• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Apple commercials

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i love everything you just said Vicky.............................well phrased!

hit the nail on the head!!

L

Left Face Down

I was watching those last night, I liked them though I think it may cuase a "trend" in young people which could lead to go or bad things. Why do I say this, well the Mac computer is a guy that's probably around 20 and the PC is a guy that's probably closer to 40.

They're rather clever, but I can see a lot of people getting a Mac and being like ***? I can't run so and so program on this computer that I could on Windows? This is just taking in the general stupidity of people in to account though.

Past that, I found "Network" to be the best. I'm not exactly sure why, but I just found it funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I think they are funny, it does some knocking at the PC's but it does show the other side of what macs do also - better too.

The restarting one is great. Clever. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.16 GHZ C2D 120 MB HD Mac Mini Duo 2 GB ram
The ads were quite amusing. definitely we can see that they are targeting the potential switcher crowd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Threads have been merged, so somethings might feel out of order :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Funny, I just saw the Wall Street Journal one while watching House.

Reaction score
lil said:
If Mac advertising has worked—then why does the Macintosh still have a small market share proportionally?

Just my two cents.

Oh and how about actually showing these ads more in countries outside of the US like here in the UK.

Vicky

Apple has a small market share because Apple's products are basically aimed at a certain kind of people: Fairly educated, Well-earning people with a sense of style over functionality.
The dell box is aimed at every other person on the planet who doesn't knwo how to use a computer at all. The mac is not aiming for a 90% market share, it's only aiming to get those fairly-educated, well-earning people who are using windows to use a mac. Not EVERY windows user.
Besides, Apple's roadmap definitely always plans for thos creative professionals, in a field where they hold more than 60% of the market share.
On a consumer level, Apple is trying to reach out to a small group. Notice that in order to understand the ads, you can't be a first time computer user, and you will have to have had SOME kind of experience with a PC.

Reaction score
Game2954 said:
The ads were quite amusing. definitely we can see that they are targeting the potential switcher crowd.

yogi said:
Apple has a small market share because Apple's products are basically aimed at a certain kind of people: Fairly educated, Well-earning people with a sense of style over functionality.
The dell box is aimed at every other person on the planet who doesn't knwo how to use a computer at all. The mac is not aiming for a 90% market share, it's only aiming to get those fairly-educated, well-earning people who are using windows to use a mac. Not EVERY windows user.
Besides, Apple's roadmap definitely always plans for thos creative professionals, in a field where they hold more than 60% of the market share.
On a consumer level, Apple is trying to reach out to a small group. Notice that in order to understand the ads, you can't be a first time computer user, and you will have to have had SOME kind of experience with a PC.

So who is it aimed at?
The switcher or
The fairly educated, Well-earning people with a sense of style over functionality.

If it’s aimed at the former its waste of a campaign just like the switcher Ads. Were.

If it’s aimed at the latter. It sounds like your preaching to the converted.

In my experience on a tech support help line. It's Mac people that don’t know how to use computers in general. That’s why they buy an all in one box.
PC users are much more likely to upgrade fiddle with and add parts to their PCs.
Also I think in general on a tech support help line, it seems I am able to get a PC user to do allot of things easier then it is with a Mac Person. I am not sure why this is the case?
This of course is a generalisation.

I think these Ads are very much Apple style. Very much like the switcher Ads.

But who’s is there Project manager for these Ads?
Would they have not looked at past campaigns and said. Well this style of Ads did not work. Apple is still low market share. Let’s try something else?

Compare the cool Ipod Ads. To this crud??

Reaction score
It's interesting how this is tying in with the whole change in naming schemes of apple's computers (i.e., to include the Mac in them) and it makes me wonder how long apple have been thinking about this and what other ads they have planned.

I like vicky's idea of showcasing OS X in use, hopefully this will come later. I think Apple would like to get people thinking "what the heck are Macs and what are they like?" first though, which explains these ads.

