• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Apple commercials

Reaction score
I think those that don't like the ads, who think that the Apple advertising department missed the mark...

....maybe we should consult the South Park guys into making ads for Apple?

Now, THAT would be funny...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
lil said:
According to Gfx, Mac marketshare stands at circa 1.9%. We supply data at work to Gfx which they compile into sales trends, marketshare etc.

http://www.gfkms.com/

Vicky

I think the main argument I hear about these marketshare figures is that they are sales based. Sales figure are the most concrete and platform neutral metric I can think of, but they have this one flaw:

I have 5 macs (all working perfectly and productively). I haven't bought a mac since 2001. Meanwhile my university has upgraded its entire fleet (with very few exceptions involving loss of compatibility with newer hardware etc.) of windoze boxes twice since 2000.

Now by a sales point of view it is clear that Apple has done something wrong, but by a consumer point of view they are doing it right. That is just my two cents.... Discuss...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
drummaman1 said:
I think those that don't like the ads, who think that the Apple advertising department missed the mark...

....maybe we should consult the South Park guys into making ads for Apple?

Now, THAT would be funny...

That'd be interesting - *Cartman berates Kyle, saying Macs are for Jews, Stan sees Wendy, vomits on PC, and Kenny gets fried by crashing Dell computer*

L

lil

jhelm007 said:
I think the main argument I hear about these marketshare figures is that they are sales based. Sales figure are the most concrete and platform neutral metric I can think of, but they have this one flaw:

I have 5 macs (all working perfectly and productively). I haven't bought a mac since 2001. Meanwhile my university has upgraded its entire fleet (with very few exceptions involving loss of compatibility with newer hardware etc.) of windoze boxes twice since 2000.

Now by a sales point of view it is clear that Apple has done something wrong, but by a consumer point of view they are doing it right. That is just my two cents.... Discuss...

In Which case in the census (worldwide this is) we need another question.

"Which computer do you use:

[1] IBM PC Compatible/Windows
[2] Apple Macintosh
[3] ..."

Again, logistically—you can see why sales figures is the closest at this present moment we will get to knowing a kind of marketshare.

After all, with the iPod having something like an 80% marketshare of the portable Mp3 sector, is that figure accurate or not as well?

I'm not trying to down Apple here at all, I'm just trying to be realistic and cut through some of the marketing hype and conjecture and derive an honest appraisal of the situation.

Every statistic has a flaw and their biggest flaw is that just about everyone hates them when they don't swing in favour of your argument, product etc.

Looking at this at a deeper level, one could reason that PCs running Windows are bought as a tool—like a supercharged typewriter and filing system, where as Macs are more of an overarching solution as opposed to being a bit part in that solution. This one is hard to express, but put simply—people generally associated PCs as having no character and being that box in the corner, or the source of grief, or the deity that tells me how much of X we have in stock. Macs however adopt personas and therefore have increased value in that sense and are less disposable in that sense.

Sure, price of objects comes into play, but we all derive value of an object through many other subconscious means which we ascribe upon that object—and those reasons derived may conclude that a PC is more disposable since it is just a tool, and therefore can be bought in bulk too...

hard to explain what I am thinking exactly but there is some sense inside of me!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Ya i really like the restarting one just because its such a major windows problems!

L

Logan

I think the ads were a good move.
Even me, someone who tries to be unbiased on operating systems doesn't usually touch Macintosh...

Watching that ad made me think "I really should go check it out some more.. I'll buy a system.. I know they're reliable, I know they aren't vulnerable.... and they're a whole lot simpler than setting up a *nix system....

As far as the average consumer, most don't even realize the content :)
I think if you want to sell to the consumer you have to say things like

"Macintosh has guarenteed pop up blockers" and a million consumers will go WOW? I don't have to use internet explorer and a billion spyware apps anymore? WEEEEEE...

Well, assuming Mac doesn't have pop up issues. (I use Opera and it's Mac compatible I believe...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Logan said:
"Macintosh has guarenteed pop up blockers" and a million consumers will go WOW? I don't have to use internet explorer and a billion spyware apps anymore? WEEEEEE...

I think you mean (Nintendo) Wii (iii!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I thought they were fun.. and then I went over to some friends houses and they absolutely love the commercials and are probably going to buy a Mac soon... So that was interesting in the least.. it sounds like the ads are doing their job :)

J

jy106

They should do an 'Aging' one. Saying that the windows man is the same age as the mac man.

L

lil

Ahh as good as the ageing idea is, Apple wants to sell you a new Mac all the time and saying they age better even though they do—will not help sales from their POV

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
Mattlike said:
I caught one during Prison Break last night. Good stuff. :D
AH! fellow prison break watcher!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.