Like" link:

View attachment 31745

If you hover over the "Like" link...currently you get these choices:

View attachment 31746

With the previous Mac-Forums site...we had the reputation system. With new Mac-Forums...these "Likes" ARE the new system for rewarding members for information they post.:)

Each of the "Like" choices is associated with a value that adds or subtracts from a members "Likes" total. These "Likes" should be thought of in a similar fashion as the previous Mac-Forums reputation system. A system that can help other members (especially newer members) judge how reliable the information posted by an individual member is...as well as the quality of individual posts.

As an example (from another site)...this is what will be seen at the bottom of an individual post once the post receives one or more "Likes":

View attachment 31748

As can be seen:

* Various "Like" icons are visible.
* Individual usernames of some members that "Liked" the post can be seen.
* Once the number of "Likes" exceeds approximately 3...then the member username list is truncated.

This Like list (whether 1 Like or many Likes)...can also be clicked on...and then a complete list of everyone who liked the post can be seen...as well as an info snapshot for each member that Liked the post.

Definitley give the Like system a try. It's the way forum members can reward each other for the quality of their posts & for the time they take creating quality posts.:)

Thanks

- Nick
I don''t see a like button? Only the reply button.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

Looks like your account is having some issues based on your other issues.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Please give a another try. Hopefully the "Like" link/button is now visible.

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I see it, both on macOS and iOS Safari, works really well although on my iPhone when I press and hold to select reaction options that tends to select the text as well, as if I wanted to copy or edit the text.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Because I like Dark Mode I have chosen this appearance but I note that the Mac Forums banner is a bit dark. Not sure if matters a lot, just an observation. Gives me a reason to attach an image to a post in iOS, something I've never tried on an iOS browser. View attachment 31749 View attachment 31749

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oops, not sure how I did that. For some reason it attached the same image twice.
I just learned how to edit a post, very intuitive. I won't remove the second image (or you won't know what I'm talking about) but I now know how.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have no idea how much I'm enjoying this, the website on iOS works so well which is not only great but so timely. This morning I attempted to connect to our National Broadband Network (Fibre) with the home delivered components only to be told by my ISP it may take 48hrs or more to connect. In the meantime I cannot use my old ADSL service either so no internet at all other than via 4G mobile. I have learned a lot about personal hotspots in a very short time. I can even run my Aplle TV off my iPhone. So this site update is perfect timing for me.
PS love the "progress" bar animation when I change/load different pages, very cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Please give a another try. Hopefully the "Like" link/button is now visible.

- Nick
Yes, the like button is there now, thanks.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have no idea how much I'm enjoying this, the website on iOS works so well which is not only great but so timely. This morning I attempted to connect to our National Broadband Network (Fibre) with the home delivered components only to be told by my ISP it may take 48hrs or more to connect. In the meantime I cannot use my old ADSL service either so no internet at all other than via 4G mobile. I have learned a lot about personal hotspots in a very short time. I can even run my Aplle TV off my iPhone. So this site update is perfect timing for me.
PS love the "progress" bar animation when I change/load different pages, very cool.

Thanks for all the mobile experience feedback Rod!

A greatly enhanced Mac-Forums mobile experience was one of the major expectations of the new much more modern forum software. Great to hear that the Mac-Forums mobile experience is greatly improved!:)

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Those of us who are slow typists, or otherwise take time to compose a post, you might be glad to know that if someone adds to the thread while you are composing a post in the same thread you see a message to that effect. The message appears just above the post composition window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Looks bright, clean, exciting! Like the 'like' feature.

krs

Reaction score
Those of us who are slow typists, or otherwise take time to compose a post, you might be glad to know that if someone adds to the thread while you are composing a post in the same thread you see a message to that effect. The message appears just above the post composition window.

Yes, I have seen that on other forums - could be quite handy

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

That's you and me sorted then, Sly:)

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's you and me sorted then, Sly:)

Ian
Now what we need a clear indicator of when Sly and Ian are posting in a thread so the rest of us can troll them. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's another interesting feature of the new forum software. When you include a link in a post...instead of just getting a URL link to click on...you actually get a mini image of the URL. Here are two examples for Apple & Mac-Forums:

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Now what we need a clear indicator of when Sly and Ian are posting in a thread so the rest of us can troll them. :)

Jolly funny. Yes, we of slow fingers give more thought to what we post - which may take some time:smile:wink

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.