I like the ads anyway, they were fun to watch, networking is my favorite (aparently the japanese women says something like "who is this dork/nerd?" in reference to "PC")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
zeta101 said:
I like vicky's idea of showcasing OS X in use, hopefully this will come later. I think Apple would like to get people thinking "what the heck are Macs and what are they like?" first though, which explains these ads.

People have been wanting Apple to do that for the last 20+ years. So far, they really have not.

L

lil

Indeed we haven't :(

We saw the brilliance that was 1984, but at its very basic sense it was a jab at IBM.

Then there was Lemmings which offended a load of business peeps as they took another jab at IBM PC compatibles.

...they continued to do this...Windows 95 was denounced (perhaps rightly so but it did make PCs so much better) with that advert of that chap doing a presentation and it failing with someone yelling out "Get a Macintosh!".

...Apple smoked Intel (a funny add but still sticking the boot in...) in 1997...and it has pretty much continued to do the same thing again and again and again...

The average joe has no idea what makes a Mac different when it comes to the crunch, they know its different from a PC, but not how. They also see it as a very mutually exclusive arrangement, ie; PC or Mac, or Unix—not PC and Mac and Unix if you see what I mean.

This came up time and time again from when I worked at the Apple Store, iPod buyers decided to see what this Mac thing was anyway.

After a few minutes in iLife, they were wowed. Some started to show interest in buying a Mac, some did not as they weren't in the market. People were also impressed how interoperable the Macintosh is these days. Heck my PowerBook is a little bit of a odd duckling in my workplaces' Windows environment yet it does everything and can access everything the Windows machines on the domain can.

People need to understand what a Mac really is, why it is really better.

Sure very few/no viruses, sure there are far less freezes/crashes, sure it has 'better' apps...but dang the Mac is so much more fun and interesting than that, so much more. Otherwise people will just continue to view it as that "supposedly securer stable machine" as opposed to that "kick *** fun machine that can allow us to share our photos easily, make a family website, edit our holiday movies and burn them to DVD, not forgetting writing my folks letters in Microsoft Word and making cracking new art in Illustrator and Photoshop...."...

Sometimes Apple's advertising is the salesman's biggest problems when it comes to selling an Apple product when the consumer has it in their mind that the Mac is constantly about rivalry with Windows and sticking the boot in now and then...

Bluntly put—Apple's Mac advertising department, smell the coffee and grow up! ;) (ok so that is quite harsh, but I'm sick of these samey kind of adverts)

Vicky

Reaction score
yogi said:
The mac is not aiming for a 90% market share, it's only aiming to get those fairly-educated, well-earning people who are using windows to use a mac.

BS.. Apple is a company. Their goal is to make money. If they could they would sell a computer and iPod to every person in the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple is a company, but with a bit of a twist. While they would willingly sell computers to anyone and everyone I don't think their goal is to become market dominant or supplant MS. I think Steve is still a Hippy at heart and the goal is still to "Make a dent in the Universe", not own it. Much of that shows in the styling and marketing of Apples products including the new ads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has never been a priority, or goal, for Apple or Steve and I see no reason that it would have changed. Sure they would like to increase there market share but dominance in the PC market is not their goal.

I don't know how much you know about Apple or Steve, but if you do some reading about the history of both it will make more sense.

Reaction score
baggss said:
It has never been a priority, or goal, for Apple or Steve

What have they done from a business prespective that would demonstrate this point?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Their advertising campaigns are a prime example. They have consistently not capitalized on their chances to dominate the market, or even significantly boost market share, even when Bill Gates told them how, and will likely continue to do so. This is not strictly a business issue, much of it has to do with Steve Jobs and his personality. Most of the highly talented people in Apple over the years, especially Steve, have considered themselves Artists, not engineers or businessmen. Even when "real" businessmen were in charge, they became pseudo "artists". The Culture of the company is so ingrained that I don''t think it will change. It almost killed them once when they strayed from it.

I'm not saying that Apple is not in business to make money, I am saying the drive to make money is not necessarily the same as companies like MS, IBM and so on. As I said, do some research on both Apple and Steve, and why they are how they are will make much more sense.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.